July/August Eyewitness Challenge - UPDATED with Winner

Moderator: ACOT Employee

QueenBee89
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 1770

Re: July/August Eyewitness Challenge

Post by QueenBee89 »

Here’s mine. I used Becky Fleck sketch 286.

history in the making
~Brandi  :)

Follow me on Instagram! @scrappy.boymama 

Image Image
ScrappyRN74
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 786

Post by ScrappyRN74 »

Whatever you choose to do, leave tracks. That means don’t do it just for yourself. You will want to leave the world a little better for your having lived.” RBG

:) Trisha

ImageImageImageImage
lissahope26
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 1711

Post by lissahope26 »

Mommyof5 wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:14 am
I can't believe that they told you they weren't going to keep your scrapbooks!!!!  That's heartbreaking!  Maybe that will change as they age. 

That is a good point, however, about the eyewitness point of view.  
I was not scrapbooking much back when 9/11 happened, but that was something that my kids have asked me about on numerous occasions.  I can tell you where I was-what I was doing-the phone call I got to turn my TV on, and the feeling that washed over me when I saw the 2nd airplane hit on live television.  My husband at the time was working at the Houston airport (where I work now) and they locked it down completely.  

Anyway...this is a great challenge.  
I got proposed to on Christmas morning of 2020---sick with Covid and all.  lol.  It was definitely a year.  
I really don't expect my kids to keep all my scrapbooks.  I would think they would have no room for them if they ever moved out!  I have several shelves full.  I heard Vicki Boutin say she didn't care what happened to her stuff after she's gone, it's about the creative process.  It's also about memory keeping but I do it for fun too. 

Melissa H.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

aheatfan
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 1842

Post by aheatfan »

lissahope26 wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:24 am
Mommyof5 wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:14 am
I can't believe that they told you they weren't going to keep your scrapbooks!!!!  That's heartbreaking!  Maybe that will change as they age. 

That is a good point, however, about the eyewitness point of view.  
I was not scrapbooking much back when 9/11 happened, but that was something that my kids have asked me about on numerous occasions.  I can tell you where I was-what I was doing-the phone call I got to turn my TV on, and the feeling that washed over me when I saw the 2nd airplane hit on live television.  My husband at the time was working at the Houston airport (where I work now) and they locked it down completely.  

Anyway...this is a great challenge.  
I got proposed to on Christmas morning of 2020---sick with Covid and all.  lol.  It was definitely a year.  
I really don't expect my kids to keep all my scrapbooks.  I would think they would have no room for them if they ever moved out!  I have several shelves full.  I heard Vicki Boutin say she didn't care what happened to her stuff after she's gone, it's about the creative process.  It's also about memory keeping but I do it for fun too. 

I too came to that thought process.  I really do hope they will as they are mostly about them but I do this mostly for me. During lockdown it truly saved my sanity and gave me a creative outlet.  If they don't keep them. I'll never know anyway. 

🌴Kristin  
"Be the Change You Wish to See in the World"
ImageImageImageImageImage

aheatfan
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by aheatfan »

sherelm wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:00 pm
So I decided to finally make time to do this. It's been in my mind for quite awhile, so I'm going to jump into it.

A few years ago my son and niece both announced at a new year's eve dinner that they had no plans to keep my scrapbooks when I died! I know, nice NYE conversation, but they were young. My SIL said "I'll take them" to which my niece/her daughter said "You'll be dead too!" While we all laughed, I seriously thought about the finally resting place of my scrapbooks (not me!). What really will happen to them?
Consequently a few more years passed and I read on line an article about the scrapbooks everyone was making. The author, to sum it up, said not too many are going to care about Mary's 7th birthday party, or your son's hunting trip, or even that family trip to Disney. What they will want to see is how birthdays were celebrated in the 2000's, that we hunted animals and oh! THAT'S how Disney looked liked back then. And then a thought was thrown out: what if one of your relatives told you in a scrapbook about arriving in America? What were the roaring 20s parties like? What did they do for family trips? She would be your "eyewitness". Even without photos (or with) you can explain some of the things you were a witness to! I personally lived through more than I can scrap!

So this challenge is going to me throwing out a challenge and how you lived through it. Rule 1 is if you weren't born yet - you can't call me old! But you are able to find a suitable replacement event. Rule 2, is more for me than for you : I don't want this to be all about negative stuff, which for some reason we tend to be clearer on that something that went right. So I'm going to have some "recall your personal day when this tragedy struck" but I also will hopefully ask you to recall positive events. Some will be worldwide, some only you and your family may be involved.

So for us to begin, I'm picking a really easy one we all can scrap about: the Covid pandemic. I'm letting you go anywhere with this, from when you personally realized this was going to hit big, to how you lived through it. Add funny moments, or stick to it more seriously if that was what effected you most. Did you lose someone from it? Did you think it would take down everyone at one point? What funny little thing happened (like you didn't have a mask so you couldn't do something) . I'm looking for the details, not a rundown of the chemistry of the disease and the never ending vaccines and booster. Unless that's what you want in your book! I'll accept everything!

Deadline will be August 31 at 11:59pm.
You may do any size page you wish - some of you may think this is a good stand alone album. No cards, tags, etc. Any medium from digital, hybrid, or traditional scrapbooking.
A $10 GC will be presented to a random winner.
Questions, please pm me. But if it's "is it OK to...." the answer is yes unless mentioned above.
Post your layout to this thread, please! I don't want to miss it! Have fun!
This is a great challenge. Your family may change their minds in time. I think the older we get the more nostalgic we get...they may get there too. I have already done an entire album about Covid so I'll have to see if I come up with something else. 

🌴Kristin  

Berta R.
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 627

Post by Berta R. »

DH was hospitalized 5 times since November 2019.  Because of the hospital's Covid regulations he could not have visitors.  He was in rehab in 2020 and again in 2021 for 7 weeks each time.  His last visit this year was only 2 weeks but he has been sent home on Hospice this time.  He doesn't have Covid but I can't help but feel like the loneliness of those hospital stays contributed to his failure to thrive.  We celebrated our 55th wedding anniversary in January.  Sadly, I fear he's not going to live to celebrate #56

ImageImage

On a lighter note, my son got a kick out of some of the masks out there.

***Berta***
sherelm
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 761

Post by sherelm »

scrappinmom99 wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:47 pm
We've had similar conversations in my house about the final resting place of the albums lol. I sometimes get anxiety about how many albums we have, or I'll need or where we will put them now, let alone in the future lol. I love your idea of the eyewitness to history angle! Having said that, I have started a pandemic album which I jokingly refer to as "historical documents" and plan to start a 9/11 one too. I have a priority size box full of 9/11 stuff to scrap so...I like your idea for September too! Can we do more than one entry?

Yup! More than one entry is fine!
sherelm
Cherry Jubilee

Post by sherelm »

QueenBee89 wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:17 pm
Here’s mine. I used Becky Fleck sketch 286.

history in the making

Great page and it sums it up in your journaling!
sherelm
Cherry Jubilee

Post by sherelm »

GmaBerta wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:11 pm
DH was hospitalized 5 times since November 2019.  Because of the hospital's Covid regulations he could not have visitors.  He was in rehab in 2020 and again in 2021 for 7 weeks each time.  His last visit this year was only 2 weeks but he has been sent home on Hospice this time.  He doesn't have Covid but I can't help but feel like the loneliness of those hospital stays contributed to his failure to thrive.  We celebrated our 55th wedding anniversary in January.  Sadly, I fear he's not going to live to celebrate #56

ImageImage

On a lighter note, my son got a kick out of some of the masks out there.

I love how there's always a funny side to everything. Sometimes you just have to look! Sorry about your hubby and happy you did have so many years together.
scrappinmom99
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 1393

Post by scrappinmom99 »

sherelm wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:01 pm
scrappinmom99 wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:47 pm
We've had similar conversations in my house about the final resting place of the albums lol. I sometimes get anxiety about how many albums we have, or I'll need or where we will put them now, let alone in the future lol. I love your idea of the eyewitness to history angle! Having said that, I have started a pandemic album which I jokingly refer to as "historical documents" and plan to start a 9/11 one too. I have a priority size box full of 9/11 stuff to scrap so...I like your idea for September too! Can we do more than one entry?

Yup! More than one entry is fine! 
Great! I have 3 layouts to upload LOL! One's a double pager too :) Thanks for the challenge to do this!

Happy Scrapping!
Anne-Marie
scrappinmom99
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 1393

Post by scrappinmom99 »

I have three entries all about the changes to our laundry habits. It was freaky and scary! The journaling is in my gallery. I really love the idea of this challenge - thanks for doing it!!

Happy Scrapping!
Anne-Marie
feather
Cherry Tart
Gallery: 20

Re: July/August Eyewitness Challenge - UPDATED with sample

Post by feather »

Sharon this is a very intriguing idea.  I'm going to have to think a bit more on this one, I love the idea. I'll see what I can come up with.
Amy Jo
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 789

Post by Amy Jo »

My layout is from Easter…a month into the shutdown and we had no idea Church online would become a permanent thing!

Covid Life - Gallery Link
ImageImageImage

aheatfan
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by aheatfan »

I thought I would not have anything Covid related to scrap about since I already have an entire album....and then I got Covid. I used to a time calculator to determine how many days since the day we were sent home on lockdown to the day I contracted it and oddly enough it was 888 days. 

🌴Kristin  

Return to “Contests & Challenges”