Gallery: 356

September 2012 - 4x4 Challenge **WINNER**

Post by killarney_rose »

[highlight=#e1ebf2]The Winner is sherelm! Congrats![/highlight]
[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]
[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]
[/highlight]
[/highlight]
This is a very specific challenge. Please follow.
[/highlight]
[/highlight]

[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]So what's a 4x4 challenge? You get to use four papers and four embellishments. Ink, mist, paint and alphas are free items.[/highlight]

[highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]Now for the twist! This month and allows you to have some real choices and you get to choose one. In October you will only have choice #3. I'm easing you into the challenge for two months![/highlight]
[/highlight]

[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]1) Four papers: single sided or if double sided you can use only one side[/highlight][/highlight]
[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]2) Three papers: One paper double sided and two single sided papers or if double sided you can only use one side of the paper[/highlight][/highlight]

[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]and if you really want to test your skills then choose the #3![/highlight][/highlight]

[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]3) Two papers: both are double sided (In the layouts below I used this one)[/highlight][/highlight]

[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]Embellishments: You must only use 4 embellishments. No more and no less! [/highlight][/highlight]

[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]For those making cards!!! Your papers have to be 6x6 papers and the cardstock counts as a paper.

When you post your layout to this thread you must list the choice of above on papers (1,2 or 3), list your embellishments and what papers and the manufacturer(s) or kit if digi.
[/highlight]
[/highlight]

But if your stumped please read the August 4x4 Challenge here. Make sure you scroll down to read Ayla's question and then my response. My layout is linked to my gallery so you can see what I used and again I chose #3. Also take a peek at Art Teacher's great tip even further down with an example!!! I will also be playing along again this month for next month's example. Now to make it once again to an LSS either in Waco or Houston Area to choose my papers. I've got to see color matches.
Like I said I played along last month and here is my example for this month! See if you can count my embellishments and tell me what they are!

Back ground should have come out white....ahhhh cameras!

Let's talk about what I did with this layout! Here's the papers I chose to use:

Image and Image

The left hand paper from 7 Gypsies is titled 'Always Paper' from the Trousseau Line

The right hand paper is MME 'Honey Flourish' from the Follow Your Heart - Be Happy Line! Exquisite paper and you can see the back of it on the page here and I used it in the overlapped banners at the bottom where the pink pearl flourish is.

So here's what I did. Of course I just proceeded to cut up the left hand sheet to use on the right, both front and back. I used the pink backside to use as matting for my photo along with the front, too! I fussy cut the photo out to use on the MME paper which I turned upside down. Underneath the photo is a hole to pull a small amount of back side and used.

I didn't title this because I have no idea where or what was going on in the photo. Remember alphas are free.

Since my Tattered Angels class I am reaching for my mist on a regular basis now. Love it! And of course I used it here. In real life the hexagons on the MME paper are not the same color as on the 7 Gypsies so I reached for my Vintage Pink Glimmer Mist and hand painted with just the liquid (glimmer still settled on bottom) and adjusted the color perfectly to the other paper. But I couldn't just stop there with the Vintage Pink. I laid my elements on the paper, covered in paper towels and laid down a negative diecut of a fleur-de-lea in the right place, pulled my papers with photo out, and sprayed the background. When I say negative die-cut, it's the frame you have left over from a die-cut used as a mask, stencil or template. Great way to use those negatives before tossing them. Dry with heat tool or let dry. If the paper appears warped just iron with cool heat. If you can't find the fleur-de-lea it is under the flowers to left of my grandmother's photo. I only wanted to use half and the other half is covered of the fleur-de-lea. Remember Mist is a free item.

Ok, on to the embellishments. Brandy and Karen you are partially right. I once again chose my embellishments and made more of them. They are:

flower - Prima
tag - Basic Grey Curio Canvas Tags
Pearl Flourish - Prima leftover from another project
Prima Spray above the flower

I took the pearl flourish and cut it to use it in two different areas, in the cluster and the banners.

As for the Spray it's two years old and no longer in the store as I looked. I had no earthly idea how to use this thing until I watched a Prima Ustream video. I was all over that spray afterwards with the very first layout I did after watching the video the day before I took my Tattered Angels class. I totally deconstructed that spray. Then bunched it, remolded it and it is the cluster you see above the Prima Flower. And I still have left overs!!! So you'll see it again or I'll give it away at a crop I'm going to on the 14th for the weekend. But now I so can not wait to buy more sprays!!!! Those sprays go a long way when you tear them apart! This is what a spray looks like.

Just look at all the flowers and leaves you get. It all can be taken apart and reconstructed how you want. One spray in that package is one embellishment. I did not write you couldn't tear it apart! Remember use your imagination!

I am truly a see and do scrapper. My analytical mind doesn't have a creative bone enclosing it. Just go back to my last page in my gallery and you can see I am still a work in progress when it comes to my scrapping. And I still get it totally wrong on some of my layouts in my eyes. It's why I don't sketch but use others sketches!!!...LOL!

Remember next month you will only have option #3! This was my third time with this example and the layout started to build the moment I had the papers in my hand. Remember if you have two double sided papers it doesn't mean you have to use all four sides.....I didn't write that. You have to use four embellishments....no more and no less.

Have fun this month!!!!

[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]Paper, digi, and hybrid always accepted! Cards, too![/highlight][/highlight]

[highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]Layouts must be posted here in this thread as there is no gallery for them, by midnight September 30th ACOT time![/highlight][/highlight]

Winner chosen by random number generator for a $5 ACOT GC.[/highlight][/highlight]
[/highlight]
[/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight]
[/highlight]
[highlight=#e1ebf2][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN][highlight=#NaNNaNNaN]
May be combined with one other challenge if allowed by the other challenge.

Wonderful Cherries Participating in the 4x4 Challenge![/highlight][/highlight]
[/highlight]
[/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight][/highlight]
[/highlight]

The wonderful Cherries participating:

1) blbabe1234
2) sadie_mae
3) sandi0805
4) retiree3
5) letumom
6) robin701
7) sherelm
8) aceason

WOW!!! 8 participants!!!! Y'll did a wonderful job with the challenge!!!
Last edited by killarney_rose on Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 7 times in total.
blbabe1234
Cherry Bark
Gallery: 3709

Re: September 2012 - 4x4 Challenge

Post by blbabe1234 »

I love your example Kim!

Your embellies are:

The Bling
The tag with the string (or floss)
The button, with the flower, with the strands of beads

And...????
Brandy 🐾 🐾 ❤️

ImageImage   ImageImageImage
Karenscraps
Cherry Berry
Gallery: 115

Re: September 2012 - 4x4 Challenge

Post by Karenscraps »

Looks like there is also some wire on there
Karen Y.

I haven't been an active paper crafter for a while and want to get back in the swing of things!
blbabe1234
Cherry Bark
Gallery: 3709

Re: September 2012 - 4x4 Challenge **UPDATED**

Post by blbabe1234 »

Here is mine.

I chose the Pyrus Collection from Basic Grey to work with Option (b). All three papers are double sided, however, I only used one side from two of them. The background is Beurr D'anjou. The Photos are matted on Cordata. The striped paper is Bradford. I chose that one to be my sheet that I work with both sides. It had the flourish type things behind it, and they were large enough to where I could cut them out and place them on my layout. My four embellishments are the "hi" epoxy sticker; "too cute for words" epoxy sticker, the little bird epoxy sticker and the journaling tag.
Brandy 🐾 🐾 ❤️

ImageImage   ImageImageImage
sadie_mae
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 156

Post by sadie_mae »

ImageHere is mine!!! I chose option 2, Thank you for the challenge! and as always thanks for looking!!!!
Sandi0805
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 2310

Post by Sandi0805 »

Here's my layout for the challenge. I hope I did this right. If not, let me know and I will do another one. I chose #1 and my four papers are bazzill (red cardstock) and Authentique (fresh collection - 3 sheets).

Image ImageImage
sherelm
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 743

Post by sherelm »

I've been holding out on this challenge - I'm scared of it!!! HONESTLY!!
Retiree3
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 5459

Post by Retiree3 »

I used 2 double sided papers from Echo Park- So Happy Together and Hello Summer. My embellishments are 2 journal spots and 2 flowers at the bottom ofthe page.

[
Donna-Retiree3-Proud Grandmother of Three Boys!

[highlight=#000000][/highlight]

letumom
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 846

Post by letumom »

Here's mine. Created with only 3 sheets of paper - 1 cardstock and 2 pp. Details and closeups in the gallery.

Laurie

killarney_rose
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by killarney_rose »

letumom wrote:Here's mine. Created with only 3 sheets of paper - 1 cardstock and 2 pp. Details and closeups in the gallery.

Pure Awesomeness!!!! I had to figure out the embellishments! Great Job Laurie!!!
Robin701
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 59

Post by Robin701 »

I used two double-sided patterned papers from S.E.I.'s "Jocelyn" line. My four embellishments are the flowery branch in the upper left corner, a Soft-Spoken "Family Reunion" sticker, the striped Offray ribbon spanning the pages, and the title. The pictures are all from a family hike we took to Linville Falls in North Carolina this past July.

killarney_rose
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by killarney_rose »

Robin701 wrote:I used two double-sided patterned papers from S.E.I.'s "Jocelyn" line. My four embellishments are the flowery branch in the upper left corner, a Soft-Spoken "Family Reunion" sticker, the striped Offray ribbon spanning the pages, and the title. The pictures are all from a family hike we took to Linville Falls in North Carolina this past July.

Exquisite layout! I love your placement of photos and your design! A two page layout is such a treat for this challenge.

On a personal note, I love love Linville Falls. The last time I was there was with my grandmother in the early eighties when she would rent a chalet up on Beech Mtn. each summer while I would intern my summers in college at the Horticulture Research Station in Castle Hayne. My grandmother in her early eighties would tire me out, catch the eyes of the men in her age group, and loved the fact I was dating her best friend's son. Thank you for my memories!
sherelm
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 743

Post by sherelm »

Here's mine, and I copy/pasted what I wrote in the gallery -

I did this using two sides of Jolee's French General (the navy denim and the flowers) and one side of the same pad - the gray flower background. And then one side of Authentique (the chevron). The embellishments are the tiny bird tag, the blue flower on top, and the two paper clips - one holding the word "Journey". Hope I did this right. It was a struggle. Not in the way I thought - I tried to hold back on what paper I was using when I designed it - then had not enough paper used!! UGH!! I had fun, though, something really different!

killarney_rose
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by killarney_rose »

cherrycupcake wrote:Here's mine, and I copy/pasted what I wrote in the gallery -

I did this using two sides of Jolee's French General (the navy denim and the flowers) and one side of the same pad - the gray flower background. And then one side of Authentique (the chevron). The embellishments are the tiny bird tag, the blue flower on top, and the two paper clips - one holding the word "Journey". Hope I did this right. It was a struggle. Not in the way I thought - I tried to hold back on what paper I was using when I designed it - then had not enough paper used!! UGH!! I had fun, though, something really different!

I knew you could do it! The first one is the toughest one. The next not so much and by the third you'll be rocking ar it! Tomorrow you'll get to see Art_Teacher's sugesstion of using a joint to use the backside of paper. I love the photos and the blues are perfect!
aceason
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 723

Post by aceason »

Here's mine...
killarney_rose
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by killarney_rose »

aceason wrote:Here's mine...