Get FREE shipping with your $35 order with code FREESHIP35

Shutterbug

Cherry Addict

Sub Q for pets
Has anyone ever had to do Sub Q, IV's for their pets at home?
Kimber
I used to be indecisive; now I'm not sure.

sdwhru

Cherry Jubilee

Re: Sub Q for pets
no, what is this???

Shutterbug

Cherry Addict

sdwhru wrote:no, what is this???
My dog became very sick, lethargic, an not keeping down food or water.  Took him to the vet.  Make a long story short... They sent me home after showing me how to do Sub-Q IV's on my dog for the next 3 days.  My husband was very upset about it. I was just wondering if this is common now days we pets.

Kimber

blbabe1234

Cherry Bark

I've never heard about this. Anytime one of my babies have needed IV, they are always at the vet
Brandy 🐾 🐾 ❤️

ImageImage   Image Image

DN in MN

Wild Cherry

I grew up on a hobby farm and it was very common to do that procedure on our horses, dogs, rabbits...  It is easier for the pet as you do not have to bring them back and forth (especially for horses, lol).  

2024 Layout goal ~ 14/100      2024 Word ~ FOCUS

Flasher

Cherry Crush

Not here. But, my goodness, to have to do this at home . . . I hope you little doggy is ok!
OCD is not an adjective.  It is not a personality quirk. It is not synonymous with being organized.  It is a complex and debilitating mental health illness that affects people of all ages and walks of life, and is defined by the presence of unwanted, intrusive thoughts and repetitive actions. 💙 I am an OCD warrior and I fight for my son. 💙

Shutterbug

Cherry Addict

DN in MN wrote:I grew up on a hobby farm and it was very common to do that procedure on our horses, dogs, rabbits...  It is easier for the pet as you do not have to bring them back and forth (especially for horses, lol).  

That would make sense on a hobby farm.  And would be less stress to have to transport them twice a day. It would be less stress on them.
Kimber

Shutterbug

Cherry Addict

blbabe1234 wrote:I've never heard about this. Anytime one of my babies have needed IV, they are always at the vet
\Did your babies need more then one IV.   We were going to have to do it Twice a day for 3 days. 
Kimber

Shutterbug

Cherry Addict

Laura wrote:Not here. But, my goodness, to have to do this at home . . . I hope you little doggy is ok!

Thanks he is much better.  Bouncing back to his old self.
Kimber

sdwhru

Cherry Jubilee

Glad your little doggy is doing better

suewho372

Cherry Jubilee

Yep - in December. Memphis was super sick . The first treatment she did ok with. The second which was about 4 days later when she had been on meds and felt a little better she was having no part of it.   

I just tead read the first line and responded. I need to go read the rest lol

i do believe it is becoming more common than it used to be, I looked it up online. and although expensive not as expensive as having the fur baby at the vet for extended time to have it done. It took a bit of time just to do 300ml. 
Good luck to you. I hope your little baby is better soon. Lots of hugs. If you don’t give your dog shots and are not familiar with that procedure this can give you a bit of apprehension. There are videos online to show you too if you wanted to look it up. 
Susan

killarney_rose

Chocolate Covered Cherry

My daugher had to give sub-Q for her cat while she was in college when her cat swallowed something poisonous.  Thank goodness she was in school at Texas A&M at the time and an Agriculture Education major.  That was 12 years ago and it was not common practice then.  Since we are farmers we do a lot of shots via all three types.  All under the guidance of our veterinarian. 

Shutterbug

Cherry Addict

sdwhru wrote:Glad your little doggy is doing better
Thanks. 
Kimber

Shutterbug

Cherry Addict

suewho372 wrote:Yep - in December. Memphis was super sick . The first treatment she did ok with. The second which was about 4 days later when she had been on meds and felt a little better she was having no part of it.   

I just tead read the first line and responded. I need to go read the rest lol

i do believe it is becoming more common than it used to be, I looked it up online. and although expensive not as expensive as having the fur baby at the vet for extended time to have it done. It took a bit of time just to do 300ml. 
Good luck to you. I hope your little baby is better soon. Lots of hugs. If you don’t give your dog shots and are not familiar with that procedure this can give you a bit of apprehension. There are videos online to show you too if you wanted to look it up. 
This is all so new.  We is past the 3 days we needed to do them. I will have to check out the video to be more educated.  Hopefully there is not a next time. 
Kimber

Shutterbug

Cherry Addict

killarney_rose wrote:My daugher had to give sub-Q for her cat while she was in college when her cat swallowed something poisonous.  Thank goodness she was in school at Texas A&M at the time and an Agriculture Education major.  That was 12 years ago and it was not common practice then.  Since we are farmers we do a lot of shots via all three types.  All under the guidance of our veterinarian. 
That is a good thing your daughter was an Agriculture Education Major.    
Kimber

Return to “General Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee