Get FREE shipping with your $35 order with code FREESHIP35

rachel0017

Cherry Picker

July 2024 Book Lover’s Challenge
Thank you to everyone who participated this month! The winner of the $5 gift card is #17: SandyJay and the winner of the automatic entry for August is #8: MaganL.

What are the limits of love and grief and when, if ever, is it ok to let go?

These are just some of the questions at the core of Emily Habeck’s debut novel, Shark Heart. Wren and Lewis have a love story most dream of: devoted to each other, supportive of one another, and each makes the other one better. They are true soul mates. So how are they to react when, just months after their wedding, Lewis starts feeling ill and receives a devastating diagnosis? He has a genetic mutation which will cause him to slowly, but undoubtedly turn into a great white shark.

As Lewis delves headlong into all the projects he wants to try before his transformation is complete, Wren begins evaluating all the relationships that have led her to this point in her life. Her tumultuous childhood, which she has tried to keep hidden from every important person in her life. The intensity of her first serious romantic relationship. Her budding friendship with a Tiny Pregnant Woman who, she learns, is carrying twin birds in her womb.

Can Lewis and Wren’s love survive when one is shark and one is human? When faced with an impossible choice, is it better to lead with one’s head, or one’s heart?

OPTION 1: ANIMALS OF THE OCEAN
Bit by bit, Lewis begins developing both the physical and behavioral qualities of the most dangerous and carnivorous animal in the ocean. I have never seen a shark in person (thankfully!), but I have seen other ocean animals such as dolphins and sea turtles. For Option 1, make a layout featuring an ocean animal. Note that it is not enough to just have a photo of the animal, but the animal must be the subject of the page.

OPTION 2: AN ALTERNATE TELLING
In addition to the unique subject matter and magical realism feel of this novel, the story itself is told in a variety of formats. Lewis is a high school theatre teacher, so some chapters are presented as scripts of a play, some are written as poems, and still others are straight prose. For Option 2, choose a different way to tell the story of your page in your journaling. You must use one of the following styles:
  • a script
  • a poem
  • a letter (to or from one of the people/animals/objects in one of your photos)
  • song lyrics
  • a persuasive “essay” (and by “essay”, I really just mean at least 3 or 4 sentences)

The Fine Print:
1. HAVE FUN MAKING YOUR PROJECT!
2. Entries open to new projects - paper, digital, & card making.
3. May be combined with one other challenge that allows it.
4. Due July 31st, at 11:59 PM.
5. One lucky winner, chosen at random, will receive a $5 ACOT gift card from me!
6. Up to 3 entries permitted per month.
7. If there are more than 15 unique entries (not including bonuses) during the month, a second name will be drawn and that person will get an automatic entry for the following month.

Participants:
1. SandyJay
2. stinkerbelle
3. MaganL
4. karen c.
5. MaganL
6. Trek
7. Donna_Coughlin
8. MaganL
9. wendycrowe
10. Donna_Coughlin
11. blbabe1234
12. joannie
13. lilkoala3
14. kacarr61
15. aheatfan
16. mizz_kitty21
17. SandyJay
18. lilkoala3
19. wazzu94
20. mizz_kitty21
21. Art_Teacher
22. mizz_kitty21
23. stinkerbellee
24. ScrappyRN74 
25. ScrappyRN74
26. ScrappyRN744
27. lisn2cats
28. CynthiaB
29. lilkoala3
30. hsblair

lilkoala3

Bowl Full of Cherries

Re: July 2024 Book Lover’s Challenge
Ooohhh... Option 2 sounds fun for this journaling lover! Can you elaborate a bit more on the "persuasive" part of the essay option? Could you give me an example?

Also, for option 1, I'm assuming a page about a trip to the aquarium wouldn't work, since it's not focusing on one, specific animal?
Leslie

joannie

Bowl Full of Cherries

I was thinking for option 1 to use pics from the zoo. I took a dozen pics of the seals/sea lions!! 
- joannie

Image Image ImageImageImage

traveler

Chocolate Covered Cherry

I was thinking this was too early because we have a snorkeling trip planned for later this year, but then I realized I have some very cool aquarium photos that I plan to scrap soon.

Also are cards with ocean animals ok? I have so many shark and other fish stamps and dies.

And I have seen a shark in the wild many times, but not one of the really dangerous species. 
Louise

Image Image Image Image Image

Jolly Holly Scraps

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Loving these options!

rachel0017

Cherry Picker

lilkoala3 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:10 pm
Ooohhh... Option 2 sounds fun for this journaling lover! Can you elaborate a bit more on the "persuasive" part of the essay option? Could you give me an example?

Also, for option 1, I'm assuming a page about a trip to the aquarium wouldn't work, since it's not focusing on one, specific animal?

I think a trip to the aquarium would be fine, as long as the animals are the focus of the page.

As for the persuasive journaling, I have a bunch of pictures of my cats sitting in/on anything and everything that is NOT a cat bed. So, I might do a page about that and my journaling would be persuading them to try the cat beds and stop laying in the puzzle boxes. I also have lots of photos of my youngest child napping in the oddest locations/positions because she would actively avoid nap time and eventually just pass out where she was. So, I could do page with those photos and persuasive journaling trying to convince her how much easier nap time would have been if she'd have just laid down in her bed and gone to sleep instead of exhausting herself and falling asleep wherever.

I hope that helps!

lilkoala3

Bowl Full of Cherries

rachel0017 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:22 pm
lilkoala3 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:10 pm

I think a trip to the aquarium would be fine, as long as the animals are the focus of the page.

As for the persuasive journaling, I have a bunch of pictures of my cats sitting in/on anything and everything that is NOT a cat bed. So, I might do a page about that and my journaling would be persuading them to try the cat beds and stop laying in the puzzle boxes. I also have lots of photos of my youngest child napping in the oddest locations/positions because she would actively avoid nap time and eventually just pass out where she was. So, I could do page with those photos and persuasive journaling trying to convince her how much easier nap time would have been if she'd have just laid down in her bed and gone to sleep instead of exhausting herself and falling asleep wherever.

I hope that helps!  
Oh wow, yeah, this is going to be funnnnnnn! Thank you so much for clarifying!

Leslie

SandyJay

Cherry Garcia

I took option #1, animals of the oceans. 

stinkerbelle

Cherry Bomb

option 1; combined with grab 5 challenge

*Stacy*  

Image  Image Image  ImageImage

MaganL

Cherry Picker

Option 1 combined with Title challenge

karen c.

Cherry Bing

Rachel I chose Option#2 and used a poem. I combined with the Alphabet Movie Challenge.
ImageImageImage          ImageImage

MaganL

Cherry Picker

My second one still about the aquarium. Combined with the Grapgic Design challenge.

Trek

Cherry Berry

OPTION 2
My LO
Katerina

Donna_Coughlin

Sweet Cherry Pie

I chose option one for this one. On the Ecotour we learned all different kinds of facts about these crabs and how the fishermen are trying to save the diminishing population in the inlets.

Donna
ImageImageImage

MaganL

Cherry Picker

my 3rd submission
combined with Manufacturer with a twist

wendycrowe

Cherry Bing

I chose Option #1 - Ocean animals

Donna_Coughlin

Sweet Cherry Pie

this is one I did for Option 2

y son has a blended family so I added the little booklet on the layout to tell him how proud of all the obstacles in life he overcame and has became a great man! As you open each page (4 in all) I journaled my feelings. I had to blur out the 2nd page because it is very personal to  me.
Donna
ImageImageImage

blbabe1234

Cherry Bark

Chose Option 2. Jackson wrote a little note to Santa

Brandy 🐾 🐾 ❤️

ImageImage   Image Image

joannie

Bowl Full of Cherries

Quick question Rachel. I have photos from Epcot's The Seas. The photos show statues of Nemo and Friends. Would this count for Option #1? OR are you wanting REAL ocean animals?
Here is one photo
- joannie

Image Image ImageImageImage

rachel0017

Cherry Picker

joannie wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2024 7:48 pm
Quick question Rachel. I have photos from Epcot's The Seas. The photos show statues of Nemo and Friends. Would this count for Option #1? OR are you wanting REAL ocean animals?
Here is one photo

Hi Joannie,

For this one, I'd prefer to have photos of real ocean animals. Thanks for checking!

Rachel : )

Return to “Contests & Challenges”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee