March Spend Smart/Stash Bust

Moderator: ACOT Employee

Jolly Holly Scraps
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 519

March Spend Smart/Stash Bust

Post by Jolly Holly Scraps »

Our THIRD month of the New Year ALREADY?!! 😊 Welcome to this months Spent Smart/Stash Bust Challenge! We're ALL winners of this challenge!
Here's a link to last months viewtopic.php?p=5241488#p5241488 !

I apologize for not posting this yesterday - diving right in: How is everyone doing with their goals? Are we excessively spending, not buying, or somewhere in between? Who's busting some of that stash? Any new goals or developments?
Let's chat!
Jolly Holly Scraps
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Re: March Spend Smart/Stash Bust

WELL here's where I'm MORE honest with y'all than I am with my psychiatrist! 😂 😂 😂

Ok, so for February, I was PRETTY happy with my STASH BUSTING!
I think I counted 10 layouts, Plus lots of art journaling!
I'm dragging myself deeper and deeper into my stash- papers from back in the day are meeting recent papers, stickers that are so old they won't stick anymore get a bit of adhesive, and let's NOT forget our tools! I've been creating my own ephemera and embellishments with stamps and dies, markers and inks- and little bits of randomness that I have PLENTY of! 😊 Yes, I STILL have TONS to play with, but I'm using my supplies and that feels amazing!
I've ALSO started organizing my albums! It's gonna be a longer project than I would like for it to be, but it's ALSO creating a LOT of joy for me!

SPENDING SMARTER:
Admittedly, THIS is where I NEED help ALWAYS! 😂 Since this challenge began, I've been doing better, with my goal being to keep improving! I'm NOT counting the cost of printing photos because I MUST have them, right? Adhesive is ALSO a necessity, so it doesn't count for me either!
I won't lie though- I have had a VERY smaller budget to work with this year, and I JUST went a LITTLE wild with some tax refund dollars! STILL, I spent WAY less than before, and LIMITED MYSELF! I went ahead and treated myself to some good sales! I've gotten a few packs of embellishments, ONE pack of paper, AND MORE stamps and dies!

DID I NEED MORE? NO! Did I make it qualify as Smarter Spending? You betcha! 😊
Because: (1) I'm using my tools MORE AND MORE than ever before! (2) I have been busting stash! I'm INTENTIONALLY taking time to pull out things that are rarely or never used, and I'm ACTUALLY using them! (3)I believe that tools ARE an investment; stamps, dies, stencils, anything mixed media - multi-use items can save money in the long run, and give out projects more of that uniqueness!
(4) I rarely have any extra money these days but felt like I deserved some new things AT good prices!

***Okay BUT I DID NEED new plates for my Big Shot, and I'm FINALLY getting a handheld sewing machine!***
MARCH GOALS:

STASH BUSTING:
I plan on doing at LEAST 8 layouts! I've got road trip pictures, holiday photos and a bit of everything else photos to scrap!
I plan on continuing to organize my albums - it's almost as fun as creating the layouts- AND keeps me from shopping! 😂

SPENDING SMARTER:
I ALREADY know that I plan to shop during NSD- that's my birthday month! I'm saving a special little amount for that!
I AM gonna have to buy a new embossing gun! Mine went MIA and I'm REALLY wanting to do some embossing!
I *MAY* allow a small purchase from ACOT- hoping for another good sale lol! There's JUST a few things that I REALLY REALLY have been drooling over! I think if I can keep it within reason, I'll be doing just fine! (I have been saving my cherry points!)

Looking forward to hearing from y'all!
DN in MN
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 446

Post by DN in MN »

I am not spending; however, I am also not creating either.  I have to get a handle on my brain to organize the thoughts and put things in action!

2024 Layout goal ~ 14/100      2024 Word ~ FOCUS

suewho372
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 949

Post by suewho372 »

Hi 👋!!!

***UPDATING***
I haven’t bought any scrappy stuff in March!! I have also been reorganizing!!!
Did get ALL my papers organized by theme !! All my iris drawers are filled and organized! This week I’m working on organizing my loose cardstock and the 12 x 12 paper pads . Went through the 6 x) and 6 x 8 already!
Soooo. No scrapping - last weekend I just finally got my table and floor cleared of sorted paper piles lol!

Well I did pretty good stash busting! I made 10 layouts and 1 card!!! Ohmygoodness! I haven’t done that in ages !!!
I did purchase 2 small things …. And I did not need them lol!
I started a huge REORGANIZATION- when I moved in and finally unpacked the scrappy stuff I threw it anywhere and everywhere just to get it out of boxes. So that makes it super hard to find things… I haven’t spent anytime organizing since then. I currently have most of my iris’ empty in themes!!! Eeeek! This is a process and I am going to do some paper purging too!
So I guess pretty good here!
Last edited by suewho372 on Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Susan

Dianne0601 (Dianne Labadie)
Cherry Tart
Gallery: 29

Post by Dianne0601 (Dianne Labadie) »

I did very well in January and February. I spent nothing and made about 40 layouts or so. I love the new April and Ivy from American Crafts and would like to buy a few more papers. I bought some in December and I love the papers. I am debating buying a few more sheets. I don't like to spend on shipping. I wonder, is it worth the shipping for 4 pieces of paper? I had to spend money on adhesive and foam tape this month. I'm so conflicted.  :greenlol:
Aztam
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 700

Post by Aztam »

I’m working on a freeze this year with some exceptions such as blades for my cutting devices (already purchased for silhouette and fiskars trimmer)
white cardstock (might hit up the CTMH sale, also might do an ice break for more solid cardstock colors)
A2 envelopes (purchased from Amazon last week)

Instead of buying things I’ve added them to my wishlist here on ACOT. I will revise the list when I lift my freeze on National Scrapbook day. I hope there are good sales that day!! 

So far so good with my freeze! And 20 layouts done from stash and kits, plus a couple cards.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Tam
Jolly Holly Scraps
Chocolate Covered Cherry

DN in MN wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:44 pm
I am not spending; however, I am also not creating either.  I have to get a handle on my brain to organize the thoughts and put things in action!

I can certainly understand that! Getting organized (and re-organized) helps me when I'm in a creative slump. At one point I also had a lot of personal things going on and wasn't creating for quite a while. I wasn't buying anything either at that point. I hope you are able to get back into the joy of the crafting!
Jolly Holly Scraps
Chocolate Covered Cherry

suewho372 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:46 pm
Hi 👋!!!

Well I did pretty good stash busting! I made 10 layouts and 1 card!!! Ohmygoodness! I haven’t done that in ages !!!
I started a huge REORGANIZATION- when I moved in and finally unpacked the scrappy stuff I threw it anywhere and everywhere just to get it out of boxes. So that makes it super hard to find things… I haven’t spent anytime organizing since then. I currently have most of my iris’ empty in themes!!! Eeeek! This is a process and I am going to do some paper purging too!

Susan,
Hello! 🤗Thank for being here and doing this with us!!
Sounds like you're doing great using stash and organizing before you make many purchases! 😊All those empty bins, too!! ✋ One of my goals is to see my stash get a bit smaller, too. I'm planning on a year long spend freeze after May, and people like you have kept me inspired to use what I have & NOT overbuy all the new stuff! 😊😊😊
GinniG
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 472

Post by GinniG »

I’ve been totally. Busting stash! I can even tell because my paper rack is getting less crowded! But I kinda blew my spending freeze. There were a few things (49 and Market’s Moonlit Garden) that I just HAD to have! And I HAD to have the solids from their Wanderer collection. But I kept both to a minimum. Only the solids and acetates for Wanderer and only 2 rubon sheets for the garden. But then I got the Cherry Box too. Lol!

So this month I had made the decision not to buy anything. But then I saw the new scrapbooking collection and oh how I want that! And I have quite a few pictures and layout ideas for that line. But I’ve been good and haven’t ordered it. Welllllll…. I won two of the February challenges, did some cherry hunting and got a discount coupon for doing a survey and now I’m seriously considering ordering it. But I also want to take advantage of the NSD sales….. Aaaaaacccckkkk!!! 🤣🤣🤣

I need to decide soon! Lol!
Jolly Holly Scraps
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Dianne0601 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:30 pm
I did very well in January and February. I spent nothing and made about 40 layouts or so. I love the new April and Ivy from American Crafts and would like to buy a few more papers. I bought some in December and I love the papers. I am debating buying a few more sheets. I don't like to spend on shipping. I wonder, is it worth the shipping for 4 pieces of paper? I had to spend money on adhesive and foam tape this month. I'm so conflicted.  :greenlol:

I get it Dianne! ☺️ It's frustrating that there's so MUCH great stuff! I have actually bought 4 papers before lol! (There was a free shipping sale and that's all I had money for.) I love getting extras of papers I love, but I limit myself to 4 now. EVEN if it's on sale - but I used to buy quite a few extra of the same paper!
Having said that, I wasn't scrappin' much at that particular time! 😂 I'm scraping MORE now instead of buying 😂 NOT scrappin' as MUCH as you, though! 😍 I think it's AWESOME that You've been able to create so many layouts!!!🤩 Do you make.page kits ahead of time? I forgot.
Jolly Holly Scraps
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Aztam wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:10 pm
I’m working on a freeze this year with some exceptions such as blades for my cutting devices (already purchased for silhouette and fiskars trimmer)
white cardstock (might hit up the CTMH sale, also might do an ice break for more solid cardstock colors)

Instead of buying things I’ve added them to my wishlist here on ACOT. I will revise the list when I lift my freeze on National Scrapbook day. I hope there are good sales that day!! 

So far so good with my freeze! And 20 layouts done from stash and kits, plus a couple cards.

RIGHT ON! 🤩☺️🤩
I love to hear that you've been able to stick with your freeze!!! It's important for us to see and know that it can be done! ☺️
I ALSO Love that you've completed so many projects using your stash and kits!! 👏 I'm REALLY trying to do THIS! (My year long spend freeze starts after NSD and I'm glad to see you're looking forward to NSD, too! I know I am!)
Please keep us updated on everything. ☺️
Aztam
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 700

Post by Aztam »

JollyHollyScraps wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:10 pm
Aztam wrote:

RIGHT ON! 🤩☺️🤩
I love to hear that you've been able to stick with your freeze!!! It's important for us to see and know that it can be done! ☺️
I ALSO Love that you've completed so many projects using your stash and kits!! 👏 I'm REALLY trying to do THIS! (My year long spend freeze starts after NSD and I'm glad to see you're looking forward to NSD, too! I know I am!)
Thanks, for the encouragement. I really needed to get a handle on the spending but more than that the stash! I literally do not have space for storage at this point. Some things are just living on the floor! I have a major re-org planned after vacay, so hopefully, I can take a hard look at what I really want to keep!

ImageImageImageImageImage

Tam
Jolly Holly Scraps
Chocolate Covered Cherry

GinniG wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:56 pm
I’ve been totally. Busting stash! I can even tell because my paper rack is getting less crowded! But I kinda blew my spending freeze. There were a few things (49 and Market’s Moonlit Garden) that I just HAD to have! And I HAD to have the solids from their Wanderer collection. But I kept both to a minimum. Only the solids and acetates for Wanderer and only 2 rubon sheets for the garden. But then I got the Cherry Box too. Lol!

So this month I had made the decision not to buy anything. But then I saw the new scrapbooking collection and oh how I want that! And I have quite a few pictures and layout ideas for that line. But I’ve been good and haven’t ordered it. Welllllll…. I won two of the February challenges, did some cherry hunting and got a discount coupon for doing a survey and now I’m seriously considering ordering it. But I also want to take advantage of the NSD sales….. Aaaaaacccckkkk!!! 🤣🤣🤣

I need to decide soon! Lol!

Ginni! ☺️
I love how candid you are! It sounds like you ONLY splurged on things you ABSOLUTELY LOVE AND busting some of that stash, too! 👏👏👏👏😊
I'm in the midst of debating an order myself. I'll also look at certain papers and collections and see what stories I want to tell with them! Lol it makes it harder to say no! 😂
Please keep coming back and sharing your progress with us! ☺️
Jolly Holly Scraps
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Aztam wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:15 pm
JollyHollyScraps wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:10 pm
Aztam wrote:

RIGHT ON! 🤩☺️🤩
Thanks, for the encouragement. I really needed to get a handle on the spending but more than that the stash! I literally do not have space for storage at this point. Some things are just living on the floor! I have a major re-org planned after vacay, so hopefully, I can take a hard look at what I really want to keep!

Oh, Tam lol I TOTALLY know what you mean!! I'm STILL trying to figure out how to re-organize some things myself. I have had a serious problem with over buying AND could ALWAYS use more organization! 🤪🤷‍♀️😊
Please stick around; I need a lot of support, too! 😊 I've joined a few other groups with this low spend or no buy or stash busting them, and it's helping me, too!.
suewho372
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 949

Post by suewho372 »

JollyHollyScraps wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:49 pm
suewho372 wrote:
Hi 👋!!!

Susan,
Sounds like you're doing great using stash and organizing before you make many purchases! 😊All those empty bins, too!! ✋ One of my goals is to see my stash get a bit smaller, too. I'm planning on a year long spend freeze after May, and people like you have kept me inspired to use what I have & NOT overbuy all the new stuff! 😊😊😊
Oh I want the new stuff too! my cart is full of new stuff…
Oh and the bins being empty it’s just until I get all the things sorted and then they will go back in by theme!
Susan

Jolly Holly Scraps
Chocolate Covered Cherry

suewho372 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:58 pm
JollyHollyScraps wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:49 pm
suewho372 wrote:
Hi 👋!!!

Susan,
Oh I want the new stuff too! my cart is full of new stuff…
Oh and the bins being empty it’s just until I get all the things sorted and then they will go back in by theme!

Lol! Sometimes my containers are empty when I'm reorganizing too lol but it temporary! 😂😂😂
I HAD stuff in my cart and my bin may NEVER be empty if I don't stop shipping? 😂🤣🤣
Amy Jo
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 773

Post by Amy Jo »

I made 13 layouts and 3 cards in February. I also used up a very old package of baby embellishments!

I had $25 plus 4 “points” from January and I’m adding 14.5 “points” plus $5 from February.

Total to spend = $40 and rolling 8.5 points over to this month.

My rules for earning spending money:

1. No Spending in February, June, or October ✔️
2. I'll earn $10 to spend for every 10 layouts. (Cards count as 1/2 of a layout and Double Page layouts count as 2.)
3. I'll earn $5 for every sticker sheet or embellishment package I use up.✔️
4. I'll earn $10 for every kit I kill. My goal is to kill 4 this year. (I have set and failed to reach this goal in the past but I am really close to killing a couple of kits so I feel good about achieving this goal in 2024!)
ImageImageImage

Jolly Holly Scraps
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Amy Jo wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:11 pm
I made 13 layouts and 3 cards in February. I also used up a very old package of baby embellishments!

I had $25 plus 4 “points” from January and I’m adding 14.5 “points” plus $5 from February.

Total to spend = $40 and rolling 8.5 points over to this month.

My rules for earning spending money:

1. No Spending in February, June, or October ✔️
2. I'll earn $10 to spend for every 10 layouts. (Cards count as 1/2 of a layout and Double Page layouts count as 2.)
3. I'll earn $5 for every sticker sheet or embellishment package I use up.✔️
4. I'll earn $10 for every kit I kill. My goal is to kill 4 this year. (I have set and failed to reach this goal in the past but I am really close to killing a couple of kits so I feel good about achieving this goal in 2024!)

Fantastic AmyJo! 😊 13 layouts and 3 cards is awesome!!! Very inspiring to have you hear with us!
I love how you've created a unique system to keep yourself on track! Way to go using up some of that older stash! 😊
I love what you said about killing kits, too! I'm still trying to make smaller kit so I can kill them! 😂 It's great to have those goals, and I look forward to hearing more about your progress!
shoorn
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 2866

Post by shoorn »

Last Month's goals :
   Feb 2424 - this month's stash bust - do 15 LOs (already have done 2)
                                   spend smart - $120 (counting shipping) have spent $37 so far but 15 of it storage so not counting that. It goes towards my organizing budget. 

How I did: I did 16 LOs and some cards. I stayed under the budget I set. 

March goals: Stash Bust - I want to do some more purging and organizing of my stash - spent the first couple of days of March organizing and doing some purging. I     would  like to get 20 LOs done - though not sure that is possible. 
                    Spend Smart - Trying to figure out what I want to spend this month. I am waiting for some good sales for items that I need and some that I just want. I          think that I will set my budget at $150 (including shipping). Excluding adhesives and storage. I set it high as I am not sure if I will spend it this month or next month -      thinking ahead to NSD
Hi everyone!    Image   My name is Susan and I love to scrapbook!

Image ImageImage   Image
Jolly Holly Scraps
Chocolate Covered Cherry

shoorn wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:18 pm
Last Month's goals :
   Feb 2424 - this month's stash bust - do 15 LOs (already have done 2)
                                   spend smart - $120 (counting shipping) have spent $37 so far but 15 of it storage so not counting that. It goes towards my organizing budget. 

How I did: I did 16 LOs and some cards. I stayed under the budget I set. 

March goals: Stash Bust - I want to do some more purging and organizing of my stash - spent the first couple of days of March organizing and doing some purging. I     would  like to get 20 LOs done - though not sure that is possible. 
                    Spend Smart - Trying to figure out what I want to spend this month. I am waiting for some good sales for items that I need and some that I just want. I          think that I will set my budget at $150 (including shipping). Excluding adhesives and storage. I set it high as I am not sure if I will spend it this month or next month -      thinking ahead to NSD

Susan, I LOVE it! 😻 Stash busting, organizing, thinking ahead! Way to go!! 😊 ALL good stuff!! ☺️
I'm trying to do more of the same!
I like how you included shipping into your budget, too! I sometimes forget and that! 😂
Thanks for the support here!

Return to “Contests & Challenges”