We're celebrating World Card Making Day with 20% off the regular price of everything! Use code CARDS20

ImCanadian

Sweet Cherry Pie

Read this ladies and then tell me why you can't vote
 lcweb2.loc.gov/ammem/collections/suffrage/nwp/profiles.html

Can't/Won't.  I hear so many say I can't go vote because they have other things they have to do.  Applause for all that do vote.  :-D

MLee

Cherry Cola

Re: Read this ladies and then tell me why you can't vote
 Can't or Won't?

ImCanadian

Sweet Cherry Pie

Themom wrote: Can't or Won't?
Good question.  I'll rephrase that to can't/won't.

DaisyLou

Sweet Cherry Pie

I have to say that convinces me even more that voting is the way to go. I like my democracy and I want to support it!!

AnnOminous

Chocolate Covered Cherry

I don't understand.  I do vote.

MLee

Cherry Cola

I and now my two oldest children celebrated our 18th birthdays by registering to vote and I have voted in every election, including those little school board elections that often go unnoticed, ever since.

In the campaigns in which I've been a part, most were won or lost by just a handful of votes. Here in AR we have literally had elections won by 1 vote. Often these elections were larger cities and counties in hard fought campaigns, but because so few constituents excercised their right to vote that's what it came down to.

I always wanted the right to complain. I didn't want the decisions to be left up to other people. Most of all I admire the women who bravely fought for my right to have a say at all.

Plus, I would love to see more women involved in politics. It has been my experience that in the matters of government a woman generally does a better of job of running with diplomacy and getting the bills paid on time and without corruption.

ImCanadian

Sweet Cherry Pie

Themom wrote: I and now my two oldest children celebrated our 18th birthdays by registering to vote and I have voted in every election, including those little school board elections that often go unnoticed, ever since.

In the campaigns in which I've been a part, most were won or lost by just a handful of votes. Here in AR we have literally had elections won by 1 vote. Often these elections were larger cities and counties in hard fought campaigns, but because so few constituents excercised their right to vote that's what it came down to.

I always wanted the right to complain. I didn't want the decisions to be left up to other people. Most of all I admire the women who bravely fought for my right to have a say at all.

Plus, I would love to see more women involved in politics. It has been my experience that in the matters of government a woman generally does a better of job of running with diplomacy and getting the bills paid on time and without corruption.
Well said!!

Queen Mum

Cherry Addict

YOu bet I vote!
Queen Mum - Grammy to Princess Bump (Lisa Giann) and Princess Bean (Gia Bella)

loralye78

Sweet Cherry Pie

GO NDP!!!!!  
Live Love Laugh....Life's too short

JeanG

Cherry Cola

IMO, there isn't a can't.  You can register online.  Your city or township will send you the registration form.  In MI, when we change our address on our driver's license, they send in a notice of change in voting site.  My Mom has had her ballot for 2 weeks and has asked questions on whatever she doesn't understand.  Anyone can do that.  They mail it a month ahead of time & she has it in a week before the election. Even a quadrapelgic can vote with the help of family or home staff.  If anyone can come up with a good reason for "can't", I'd like to hear it...there could be a really good one for all I know.  I vote in every election - except the ones last summer and fall when I was in the hospital.  My ds's drive me nuts because they haven't registered to vote since they moved - and it's such an easy thing to do.  When they complain about the government, I tell them it's their own fault - they could have voted.  What a great right we have - and they ignore it! ARGH!
I wonder, sometimes, if we ever give God a headache.

luboost

Sweet Cherry Pie

I vote!  Sometimes dh gets a little blue, and says it won't help anyway, but I can't think that way.  What if there are 200 other people on 'our side' who are also saying that!  Every vote counts...and even some fake votes too... :x

erica :)

SBcrazee

Cherry Jubilee

JeanG wrote:IMO, there isn't a can't.  You can register online.  Your city or township will send you the registration form.  In MI, when we change our address on our driver's license, they send in a notice of change in voting site.  My Mom has had her ballot for 2 weeks and has asked questions on whatever she doesn't understand.  Anyone can do that.  They mail it a month ahead of time & she has it in a week before the election. Even a quadrapelgic can vote with the help of family or home staff.  If anyone can come up with a good reason for "can't", I'd like to hear it...there could be a really good one for all I know.  I vote in every election - except the ones last summer and fall when I was in the hospital.  My ds's drive me nuts because they haven't registered to vote since they moved - and it's such an easy thing to do.  When they complain about the government, I tell them it's their own fault - they could have voted.  What a great right we have - and they ignore it! ARGH!
A big can't is the large number of people in this country that are not citizens yet. Many are in the process of obtaining a Green card legally & that process can take anywhere from 3 - 5 years. Once you are a Green card holder, you cannot obtain citizenship for 5 more years & even after you apply for citizenship it takes quite a while to actually obtain citizenship.
ImageImage

katarria

Chocolate Covered Cherry

I even got a "Vote Now" t-shirt at Old Navy to wear to school to promote voting :)
~Kathy
{hopelessly addicted}

Filling my basket with all of the new goodies :)

JulesinParadise

Tiki Bar Mgr

I am a firm believer in the premise that ONE person CAN make a difference.  I took on a self designed project a few years ago to register as many of our students in our high school (pop. 2400) as were eligible.  I enlisted a graphic artist to design a birthday card that said"Welcome to the Party" and it had a donkey and an elephant around a bday cake.  On the inside I provided the means that they could register at our school to vote and has a wonderful secretary have them delivered on the kid's 18 birthday.  I enrollled close to 200 kids with a lot of help! 

Cant vote?  Won't vote?  We are lucky we have this right...

(stepping down off my "one person can make a difference" soap box, tucking it under my arm and walking into the sunset)
Image WAS a TIKI BAR GIRL AND ALWAYS WILL BE

SBcrazee

Cherry Jubilee

I believe the right to vote is such a special privilege. I don't understand why anyone who has that right won't vote.
ImageImage

Return to “General Debate”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee