Can You Guess???

Moderator: ACOT Employee

Ayla
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 1078

Re: Can You Guess???

Post by Ayla »

cajenkins81 wrote:
Ayla wrote: Now I disagree. I don't think we scrap about ourselves enough. We tell everyone else's stories.... why shouldn't we tell our own? My mom died when I was a teenager. If she had scrapped about herself, I would know her better! I am trying to do this more for my kids...they might want that in the future!
This is a very good point! But the problem I run in to, is that no one in my family is as passionate about taking pictures of me or anything, as much as I love to take pics. SO I don't often have many pics with me in them, and if I ask them to take some, they rarely come out - I asked hubs to take a couple pics of me when we went camping for that very reason, but they were around the fire in the dark and you could just see a blob. So yeah. I do have SOME pics tho, but by and large I have more pics of others simply because I'm the photographer and others don't think to take pics of me. But I think it's a great thing to add the memories and the journaling that tells the story, for reasons you have pointed out. I scrap but don't often do the journaling, and I'm realizing that just a few years erases those stories from ourselves, much less having our kids know about them.
I've experienced that too. But I can take pictures of the things I like to do or something like that, and scrap THAT....so my kids know more of what I like and why I'm the way I am. I took a picture of my hand once and did a layout about how much they reminded me of my mother's. And my kids LOVE that layout! It's this one....
 Image Image
You don't quit playing because you grow old....you grow old because you quit playing.

JillinIN
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 479

Post by JillinIN »

I love this discussion. Lots of great points here.
Jill
 Jill
ImageImage
JillinIN
Cherry Cola

Post by JillinIN »

Ayla wrote:
cajenkins81 wrote:
Ayla wrote: Now I disagree. I don't think we scrap about ourselves enough. We tell everyone else's stories.... why shouldn't we tell our own? My mom died when I was a teenager. If she had scrapped about herself, I would know her better! I am trying to do this more for my kids...they might want that in the future!
This is a very good point! But the problem I run in to, is that no one in my family is as passionate about taking pictures of me or anything, as much as I love to take pics. SO I don't often have many pics with me in them, and if I ask them to take some, they rarely come out - I asked hubs to take a couple pics of me when we went camping for that very reason, but they were around the fire in the dark and you could just see a blob. So yeah. I do have SOME pics tho, but by and large I have more pics of others simply because I'm the photographer and others don't think to take pics of me. But I think it's a great thing to add the memories and the journaling that tells the story, for reasons you have pointed out. I scrap but don't often do the journaling, and I'm realizing that just a few years erases those stories from ourselves, much less having our kids know about them.
I've experienced that too. But I can take pictures of the things I like to do or something like that, and scrap THAT....so my kids know more of what I like and why I'm the way I am. I took a picture of my hand once and did a layout about how much they reminded me of my mother's. And my kids LOVE that layout! It's this one....
I love this page.

My mother passed away about 7 years ago and I would love to have a photo of her petite hands. I picture them often. I had no idea my memories would focus so much on how her hands looked, which of course leads to all of the things she did for me with her hands.
Jill
 Jill
ImageImage
debamas
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 228

Post by debamas »

Points well taken on pics of ourselves. I too have asked dh to take a pic of me with the camera but he has no clue how to focus in on subject! Nancy, great LO and thoughts! My mother and father are aging and you have me thinking that I too will want to have more pics than just their posed professional ones they give us. I'm beginning to write downs tidbits of info when I go to visit so as not to forget stories and info. A close up of Dad picking his scuppernongs in the summer...oh you have me thinking now! THanks
Debbie

blfonty
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 995

Post by blfonty »

ernstem wrote:scraplift an old layout with the subject being ourselves? ;)

I like that option of scraplifting ourselves and scrap about ourselves - with supplies from our stash?
blfonty a.k.a. Bonnie

joannie
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 2450

Post by joannie »

if it's old stuff---I got it!!! if it's scrap myself---I'm in trouble! :winkb:
- joannie

Image Image ImageImageImage
JillinIN
Cherry Cola

Post by JillinIN »

debamas wrote:Points well taken on pics of ourselves. I too have asked dh to take a pic of me with the camera but he has no clue how to focus in on subject! Nancy, great LO and thoughts! My mother and father are aging and you have me thinking that I too will want to have more pics than just their posed professional ones they give us. I'm beginning to write downs tidbits of info when I go to visit so as not to forget stories and info. A close up of Dad picking his scuppernongs in the summer...oh you have me thinking now! THanks
Would your dh be open to a quick lesson from you on how to get a good picture with your camera? Maybe on a day when you're just relaxing and not in the middle of an activity that your photographing. Sometimes my kids are in a hurry when I ask them to take a picture of me and it comes out blurry.... grrrr. I've also found that sometimes when people press the button they press too hard and move the camera. Could that be the problem?
Great idea to start writing down those stories. I wish I would have written down the stories that I still remembered from my Mom after she passed away. They've faded so much over the years.

You have to tell me, what is a scuppernong?
Jill
 Jill
ImageImage
cajenkins81
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 256

Post by cajenkins81 »

Nancy - such a neat idea for a page! And definitely what it's all about - the memories. I have a layout of Olivia as a baby, with an eye, a hand, a foot, and maybe an ear? With the quote: "the sum is worth more than the total of it's parts." It's part of a psychology theory - that all of those parts are precious, but what they make up together is priceless and worth far more.

I just never thought to do many on me, or the journaling. I have ONE page I think on ME, it was for a challenge sometime I think, but no journaling. In case y'all haven't figured it out yet, I don't journal much! haha. I need to start doing that....

Anywho, great ideas here ladies. We'll have to each make it a mission to journal more, and the journaling challenge does a good job of that!
Carolyn, mommy to Olivia (precocious preschooler) and Owen (rambunctious toddler).

2013 Page Totals: April - 3. May - 17. June - 25. July - 20. Aug - 20, 2 tags. Sept - 5. Oct - 13. Nov - 8. Dec - 14 LO, 2 projects, 1 card. 
Year: 125, 1 card, 2 projects, 2 tags 
2014 Page Totals: Jan - 15, 2 cards. Feb - 9, 1 project. Mar - 21 (I was busy!) (45 this year already)

My New Blog! Scrapper, Interrupted
JillinIN
Cherry Cola

Post by JillinIN »

cajenkins81 wrote:Nancy - such a neat idea for a page! And definitely what it's all about - the memories. I have a layout of Olivia as a baby, with an eye, a hand, a foot, and maybe an ear? With the quote: "the sum is worth more than the total of it's parts." It's part of a psychology theory - that all of those parts are precious, but what they make up together is priceless and worth far more.

I just never thought to do many on me, or the journaling. I have ONE page I think on ME, it was for a challenge sometime I think, but no journaling. In case y'all haven't figured it out yet, I don't journal much! haha. I need to start doing that....

Anywho, great ideas here ladies. We'll have to each make it a mission to journal more, and the journaling challenge does a good job of that!
I love that quote paired with the photos you mentioned. That's a great idea. We're expecting our first grandbaby in sept. I am definately going to use your idea!! Thanks
Jill
 Jill
ImageImage
cajenkins81
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by cajenkins81 »

JillinIN wrote:
cajenkins81 wrote:Nancy - such a neat idea for a page! And definitely what it's all about - the memories. I have a layout of Olivia as a baby, with an eye, a hand, a foot, and maybe an ear? With the quote: "the sum is worth more than the total of it's parts." It's part of a psychology theory - that all of those parts are precious, but what they make up together is priceless and worth far more.

I love that quote paired with the photos you mentioned. That's a great idea. We're expecting our first grandbaby in sept. I am definately going to use your idea!! Thanks

Awesome! I'll have to post the layout - I need to take pics of it first, or see if it's in my old Photobucket account... I used old "outtakes" to make the layout which was especially neat, since I didn't "mean" to take those pics. I saw one once where the lady cut out around a big pic of the baby and put it on the page, with circles coming off of lines drawn to certain body parts, with "definitions" inside the circles. i.e. hands: for holding mommy's hands, wrapping daddy's fingers around, or equally cutsie stuff. I also have a page I did with several random shots that led up to the one shot I was TRYING to get - you know, when you have to take 10 to get the 1 perfect shot? Well I used those and the page is called "outtakes." I'll have to find that one and post it also.
Carolyn, mommy to Olivia (precocious preschooler) and Owen (rambunctious toddler).

2013 Page Totals: April - 3. May - 17. June - 25. July - 20. Aug - 20, 2 tags. Sept - 5. Oct - 13. Nov - 8. Dec - 14 LO, 2 projects, 1 card. 
2014 Page Totals: Jan - 15, 2 cards. Feb - 9, 1 project. Mar - 21 (I was busy!) (45 this year already)

1grandma
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 187

Post by 1grandma »

Claudette wrote:I think that your challenge is to create a layout about yourself at a younger age.

Welcome, Claudette. I hope you spend more time here at ACOT with us as we become friends.
Bibi
cajenkins81
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by cajenkins81 »

JillinIN wrote:

Here's the Outtakes one

And here's the Bits and Pieces one

sherelm
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 748

Post by sherelm »

I'm guessing baby photos. And I ain't playing. . . . (JK)
JillinIN
Cherry Cola

Post by JillinIN »

cajenkins81 wrote:
JillinIN wrote:

Here's the Outtakes one

And here's the Bits and Pieces one

These are great. I love them. Is that Olivia in both? tfs!
Jill
 Jill
ImageImage
JillinIN
Cherry Cola

Post by JillinIN »

sherelm wrote:I'm guessing baby photos. And I ain't playing. . . . (JK)
lol. not baby photos. you can relax. :-D
Jill
 Jill
ImageImage

Return to “Contests & Challenges”