White ink recommendation

Moderator: ACOT Employee

DrSonja
Cherry Berry
Gallery: 95

White ink recommendation

Post by DrSonja »

Do you have a recommendation for white ink?
I'm looking for something to use with stamps on black paper. I'd like good opaque coverage that hopefully doesn't take repeated stamping. The white inks I have tried (sometimes called "craft ink"--not sure why that designation is necessary??) don't have the coverage I desire. They may go on streaky or thin and require letting it dry and stamping repeatedly in attempt to build up coverage.

What say ye, Cherries?
Image  Image 
lisn2cats
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 486

Re: White ink recommendation

Post by lisn2cats »

I remember watching one of those white vs white comparisons on YouTube and like two that were recommended - Ink on 3 and the Brilliance (Tsukineko). My only probelm with both is they dry kinda slow. The Brilliance has a little bit of shimmer to it. Even though these work okay, I get frustrated because I want brilliant white. White embossing powder is now my go-to. 
Image  ImageImageImage
VickiR
Cherry Cropper
Gallery: 1383

Post by VickiR »

I'm following to see what everyone recommends too!  I have the CTMH White Daisy and I like it, but when stamping on dark paper, it requires 2-3 applications too.  I just made a quick card for my DGS's teacher who is retiring using white ink on black.  I wasn't impressed with the outcome but DGS loved it.  I stamped 3 times and used my heat tool to dry it.

DrSonja
Cherry Berry

Post by DrSonja »

Lisn2cats wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:40 pm
I remember watching one of those white vs white comparisons on YouTube and like two that were recommended - Ink on 3 and the Brilliance (Tsukineko). My only probelm with both is they dry kinda slow. The Brilliance has a little bit of shimmer to it. Even though these work okay, I get frustrated because I want brilliant white. White embossing powder is now my go-to. 
I agree that I often just do white embossing powder, but I would really like to simplify and be able to stamp in a good, solid white.

Image  Image 
DrSonja
Cherry Berry

Post by DrSonja »

VickiR wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:45 pm
I'm following to see what everyone recommends too!  I have the CTMH White Daisy and I like it, but when stamping on dark paper, it requires 2-3 applications too.  I just made a quick card for my DGS's teacher who is retiring using white ink on black.  I wasn't impressed with the outcome but DGS loved it.  I stamped 3 times and used my heat tool to dry it.

Yep, been there, done that--multiple stamping and hoping for a clear, crisp imprint. Sometimes the heat tool causes warping of the paper, especially if applied repeatedly. I often wondered if stamping with acrylic paint would work, but I haven't sacrificed any stamps to try that. Plus, I think any pressure on the paint would cause it to squish outward, thus blurring the imprint.

Image  Image 
VickiR
Cherry Cropper

Post by VickiR »

DrSonja wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:03 pm
VickiR wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:45 pm

Yep, been there, done that--multiple stamping and hoping for a clear, crisp imprint. Sometimes the heat tool causes warping of the paper, especially if applied repeatedly. I often wondered if stamping with acrylic paint would work, but I haven't sacrificed any stamps to try that. Plus, I think any pressure on the paint would cause it to squish outward, thus blurring the imprint.

Agreed!  I even tried Versamark on the stamp before adding the white ink. 

Rachel Kent
ACOT Employee
Gallery: 1180

Post by Rachel Kent »

I like this one from Ranger -- though I have only tried it with stamping backgrounds. I think it would work fine with stamping sentiments too!

blbabe1234
Cherry Bark
Gallery: 3709

Post by blbabe1234 »

Rachel_K wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:18 pm
I like this one from Ranger -- though I have only tried it with stamping backgrounds. I think it would work fine with stamping sentiments too!

ImageImage
Thank you Rachel!

*add to cart*

Brandy 🐾 🐾 ❤️

ImageImage   ImageImageImage
DrSonja
Cherry Berry

Post by DrSonja »

Thanks for the input, Rachel. However, as you can see from this close-up from your gallery, the ink is not truly opaque over dark backgrounds. It is somewhat translucent, and the grid design of the background shows through.

I suspect this would need to be stamped repeatedly to get good, solid coverage on black paper and it doesn't have the crisp white look I crave. I don't know if this is an impossible quest. 

It just occurred to me that perhaps distress oxide ink might work since oxides can be successfully layered over other inks. Is there a Glacier White or Picket Fence in oxide?  I didn't see one in the store. 
Image  Image 
jcsmaestra
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 930

Post by jcsmaestra »

I like Gina K pigment white ink. It’s very juicy and images and sentiments stamp well on black paper. It’s also great for heat embossing. 
Mary           Love is all around you.

ImageImage  Image Image Image

jcsmaestra
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 930

Post by jcsmaestra »

I rarely need to stamp twice with the Gina K white pigment ink. 
Mary           Love is all around you.

ImageImage  Image Image Image

pawprints
A Cherry on Top
Gallery: 1052

Post by pawprints »

This is something that I have been looking for for a long time too, so I will be following this!

Image Image Image

Jolly Holly Scraps
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 516

Post by Jolly Holly Scraps »

Rachel_K wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:18 pm

I was JUST about to jump in and say that THIS is the white ink I use! 😂 I think it's better than some of the other ones I've tried! 😉
GinniG
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 471

Post by GinniG »

I’m following too!!!! It would be awesome to have a really good white ink that gave a really crisp image!!!!
sherelm
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 743

Post by sherelm »

https://youtu.be/NJ3F6hL7WN4?feature=shared

This YouTube video is just 2 minutes and shows white Color box being stamped on a black envelope
DrSonja
Cherry Berry

Post by DrSonja »

sherelm wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:15 pm

This YouTube video is just 2 minutes and shows white Color box being stamped on a black envelope

I wonder if that is still available since Colorbox has gone out of business.
She has a funny way of plucking the stamp off the paper LOL.
Image  Image 
VickiR
Cherry Cropper

Post by VickiR »

DrSonja wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 2:19 pm
sherelm wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:15 pm

I wonder if that is still available since Colorbox has gone out of business.
She has a funny way of plucking the stamp off the paper LOL. 

Jacquard bought the Colorbox formulas but not the name from Clearsnap.  Not sure where you can find their inks.
sherelm
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 743

Post by sherelm »

Jaquard must have a website. Hmmm ..
DrSonja
Cherry Berry

Post by DrSonja »

sherelm wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:42 pm
Jaquard must have a website. Hmmm ..
I looked, they do, quite pricy at $12-15 each, depending on color.

Image  Image 
lesmitch
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 182

Post by lesmitch »

I use the Picket Fence from Ranger.  I use it with the Misti, for me, it is the best that I have found to date.
https://www.acherryontop.com/shop/searc ... -%20Ranger
 ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “General Talk”