Gender Reveal Etiquette

Moderator: ACOT Employee

sdwhru
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 358

Re: Gender Reveal Etiquette

Post by sdwhru »

Some of my friends have had Gender Reveal Parties.  Honestly, I refuse to go.  Some have done gifts, some have not.  The baby shower (especially if the first child) is the more important thing.  Like the others, I think Gender Reveal Parties are nothing but greed and me, me, me.  They irk me to no end.  Plus I'm waiting for one to be revealed as a boy and be a girl or vice versa.  Don't get me wrong - I am all about celebrating baby to be born, but this gender reveal things for the birds.  
pawprints
A Cherry on Top
Gallery: 1041

Post by pawprints »

I thought that gender reveals were just that… a reveal of the gender! No gifts, just a reveal and a celebration!

How rude to ask for gifts and say "no dollar store gifts" and "make your gift count" type things! OMG that is just plain disgusting! That goes for any invitation!

Image Image Image Image

Flasher
Cherry Crush
Gallery: 319

Post by Flasher »

I'm so relieved to know I'm not alone in my opinion!  A lot of times in my family I am viewed as the "old fashioned fuddy duddy" (they've been "jokingly" calling me that since I was 18).   I'm sooooooo often told to "get with it".  Ugh.

By the way, the reveal party is being thrown by my Aunt, but my cousin (the mother-to-be) is super involved in the planning, so she knows exactly what's going on. 
OCD is not an adjective.  It is not a personality quirk. It is not synonymous with being organized.  It is a complex and debilitating mental health illness that affects people of all ages and walks of life, and is defined by the presence of unwanted, intrusive thoughts and repetitive actions. 💙 I am an OCD warrior and I fight for my son. 💙

Flasher
Cherry Crush

Post by Flasher »

CarrieG wrote:gonna be possibly rude here but I have noticed with my older daughters friends....that so many of  the under 30's are just GREEDY pretty much :(
I have never seen a gender reveal with gifts!!!  that is what the shower is for.... REVEAL=revealing of gender  SHOWER=shower with gifts.........pretty much a no brainer............
ive learned over the years to just not go to functions that I am pissy about...cuz I wear it on my sleeve...LOL
I don't think it's rude, and I completely agree.   
OCD is not an adjective.  It is not a personality quirk. It is not synonymous with being organized.  It is a complex and debilitating mental health illness that affects people of all ages and walks of life, and is defined by the presence of unwanted, intrusive thoughts and repetitive actions. 💙 I am an OCD warrior and I fight for my son. 💙

LoreenC
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 1269

Post by LoreenC »

Oh, Yuck !!! What is wrong with some of these "millennials"? I guess that's what they are called now?!
Gender reveal is fun & creative , but I have only seen it like a pop up to surprise the friends & family at a get together. Did not know it was a planned event, But I am not surprised. I am sick to death of being asked for a gift and being dictated to  about What , How Much, what BRAND, etc.  For Heavens sake, Be happy to get anything!! 
The invitation you got  is RUDE and thoughtless. I would not go( you will probably see video on Facebook) , and that is just my opinion. My Neice wanted certain gifts and descriptions of what they should be Or $$$$$ for her wedding(she was married a year ago , before he deployed, but they knew a long time in advance, and are having a family wedding in July) needless to say, I'm not going. I am old fashioned & I Would tell my girls the same if they did these things, and they are 41 & 38!! It is rude.
ImageImageImageImageImage
traveler
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 750

Post by traveler »

I had a thought for you. It says to "make your gift count" so buy her a book on how to raise an un-spoiled child.
Louise

Image Image Image Image Image

Flasher
Cherry Crush

Post by Flasher »

trainmom wrote:I had a thought for you. It says to "make your gift count" so buy her a book on how to raise an un-spoiled child.
Boom!  Image 

emmapaige
Chatty Cherry
Gallery: 2441

Post by emmapaige »

trainmom wrote:I had a thought for you. It says to "make your gift count" so buy her a book on how to raise an un-spoiled child.
Perfect!!! 
** Chris **

My blog: http://mommomandpoppop.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImage Image

shoorn
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 2842

Post by shoorn »

Those Gender Reveal parties are new - though I thought they were just get-togethers with food and drink to share the happy news with friends and family. Back in my day (and now I date myself), all showers were gender neutral - you never knew the gender of the baby.A lot of green and yellow and basic items. No ultrasounds - that came along after I had my son. Then it became fashionable to know what gender you were having and people who decided to wait were considered weird. I have to agree that this generation seems to be more about appearances and  what they can get than some previous generations - though I hate to lump a generation together. I have also heard of baby showers for 2nd and 3rd babies - which I find odd. I can see it if it has been a long time between kids or the baby is a different gender than the other kids but really...it sounds like just wanting more stuff. 

I find the invite extremely rude. First to ask for gifts and then to specify what to bring and thirdly say not to buy at Dollar Store. Really - how are you going to know - especially for the basics? I would not go to the gender reveal party or send a gift. I would wait for the actual shower. 
Hi everyone!    Image   My name is Susan and I love to scrapbook!

Image ImageImage   Image
Scrap Bug
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 240

Post by Scrap Bug »

I think it's rude.  I don't really get the whole gender reveal party thing anyway, but whatever.  I waited to see what mine were - it's not like I could change anything by finding out earlier.  

Anyway, I digress.  I haven't heard of bringing gifts to the gender reveal party.  I think I would either go without a gift or bring a gift and not go to the shower, and call it done.  People also shouldn't be dictating where you buy your stuff.  That stuff turns me off.  I don't know if this was per the couple's request, or just per the host, but it rubs me the wrong way too.
Melissa
Donna_Coughlin
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 539

Post by Donna_Coughlin »

I think just a baby shower is good enough. If you want to have a gender reveal don't expect gifts.
Donna
ImageImageImage
57Diana
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 365

Post by 57Diana »

Wow!!! I am absolutely shocked by the invitation!!!  Agree totally with the your hosts being rude!  Honestly, I don't know if I would go.  I would buy what I wanted and not worry about it.  They can do what they want with it. I think asking for a gift so specifically is just rude.  OK off my soapbox.
An expert at anything was once a beginner!

blbabe1234
Cherry Bark
Gallery: 3697

Post by blbabe1234 »

LOVE!
Brandy 🐾 🐾 ❤️

ImageImage   ImageImageImage
scrappinmom99
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 1360

Post by scrappinmom99 »

blbabe1234 wrote:

LOVE!
Haha, good one! Or get some math flashcards! Make it count! Image
Happy Scrapping!
Anne-Marie
1scrappymom
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 800

Post by 1scrappymom »

LOL  My nieces have all these parties.  I've not actually been invited to any of them - THANK THE LORD - but I agree...how presumptuous to spell out what you can and cannot bring.  I would TOTALLY bring a passive/aggressive gift just because I was told not to.  I mean seriously??  Get the book!   ImageImageImageImageImage
Shannon
My Blog -->  BlinnsBlog
Instagram --> @onescrappymom71
sherelm
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 733

Post by sherelm »

scrappinmom99 wrote:
blbabe1234 wrote:

LOVE!

LOL!!!  I say you come up with a basket of things, including a "gift card" with where the gift card goes, put in the offensive "Make your Gift Count" message and a gift card to the Dollar Tree. 
Art_Teacher
Cherry Crush
Gallery: 2322

Post by Art_Teacher »

I agree with everyone on here. Some of the stuff that is being thought of by the younger generation is just thoughtless and RUDE!  I blame social media...it's like everyone has to outdo everyone else and show off for them. :(  Kids' birthday parties get more ridiculously elaborate every year.  Gender reveal parties...like everyone really cares.  They just want you to have a healthy baby! 

I say give the book, too! ;)
Laura
 Image    Image     Image  Image  Image
JillinIN
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 479

Post by JillinIN »

I can hear Miss Manners' response in my head, and although she would say it more eloquently, the request for a gift that "Counts" and "no Dollar Store" items is rude!

Maybe I'm old fashioned too, but I didn't know people were expected to bring gifts to a gender reveal party unless it was replacing a baby shower.

Definition of gift
  1. 1:  a notable capacity, talent, or endowment
  2. 2:  something voluntarily transferred by one person to another without compensation
  3. 3:  the act, right, or power of giving
Jill
 Jill
ImageImage
Julie M.
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 61

Post by Julie M. »

wrote:
blbabe1234 wrote:

LOVE!

Awesome!!!!!!!!! LMAO!!

KrazSparkle
Cherry Picker
Gallery: 297

Post by KrazSparkle »

A little unpopular opinion being 31, I swear we are not all like this!! I swear I would never tell someone to bring a gift much less not from the dollar store! Hell at my shower for my boy I had two friends who said they couldn't make it because they were low on cash, I insisted it didn't matter (to me it didn't) it was about having fun together doing some games, and talking and the best part is food!! My SIL when she had the her wedding shower had a thing in the invite that stated not to wrap the gifts because she was going green. and I thought that was a little unorthodox, but it was a cute little poem and it saved me in the long run. (shes under 30 you can find us out there unspoiled)

I love gender reveals! I think they are so cute although I will probably never have one. Thinking I'm done with the having kids. I love parties!! if I were to get that invitation I would probably throw it out and write a possessive aggressive note on how I could not afford something that is to celebrate the gender of the baby and to enjoy each company. I would be heated because sadly I'm strapped on money and gifts come from all over including that cute outfit from the D.G. I'm not looking at where I got it from I'm looking at is it safe? is it cute? will it fit, ect ect.  
(Kristi) When life gives you scraps, make something with them.  ~Author Unknown

Return to “General Debate”