Get FREE shipping with your $35 order with code FREESHIP35

rachel0017

Cherry Picker

October 2023 Book Lover's Challenge - UPDATED WITH WINNERS!
Thank you to everyone who participated this month! The winners are...

$5 gift card: #35 - Deanna13 (Deanna)
Auto-entry for November: #25 - stinkerbelle (Stacy)

This month’s book is not new, though it is new to me. I knew the story, but I didn’t know about this memoir until I started lesson planning for a book I was reading to my 4th and 5th graders. I fell down a rabbit hole of interviews and videos and happened upon this book, so I got it from my library and devoured it in two days. I hope you are as fascinated by the story as I am.

In the evening hours of August 6, 1974, high-wire walker Philippe Petit snuck into the South Tower of the World Trade Center with a friend while two accomplices infiltrated the North Tower. They hid until nightfall when all the guards had left, then proceeded to the roofs of their respective buildings. Working all night, they set up rigging for a cable to span the distance between the two towers, ready for Petit’s death-defying (and highly illegal) high-wire act. Soon after dawn on August 7, Petit took his first steps onto the wire. Police flooded the roofs of both towers demanding Petit come down, but he blatantly ignored them, instead doing eight promenades on the wire, even going so far as to kneel and lie down at one point. He was arrested as soon as he returned to the roof, and ultimately sentenced to perform in Central Park for the children of the city. 

This is the story most of the world knows. However, in his memoir, Petit details how the idea to traverse the towers struck him, the months turned years of planning, and the hundreds of clandestine trips he took to the roofs of the towers, photographing the various angles, beams, and equipment already there so he would better know what he needed. He explains the many planned dates for “the coup” which fell through, how many of his accomplices came into his life by chance, and the one accomplice who got cold feet on the day of the performance, leaving his partner to do the bulk of the work by himself. Ultimately, Petit describes how his love for the Twin Towers and his reception from the city endeared him to it, so he became a New Yorker, never going back to live in France. As a result, and due to the reverence and relationship he had for the Towers, he felt the devastation all the more when 9/11 took place. At times funny, heartbreaking, and just plain unbelievable, To Reach the Clouds is a rare behind-the-scenes look at one of history’s most daring feats.  

OPTION 1: TOUCHING THE SKY
Part of Petit’s fascination with high-wire walking is to string his wire in a beautiful place and become one with the sky. So, for Option 1, make a page about something that takes place in the sky. Sunsets, sunrises, fireworks, rainbows, fun cloud formations – the sky’s the limit (pun intended), as long as the page’s focus is the sky.  

OPTION 2: THRILL-SEEKERS
Another reason Petit loves his high-wire act is the thrill of doing something slightly illegal and dangerous which requires putting his life on the line. So, for Option 2, make a page of the thrill-seekingest thing you, or someone you know, has done. Are you a fan of extreme sports or do you know someone who is? Has anyone in your life been zip-lining or rock climbing? Maybe your family went parasailing on your last cruise. Whatever the adventure, whoever the adventurer, document it!

My daughter, trying rock climbing for the first time.

The Fine Print:

1. HAVE FUN MAKING YOUR PROJECT!
2. Entries open to new projects - paper, digital, & card making.
3. May be combined with one other challenge that allows it.
4. Due October 31st, at 11:59 PM.
5. One lucky winner, chosen at random, will receive a $5 ACOT gift card from me!
6. Up to 3 entries permitted per month.
7. If there are more than 15 unique entries (not including bonuses) during the month, a second name will be drawn and that person will get an automatic entry for the following month.

Participants:
1. trek
2. wissphotos
3. stinkerbelle
4. Deanna13
5. Deanna13
6. Art_Teacher
7. joannie
8. lilkoala3
9. karen c.
10. jcsmaestra

11. Karyn_Sue
12. The Scrap Attack
13. lilkoala3
14. hsblair
15. aheatfan
16. Jolly Holly Scraps (AUTOMATIC ENTRY FROM SEPTEMBER)
20. Cynthia Corbett
21. jordanbev5
22. Karyn_Sue
23. JA_Mehess
24. Donna_Coughlin
25. stinkerbelle
26. shoorn
27. Aztam
28. hsblair
29. Amy Jo
30. SandyK1967
31. traveler
32. karen c.
33. MTCanuk
34. Karyn_Sue
35. Deanna13
36. wendycrowe
37. shoorn
38. Amy Jo
39. jordanbev5
40. emmapaige
41. njr007
42. GayleChurches
43. LoreenC

Karyn_Sue

Cherry Bomb

Re: October 2023 Book Lover's Challenge
Just to clarify, and honestly not trying to put too fine a point on it......for option 2 you state what was the thrill-seekingest thing YOU ever did, did YOU do this or that, etc. However, your sample layout features your daughter. I'm not one for taking risks - not with my bad back - but my granddaughters - that's another thing! So, in summation - does the thrill seeker need to be ME or can it be a family member?

Thanks in advance. BTW - I really love your challenge!
“The next best thing to the enjoyment of a good time, is the recollection of it.” — James Lendall Basford

ImageImageImageImageImage

rachel0017

Cherry Picker

Karyn_Sue wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:28 pm
Just to clarify, and honestly not trying to put too fine a point on it......for option 2 you state what was the thrill-seekingest thing YOU ever did, did YOU do this or that, etc. However, your sample layout features your daughter. I'm not one for taking risks - not with my bad back - but my granddaughters - that's another thing! So, in summation - does the thrill seeker need to be ME or can it be a family member?

Great question! It can be any thrill-seeker you know. I'll clarify that in the wording. Thanks!

VickiR

Cherry Jubilee

Great challenge themes for this book.  Sounds interesting.
    ImageImage

Trek

Cherry Berry

Good. I have a perfect picture for the challenge!
Katerina

Jolly Holly Scraps

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Well I HAVE to add this book to my list, too! Lol!
I'm thinking the first option.

Yankeegirl

Cherry Cola

Great challenge.  I'll have to think a bit about this one, but I think I have photos for something.   For me right now, getting out of bed is a challenge!   LOL....
I am running away from my responsibilities,
and it feels good!

Kathy

Image  Image  Image Image  Image      

Monroe1218

Cherry Cropper

This challenge sounds great!  AND I'm adding the book to my to be read list!
Rebecca

jordanbev5

Cherry Blossom

Thanks for the challenge and the information about his act and book! I have never heard about it until now!
ImageImage

Karyn_Sue

Cherry Bomb

rachel0017 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:29 pm
Karyn_Sue wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:28 pm

Great question! It can be any thrill-seeker you know. I'll clarify that in the wording. Thanks!

Thanks so much!
“The next best thing to the enjoyment of a good time, is the recollection of it.” — James Lendall Basford

ImageImageImageImageImage

Trek

Cherry Berry

My LO
OPTION 1: TOUCHING THE SKY
Katerina

wissphotos

Cherry Blossom

I love taking pictures of clouds, and thought this challenge was perfect for this shot. 

stinkerbelle

Cherry Bomb

for option 1

*Stacy*  

Image  Image Image  ImageImage

lisn2cats

Sweet Cherry Pie

I remember this story well and I think I even have this book somewhere on my shelf but never read it. Love the synopsis and now I want to read the book! Love the prompts - I could stare at the sky all day (except when it's raining or snowing!). Can't wait to get started on a LO.
Image  ImageImageImage

Deanna13

A Cherry on Top

I got a couple done for this today. Here's the first using both Options... 😊
Option #1 - Something that takes place in the sky
Option #2 - Thrill Seekers

Photos of sweet grandkids Kaylee and Brady ziplining at our Barcelo Maya Resort, Mexico. (July 2022) 💖
Zipline
Image Image ImageImage

Deanna13

A Cherry on Top

Here's the 2nd using both Options... 😊
Option #1 - Something that takes place in the sky
Option #2 - Thrill Seekers

Photos of sweet granddaughter Kaylee bungy jumping at our Barcelo Maya Resort, Mexico. (July 2022) 💖

I used - 
Photoplay 'Rock Climbing' line
Pinkfresh Studio Puffy Alphas

Bungy Jump
Image Image ImageImage

Art_Teacher

Cherry Crush

Here's mine using Option 1. :)

Laura
 Image    Image         Image

joannie

Bowl Full of Cherries

I chose to do Opt #2. My Daughter and her boyfriend went thru a Local Haunted attraction. Journaling says something like "I bet she screamed her way through!!!". This was totally out of her comfort zone!
- joannie

Image Image ImageImageImage

lilkoala3

Bowl Full of Cherries

Leslie

karen c.

Cherry Bing

Option #1 Beautiful Greek Sunset!
ImageImageImage          ImageImage

Return to “Contests & Challenges”