Get FREE shipping with your $35 order with code FREESHIP35

rachel0017

Cherry Picker

August 2020 Book Lover's Challenge - UPDATED WITH WINNER
THE WINNER OF THIS MONTH'S $5 GIFT CARD, AS CHOSEN BY RANDOM.ORG, IS #43 - JOANNIE!
THE WINNER OF THIS MONTH'S RAK, AS CHOSEN BY RANDOM.ORG, IS #3 - AHEATFAN!
THANK YOU SO MUCH TO EVERYONE WHO PARTICIPATED THIS MONTH!

I read this month’s book off of a suggestion from one of my friends on Goodreads, and I could. not. put. it. down.
When We Believed in Mermaids by Barbara O’Neal is the story of two sisters, Kit and Josie, bound together by the secrets and lies that defined their childhood growing up on the California coast - a childhood marked by neglect, heartbreak, and unspeakable loss. When Kit turns on the TV one night, and sees Josie on a news story about a night club fire in Auckland, New Zealand, she is taken aback for many reasons, but mostly because Josie died in a train accident fifteen years prior. It could be a trick of the eye, but Kit knows, in the way sisters just KNOW, that it’s Josie, and the unmistakable scar on her forehead gives her away. Thus begins a global search for answers. Kit has to know if Josie is still alive and, if so, why did she allow her family to believe she had died fifteen years ago? What is she hiding, and who has she become? Told in alternating chapters, Kit and Josie’s story comes to life, including flashbacks and remembrances revealing just how tumultuous their upbringing was, woven together with details of the lives they live now. Lives they must be willing to tear apart in order to reconcile the past.

OPTION 1: Water, Water Everywhere
The ocean plays a HUGE role in Kit and Josie’s lives, both as children and as adults. So, for Option 1, make a layout that features a naturally occurring body of water in at least one of the photos. We’re talking ocean, sea, lake, river; this would not be the time for swimming pool or bathtub pictures.

OPTION 2: What Do You Believe In?
Often, I will choose a book solely based on the title, if it is interesting and grabs me. Two of my favorite books of all time (The Five People You Meet in Heaven and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime) were chosen this way, and When We Believed in Mermaids is no exception. I love the nostalgia the title implies, though it has a bit of melancholy in it as well. So, for Option 2, we’re going to flip it on its head and make it a bit more positive. Instead of talking about what you used to believe in, make a page about what you currently believe in. You MUST include the word “believe” in your title, but “believe” CANNOT be the ONLY word in the title. Feel free to make it funny (ie: “I Believe in Donuts!”) or serious (ie: “Those Who Believe”), just be sure you’ve got more than just the word “believe”.

This month, you'll get a BONUS ENTRY if you include a mermaid on your layout. It can be in the paper, embellishments, or even one of the photos.

Sample for Option 1, with Bonus

Sample for Option 2

The Fine Print:
1. HAVE FUN MAKING YOUR PROJECT!
2. Entries open to new projects - paper, digital, & card making.
3. May be combined with one other challenge that allows it.
4. Due August 31st, at 11:59 PM.
5. One lucky winner, chosen at random, will receive a $5 ACOT gift card from us!
6. Up to 3 entries permitted per month.
7. A RAK is awarded to a second winner if there are more than 15 unique entries (not including bonuses) during the month.

Participants:
1. lissahope26
2. Mathandlit
3. aheatfan
4. Deanna13
5. all4ty
6. all4ty (BONUS)
7. emmapaige
8. emmapaig (BONUS)
9. karen c.
10. karen c. (BONUS)
11. charleneanne
12. charleneanne (BONUS)
13. MrsFleck
14. MrsFleck (BONUS)
15. Aztam
16. Aztam (BONUS)
17. karen c.
18. karen c. (BONUS)
19. ScrappyDistractions
20. Donna_Coughlin

21. StacyLee
22. Retiree3
23. oceanbreezes423
24. Berta R.
25. aheatfan
26. aheatfan (BONUS)
27. Deanna13
28. Donna_Coughlin
29. blfonty
30. Rozebud
31. MerryScraps67
32. MerryScraps67 (BONUS)
33. joannie 
34. Deanna13
35. Deanna13 (BONUS)
36. Barb Van
37. 1scrappymom
38. StacyLee
39. Tammey
40. Tammey (BONUS)
41. sherriscraps
42. sherriscraps
43. joannie
44. CathyG89
45. Yankeegirl
46. Aztam
47. lissahope26
48. sherriscraps

aheatfan

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Re: August 2020 Book Lover's Challenge
Oooh, I love this. I would not say I collect things but if I had to pick one thing it would be mermaids :) Great Challenge, looking forward to it. 
🌴Kristin  
"Be the Change You Wish to See in the World"
ImageImageImageImageImage

Deanna13

A Cherry on Top

You know I am all over this with the 'ocean'!! I also love the 2nd option and I do have some mermaids. LOVE that sweet example, Rachel! 💖
Image Image ImageImage

suewho372

Cherry Jubilee

Both options sound really fun! I think my daughter would like that book so I screenshot it to her 😊.
Your layout is so cute!!! I love it!!!
Susan

karen c.

Cherry Bing

The ocean and mermaids are right up my alley!! I also have an idea for option #2 as well. I am also going to put that book on my list to read.  Thank you!
ImageImageImage          ImageImage

Sara Scraps

Cherry Bing

I just finished this book! ...I should try the challenge....hmmmmm

Sara Scraps

Cherry Bing

Can I make an ocean -inspired card??

rachel0017

Cherry Picker

Deanna13 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:31 am
You know I am all over this with the 'ocean'!! I also love the 2nd option and I do have some mermaids. LOVE that sweet example, Rachel! 💖

Ha! Yes, I actually thought of you being able to get more travel photos scrapped with this one!  :-D

rachel0017

Cherry Picker

SMMishler wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:51 am

Yes! A card would be just fine. Did you enjoy the book? I truly couldn't put it down; I HAD to know what was going to happen!

Yankeegirl

Cherry Cola

Two great options!  My mind is churning.......
I am running away from my responsibilities,
and it feels good!

Kathy

Image  Image  Image Image  Image      

oceanbreezes423

Cherry Jubilee

This is perfect as I live at the he ocean. So the first choice will be the easiest. BUT, choice 2 has my wheels spinning as well! Great challenge! The book also sounds really good!
ImageSusan  Image   Image  Image

Sara Scraps

Cherry Bing

rachel0017 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:43 am
SMMishler wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:51 am

Yes! A card would be just fine. Did you enjoy the book? I truly couldn't put it down; I HAD to know what was going to happen! 

Yes, I did enjoy it! <3

blbabe1234

Cherry Bark

Super cute layout. LOVE the options!
Brandy 🐾 🐾 ❤️

ImageImage   Image Image

Aztam

Cherry Bing

Just last week I was looking at some lake pics! Now to find them again. And I #believe I can do option 2, also. My little grand was in the pool today so I will need to dig out some mermaid paper for the bonus.

These will be fun challenges.

Tam

lissahope26

Cherry Garcia

Option one
Melissa H.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Mathandlit

Cherry Picker

The word "believe" worked perfectly for this layout about my son losing his first tooth and getting a visit from the tooth fairy. 

emmapaige

Cherry Addict

I’m just starting this book. For any of you that have Kindle Unlimited, you can read it for free.

Love your options this month!
** Chris **

My blog: http://mommomandpoppop.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImage Image

aheatfan

Chocolate Covered Cherry

I chose Option # 2 for this one...use believe in the title. Made this for my son who recently started his journey to become a bodybuilding professional. No bonus - did not t think that mermaids fit here, lol. 
🌴Kristin  
"Be the Change You Wish to See in the World"

Deanna13

A Cherry on Top

Here's one! I used Option #1 the ocean. 😊

Photos of youngest sweet grandson Travis at Siesta Key Beach, July 2020. He is just the sweetest, most laid back little boy. 💖
Mr. Cool
Image Image ImageImage

PSCraft

Cherry Picker

option1 with the mermaid

Pam

Return to “Contests & Challenges”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee