Get FREE shipping with your $35 order with code FREESHIP35

rachel0017

Cherry Picker

May 2024 Book Lover's Challenge
Thank you to everyone who participated this month, and was patient as I chose winners a month late! End of school year and volunteering at camp threw me off my game big time!

The winner of the $5 gift card is…#13 - CynthiaB!
The winner of the automatic entry for June is…#10 - SandyJay!

It’s the classic story: Kid wants dog. Mom does not want dog. Kid is relentless. Mom assuages kid with all sorts of small tanked and caged animals. Kid still wants dog. Mom gives in. Kid gets dog. Mom and dog become best friends.

Although she never wanted a dog, when Mattie becomes part of their family, Ann Abel cannot help but fall in love. Since she works from home, Ann and Mattie become each other’s primary companion and the bond is instant. Therefore, when Mattie is killed in a tragic accident, Ann spirals into a depression from which she is not sure she’ll return. 

She decides that the best way to honor Mattie’s memory is to get another dog right away that she can pour all of her love and attention into, just like she did with Mattie. Upon arriving at the kennel, they are met with Milo, a stately dog who is the picture of reserve and calm, and it is love at first sight. Unfortunately, when they arrive home, they learn that the first impression Milo put forth is not who he really is. He is aggressive, biting two of Ann’s three children, loudly barks at any car or person who passes by the window, and pulls the leash during walks, dragging Ann across the ground, any time so much as a squirrel runs past.  

Though she considers returning him to the shelter, Ann’s desire to do right by Milo forces her to search out ways to temper his behavior. Ultimately, she is led to the foremost dog trainer in the region. Thus begins a relationship between pet and owner that will, at turns, challenge Ann, take her out of her comfort zone, and force her to do things she never thought she’d do. But, as she learns, the great thing about dogs is that however much you give them in terms of love, trust, and protection, they give you back double in return.  

OPTION 1: KEEP ON SWIMMING
After learning that Milo had been returned to the shelter twice before coming to live with Ann’s family, she decided she was not going to give up on him. It took lots of time, dedication, and perseverance, but by working together, Ann and Milo were able to learn to trust one another and develop a relationship that, while different from the one she shared with Mattie, was special nonetheless. So, for Option 1, scrap about an experience that was difficult and that you (or someone you know) had to work hard to overcome. The primary focus for this page should be the struggle, and ultimate triumph.  

OPTION 2: YOUR FAVORITE PET
This might seem a bit obvious, but at the core of this book is the bond between human and animal. I have four pets myself (three cats and a dog) and, while they can be frustrating, loud, and in the way, I absolutely cannot imagine my life without them in it. That said, make a page about a pet (or pets) you’ve had who has changed your life for the better.

The Fine Print:
1. HAVE FUN MAKING YOUR PROJECT!
2. Entries open to new projects - paper, digital, & card making.
3. May be combined with one other challenge that allows it.
4. Due May 31st, at 11:59 PM.
5. One lucky winner, chosen at random, will receive a $5 ACOT gift card from me!
6. Up to 3 entries permitted per month.
7. If there are more than 15 unique entries (not including bonuses) during the month, a second name will be drawn and that person will get an automatic entry for the following month.

Participants:

1. The Scrap Attack
2. Lilkoala3
3. Lilkoala3
4. Lilkoala3
5. GerriW (automatic entry from April win)
6. Tammey
7. Wendycrowe
8. Aheatfan
9. MaganL
10. SandyJay
11. MaganL
12. JordanBev5
13. CynthiaB
14. Amy Jo
15. Amy Jo
16. Stinkerbelle
17. Pawprints
18. LoreenC

Jolly Holly Scraps

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Re: May 2024 Book Lover's Challenge
Love it! 😍

VickiR

Cherry Jubilee

Great challenge...sounds like our daughter's story.
    ImageImage

The Scrap Attack

Cherry Blossom

Here is my entry combined with the Cherry Lift Challenge! I chose option 2. My kitty Europa was adopted from Petsmart after I saw she was available in our local store . She's sassy and sweet and affectionate (on her own terms) and I cannot imagine life without her!

Image Image Image

lilkoala3

Bowl Full of Cherries

About my daughter's fear (and new-found courage) at the playground!
Leslie

lilkoala3

Bowl Full of Cherries

About making special memories despite COVID. I didn't let it keep us from carrying on our family tradition.
Leslie

lilkoala3

Bowl Full of Cherries

About my daughter getting glasses and how she did so well after a few days of difficulty.
Leslie

Tammey

Cherry Cola

I went with opt. 2...

Image Image Image Image Image

wendycrowe

Cherry Bing

I chose Option #2 - My kitty Penny and I used a quote I"ve had for a while.

aheatfan

Chocolate Covered Cherry

I went with Option 1. My son and I are very strong readers and writers but Math...not so much. We both struggled greatly through high school and college but with tutors and math labs, we made it through.  I teach kindergarten and work everyday to try and foster a love of math that I never had. Thanks for another great challenge. 

🌴Kristin  
"Be the Change You Wish to See in the World"
ImageImageImageImageImage

MaganL

Cherry Picker

I'm not sure if this is a big enough struggle and triumph story, but it's a story about our very long flight to America (16 hours) and my daughter was sick most of the time holding a barf bag to her face.  My son also vomited on the flight, but we endured.  
combined with Alphabet Movie Challenge.

SandyJay

Cherry Garcia

My layout is really a combination of both options.  I have had many trials and tears with my horse, my “pet”.  we have triumphed over so many things, one of which was his back surgery in 2019.  I don’t even want to imagine life without him, and a few times I considered selling or even putting him down due to his pain and acting out from that.  We now have a great partnership.   I put the word “grow” between the photos to sum up the growth of trust and communication we developed that we enjoy today.  thank you for hosting! 

MaganL

Cherry Picker

Favorite pet option

jordanbev5

Cherry Blossom

Option 1: Overcoming the fear of falling over the cliff!! We all managed to do it! Just to see the sunset of the Grand Canyon!!
ImageImage

CynthiaB

Cherry Blossom

This is for option 2. My dog Lucy has changed my life for the better, because since we adopted her, I go outside more, get exercise, greet neighbors, and generally appreciate our community - including the flowers and landscaping that she so often sniffs!
Thanks for the spark to get this documented!
I combined this with the Manufacturer with a Twist challenge.
Image Image

Amy Jo

Cherry Bing

Here’s my entry for option 2…my first dog!

ImageImageImage

Amy Jo

Cherry Bing

My entry for option 1 is about my last minute RV trip to Arizona to get married after my father had a heart attach 5 days before the wedding. One of the most difficult experiences of my life was getting married in the pandemic. So many challenges but we made it work!

ImageImageImage

stinkerbelle

Cherry Bomb

option 2, combined with Taylor Swift challenge

*Stacy*  

Image  Image Image  ImageImage

pawprints

A Cherry on Top

I choose option 2 and scrapped about my two sweet labs that we had before Twinkie and Sky. Lots of journaling about how they changed our life and led to Twinkie and Sky. Thank you for this great challenge!

ImageImage Image Image  

LoreenC

Cherry Garcia

My LO is about our little dog , Annie! The journaling is on the tag, photo in gallery ! She came into our life when we needed a light , things were pretty dim. She makes us laugh and smile Every day! She is a blessing and just her presence  has made the biggest difference in my DH’s life !!
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Contests & Challenges”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee