Where to put the Snow?

Moderator: ACOT Employee

croppinmama
Cherry Cola
Gallery: -2

Where to put the Snow?

Post by croppinmama »

I live in Massachusetts and we are under a state of emergency. So far this winter Boston has received a total of 77.3 inches of snow. Our 3rd blizzard ended early this morning. This is a photo of our bedroom window. I'm not complaining because I don't live in the city and I have a yard to blow all the snow into. I just don't know where the people in the city put all the snow?

Our snowbanks are taller than my daughter and she is 5' 4". Our sidewalk looks like a tunnel. Is it Spring yet?  Image

christinec68
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 254

Re: Where to put the Snow?

Post by christinec68 »

Wow...that's just a crazy amount of snow. :(  I hope you are all safe. 

I live in NYC and I have no idea what they do with the snow.  We haven't had that much snow in such a short time where there's a lot of built up accumulation so far this year.  In the past, it gets piled higher and higher in any available space along the streets.  Actually, last year for various reasons we didn't use one of our cars for a few weeks and it was pretty packed in...the snow/ice was as high as the door handle (it's a coupe so not too too high, but high enough).  In Manhattan, some buildings arrange for snow removal where companies come in with dumpsters and cart the snow off to nurseries or other open areas.  I'm not sure if city sanitation does the same type of thing.  
blbabe1234
Cherry Bark
Gallery: 3709

Post by blbabe1234 »

Wow..that is crazy...stay safe!
Brandy 🐾 🐾 ❤️

ImageImage   ImageImageImage
Deanna13
A Cherry on Top
Gallery: 5433

Post by Deanna13 »

WOW! That's amazing! Stay safe and warm! That reminds me of our Winter storm in March of 1994. We lived in the country and were snowed in for 2 weeks with an ice storm too. The snow was up past our barbed wire fence for the cattle and we dug a tunnel for fun. Couldn't get in or out and finally the National Guard came out and dug us out. We were totally unprepared for that. We even had one of my daughter's friends staying over so she was stuck with us.
Image Image ImageImage
killarney_rose
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 356

Post by killarney_rose »

Just think.....Boston only needs 33 more inches to have the same annual snowfall as Niagara Falls. Niagara Falls has the largest amount of snowfall of any city in the lower 48.  That was back before snow blowers when we lived on Grand Island.  Our house faced west so we would get drifts, usually once a year we would have drifts above the door and be able to sled off the roof.  I walked to school in tunnels on the sidewalk.  I am so happy to live where snow is not the norm!!!  The ranch another matter.  We usually get some snow once or twice a year.  One year we got a dusting on Easter.  It was kinda fun to see Bluebonnets with snow.  We are more likely to get ice then snow from Waco north.  But the best snow or ice to watch is to stay inside in Houston area, turn on the TV and watch stupid Texans play bumper cars on the bridges.  Houstonians have no idea how to drive on frozen precip.  But the folks in the DFW area do and they just crawl around the city, cause like I said the frozen precip is more likely to be ice.
Queen Mum
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 185

Post by Queen Mum »

Snow belongs in those little glass globes that you shake, admire and put away where you don't have to see it until you are ready. 

That is why we moved from New Hampshire to New Mexico
Queen Mum - Grammy to Princess Bump (Lisa Giann) and Princess Bean (Gia Bella)
karensay
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 240

Post by karensay »

I remember one time at Westover AFB in Chicopee, Mass. 4 of us ladies got snowed in our BAQ rooms on base.  The guys had to come and dig us out.
Karen in SC
2-page, multi-photo scrapper
Shutterbug
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 593

Post by Shutterbug »

WOW! Unbelievable! You will have to scrap that photo for the White Challenge.
Kimber
I used to be indecisive; now I'm not sure.
pawprints
A Cherry on Top
Gallery: 1052

Post by pawprints »

Wow that's a lot of snow! Stay safe and warm!

Image Image Image

croppinmama
Cherry Cola

Post by croppinmama »

christinec68 wrote:Wow...that's just a crazy amount of snow. :(  I hope you are all safe. 

I live in NYC and I have no idea what they do with the snow.  We haven't had that much snow in such a short time where there's a lot of built up accumulation so far this year.  In the past, it gets piled higher and higher in any available space along the streets.  Actually, last year for various reasons we didn't use one of our cars for a few weeks and it was pretty packed in...the snow/ice was as high as the door handle (it's a coupe so not too too high, but high enough).  In Manhattan, some buildings arrange for snow removal where companies come in with dumpsters and cart the snow off to nurseries or other open areas.  I'm not sure if city sanitation does the same type of thing.  
I saw one time a few years ago on the news one city used dump trucks to haul the snow and bring it to a facility where they melted it, crazy.
croppinmama
Cherry Cola

Post by croppinmama »

Deanna13 wrote:WOW! That's amazing! Stay safe and warm! That reminds me of our Winter storm in March of 1994. We lived in the country and were snowed in for 2 weeks with an ice storm too. The snow was up past our barbed wire fence for the cattle and we dug a tunnel for fun. Couldn't get in or out and finally the National Guard came out and dug us out. We were totally unprepared for that. We even had one of my daughter's friends staying over so she was stuck with us.
That's awful Deanna. I can't even imagine. 
croppinmama
Cherry Cola

Post by croppinmama »

killarney_rose wrote:Just think.....Boston only needs 33 more inches to have the same annual snowfall as Niagara Falls. Niagara Falls has the largest amount of snowfall of any city in the lower 48.  That was back before snow blowers when we lived on Grand Island.  Our house faced west so we would get drifts, usually once a year we would have drifts above the door and be able to sled off the roof.  I walked to school in tunnels on the sidewalk.  I am so happy to live where snow is not the norm!!!  The ranch another matter.  We usually get some snow once or twice a year.  One year we got a dusting on Easter.  It was kinda fun to see Bluebonnets with snow.  We are more likely to get ice then snow from Waco north.  But the best snow or ice to watch is to stay inside in Houston area, turn on the TV and watch stupid Texans play bumper cars on the bridges.  Houstonians have no idea how to drive on frozen precip.  But the folks in the DFW area do and they just crawl around the city, cause like I said the frozen precip is more likely to be ice.
Let's hope it doesn't get that bad. It looks like the storm coming Thursday will miss us, thank goodness.
croppinmama
Cherry Cola

Post by croppinmama »

Shutterbug wrote:WOW! Unbelievable! You will have to scrap that photo for the White Challenge.
Awesome idea thank you Image
croppinmama
Cherry Cola

Post by croppinmama »

karensay wrote:I remember one time at Westover AFB in Chicopee, Mass. 4 of us ladies got snowed in our BAQ rooms on base.  The guys had to come and dig us out.
Wow small world Karen. I used to go to church down the street from Westover and met a lot of military families. In fact I used to hang out with a few ladies from 1994 -1998 at the base.
xmashall2
Cherry Picker
Gallery: 15

Post by xmashall2 »

My husband and I are from Chicago, left in 1963.  We said the other day that we can't remember snowstorms like these.  We just didn't have them.  Rarely was school let out due to snow.  We rode streetcars (showing my age there) to high school and it had open back and front.  But to school we went.  I used to walk my baby 2 blocks to the babysitter and one day a woman on the street (the snow was blowing and cold) ask'd me why I'd take a baby out in such weather (it was about 7 am).  I informed her that I worked so she could eat.  She huffed off.  Of course, the baby was always warmer than me.  But once I got to the sitter, her neighbor gave me a ride on to work so I didn't have to walk another mile on.  Getting to the busline was the same amount of walking to it and off it to work, so I walked the straight line when I had to..  

We always enjoyed riding our cardboard pieces down the construction hill high with snow and yelling, King of the Mountain.  Guess we girls should have been yelling "Queen".
June

GlitterNGlue
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 82

Post by GlitterNGlue »

I know where I live there are some areas where the snow builds up and there is not sufficient room to pile it up or push it back (like narrow streets), the snow is scooped up by loaders onto dump trucks and brought to "snow fields." These are just big areas out of town in which to pile up snow. When I was a child areas on the coast would just dump the snow into the ocean, but that is now illegal.
sdwhru
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 358

Post by sdwhru »

oh my gosh!  I like snow but that is way too much....
debamas
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 228

Post by debamas »

I'd love to see some snow, enough to play in and have a bit of fun but now way, Jose with what you describe. Tunneling out? Sheesh! Nope, I'd have to just hunker down inside and wait it out.

Debbie

Return to “General Talk”