Get FREE shipping with your $35 order with code FREESHIP35

Flasher

Cherry Crush

Cake Decorating Help
My daughter's birthday theme this year is Tropical Safari.  Think Luau meets Safari . . . bright flowers mixed with wild animal print. 

I'm not having any problem with the cake design itself.  I've got a handle on the flowers and design.  The thing that I'm struggling with is the base which is supposed to look like a bamboo box.  I've tried pretzel rods which were too big.  Then I tried those little pretzel sticks, which were just too skinny.  I've been looking on line for ideas, but maybe my search terms aren't quite right.  Anyway, I'm having a hard time thinking of things I can use for the look of bamboo.  I'm sure there something obvious out there, but I'm just missing it. 

Any ideas?
OCD is not an adjective.  It is not a personality quirk. It is not synonymous with being organized.  It is a complex and debilitating mental health illness that affects people of all ages and walks of life, and is defined by the presence of unwanted, intrusive thoughts and repetitive actions. 💙 I am an OCD warrior and I fight for my son. 💙

Shutterbug

Cherry Addict

Re: Cake Decorating Help
Will be thinking on this today.  When is her birthday?  I have a party supply store near hear  Maybe I can go  up on Monday or Tuesday next week and see if there is anything or get ideas? 

Kimber
I used to be indecisive; now I'm not sure.

kate W.

Sweet Cherry Pie

I've made and decorated many cakes but I've never tried to imitate bamboo. That's a tough one. The only thing I can think of is those rolled up Italian treat that usually is served with coffee-they have hazelnut, chocolate, etc fillings. For the life of me I can't remember what they are called. Never mind. I id some research and finally found what I was talking about. Here's a link http://www.amazon.com/Pirouline-Rolled- ... B00006IDK9

2014 Totals 51 layouts
8 cards

Monroe1218

Cherry Cropper

I was thinking of those Pirouline cookies as well - but if the pretzel rods were too big, these might be too.  Here's a link to the Pepperidge Farm variety they call Pirouette.
http://www.pepperidgefarm.com/ProductDe ... ?catID=734
Rebecca

JillinIN

Cherry Cola

Does it need to be edible? What about dowel rods? If you need to add some color to make them look a little more like bamboo you could use brown and yellow Wilton gel coloring.
Dowel rods are safe to be touching edible parts of the cake. They are often used to stabilize tiered cakes, such as wedding cakes. They are poked into the cake to support the plate that the next tier goes on top of.

Jill
 Jill
ImageImage

JillinIN

Cherry Cola

You also might make your own with royal icing. You could use a large round tip squeeze out the size you need on wax paper and after it hardens add some detail with Wilton gel color. Shorter pieces might be easier to remove from the wax paper without breaking and then  can be "glued" together with more royal icing.
If you need a recipe or have questions let me know. I've been decorating cakes for over 30 years and was a wilton instructor for a while.Image
Jill
 Jill
ImageImage

christinec68

Cherry Bomb

Monroe1218 wrote: I was thinking of those Pirouline cookies as well - but if the pretzel rods were too big, these might be too.  Here's a link to the Pepperidge Farm variety they call Pirouette.
http://www.pepperidgefarm.com/ProductDe ... ?catID=734
I used the French Vanilla flavored pirouette cookies for a beach themed cake I made last week.  You can cut or break them easily for varied lengths. It looked great and they are delicious cookies.  I have a picture on my phone I could upload if you want to see how it looked.

butterfly843

A Cherry on Top

What about those edible cake sheets, you can get one with bamboo printed on it and wrap around the cake

Scrap Bug

Cherry Bomb

You can use fondant - very easy to do.
Melissa

Flasher

Cherry Crush

Thanks for all the ideas!  I had forgotten about those cookies!  I think I'll start with those since that seems the easiest for now!! I appreciate all of the suggestions!
OCD is not an adjective.  It is not a personality quirk. It is not synonymous with being organized.  It is a complex and debilitating mental health illness that affects people of all ages and walks of life, and is defined by the presence of unwanted, intrusive thoughts and repetitive actions. 💙 I am an OCD warrior and I fight for my son. 💙

Niki

Cherry Cola

here is a video about making bamboo out of fondant
https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=Al ... t-700&fp=1
Nicole
Image Image Image

Return to “General Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee