Get FREE shipping with your $35 order with code FREESHIP35

Ayla

Cherry Addict

Apples, apples, I've got apples!
I bought a bushel of apples yesterday for a pan of apple crisp...yeah I know...I went overboard. I always go overboard when it comes to apples. I bought Cortland, Washington Strawberry, new Gala, and Mutsu. I made pan of apple crisp last night, have another in progress right now. But I need to use more of the apples! I don't do pies because I suck at making pie crusts. So....anyone have a good apple recipe? I'll post pics here and forward a little gift if I make YOUR recipe!
 Image Image
You don't quit playing because you grow old....you grow old because you quit playing.

Art_Teacher

Cherry Crush

Re: Apples, apples, I've got apples!
Here you go!  I made this recipe page for a recipe page swap here on the board, years ago!  Thought I had posted it, but I guess not, so here it is now.  This is what I always do with my apples...easiest, yummiest recipe, ever!  Let me know if you can't read it. :)
I use a 9x13 inch pyrex pan to bake these, but I put it on a cookie sheet, in case it bubbles over! ;)  If you like your dumplings less "gooey," make the syrup with 1.5 cups of sugar and 1.5 cups of water.
Laura
 Image    Image         Image

Sara Scraps

Cherry Bing

lol...you sound so much like me! I am also swimming in apples. Here is a recipe I tried last night
.http://chocolatechocolateandmore.com/20 ... ple-sauce/
I put the apples in the Crock Pot for 8 hours just like it says...My apples stayed pretty chunky, so before I mushed them into applesauce I made caramel apple sundaes with them still warm from the Crock Pot. Ice cream. caramel sauce, warm spiced apples, whipped cream. Everyone loved them!

cort

Cherry Bing

I like to chop them up and put them in oatmeal, great hot breakfast!
ImageImage

Ayla

Cherry Addict

Art_Teacher wrote:Here you go!  I made this recipe page for a recipe page swap here on the board, years ago!  Thought I had posted it, but I guess not, so here it is now.  This is what I always do with my apples...easiest, yummiest recipe, ever!  Let me know if you can't read it. :)
I use a 9x13 inch pyrex pan to bake these, but I put it on a cookie sheet, in case it bubbles over! ;)  If you like your dumplings less "gooey," make the syrup with 1.5 cups of sugar and 1.5 cups of water.
Ooohhh....that sounds heavenly! 
 Image Image
You don't quit playing because you grow old....you grow old because you quit playing.

Ayla

Cherry Addict

andysmom wrote:lol...you sound so much like me! I am also swimming in apples. Here is a recipe I tried last night
.http://chocolatechocolateandmore.com/20 ... ple-sauce/
I put the apples in the Crock Pot for 8 hours just like it says...My apples stayed pretty chunky, so before I mushed them into applesauce I made caramel apple sundaes with them still warm from the Crock Pot. Ice cream. caramel sauce, warm spiced apples, whipped cream. Everyone loved them!

I've done crockpot applesauce for years...they're already in the crock! lol 
 Image Image

Ayla

Cherry Addict

cort wrote:I like to chop them up and put them in oatmeal, great hot breakfast!

Apples cut up in just about anything is good. I really do love apples.  My kids won't eat oatmeal though. They don't know what they're missing, as far as I"m concerned! lol
 Image Image

Charleneanne

Cherry Delight

I make "blonde" brownies with them a lot .  Delicious and easy and keep well. 
2/3 c shortening(half butter or margerine if you like)
2 eggs, beaten
2 c brown sugar well packed
1 tsp vanilla
2 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 full cup raw apple peeled&chopped
1/2 c chopped nuts

Cream tog first 4 ingredients  Sift tog. dry ingredients and add to shortening mixture. Mix well.  Add raw apples and nuts.  Combine thoroughly. Bake in greased 9x13 pan at 350 degrees for 30-35 min.  Cool and cut into bars. 

killarney_rose

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Oh.....yummy!!  I thought maybe apples off your trees??????

I am jealous....completely jealous!  I haven't had a off the tree apple to eat in 46 years!!  Yay....I was 8 years old and still remember!  You sure you want to move to Texas!?????

I have to find the crust recipe for my mother's pie....it's so easy and never doesn't work!  In other words if your apple pie doesn't work after using this crust it ain't the crust!!!

Gail R

Cherry Garcia

I've tried this one from the Pioneer Woman
2 Granny Smith apples
2 cans crescent rolls
2 sticks of butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 t. vanilla
cinnamon
1 small can of Mountain Dew
Peel and core apples.  Cut apples into 8 slices each.  Roll each apple slice in a crescent roll.  Pace in a 9x13 buttered pan.  Melt butter, then add sugar and barely stir.  Add vanilla, stir and pour over apples,.  Pour Mountain Dew around the edges of the pan.  Sprinkle with cinnamon and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.  Serve with ice cream, and spoon some of the sweet sauce from the pan over the top

Gail

karensay

Chocolate Covered Cherry

I'm going to keep my eye on this thread, I love apples.
Karen in SC
2-page, multi-photo scrapper

1grandma

Cherry Addict

Oh man, you all are making me hungry!
Bibi

ernstem

Cherry Cola

Apple Cake
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup sour milk (add 1 tsp vinegar to the milk and stir)
2 tsp. baking soda
2 cups peeled, diced apples
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
Topping: 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, nuts optional

*Cream shortening and sugars. Make sour milk. Add the rest of the ingredients while alternating wet/dry. Fold in apples. Spread in 9x13 pan and add topping. 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Always fluffy and tasty!

butterfly843

A Cherry on Top

I love apples, we went apple picking a few weeks back. I made applesauce,apple bread, apple muffins, apple pies and apple dumplings with them.
http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/apple ... i-muffins/
http://www.siftandwhisk.com/blog/easy-p ... pple-tart/

Ayla

Cherry Addict

These all sound awesome! Right now I"m making apple pie muffins. It called for buttermilk, which I don't have. I knew I could make a substitute with milk and lemon, but no lemon in the house! And I know vinegar works too, but again, no vinegar in the house! Thank goodness for google, because I discovered you can make a buttermilk substitute with 1 cup milk and 1/2 tablespoon of cream of tartar! Now cream of tartar IS in my cupboard! So...muffins are being made right now. I ended up with 4 pint jars of applesauce..they are in the freezer. So far the total is....1 extra large pan of apple crisp (gone already lol), 4 loaves of zucchini bread, 1 large and 8 mini loaves of banana bread. Plus the apple pie muffins and some apple turnovers are in process too. I want to definitely try the blond brownies and a couple of others in this thread. Thanks everyone!
 Image Image

Shutterbug

Cherry Addict

I received this in my  e=mails over night and it sounds yummy... It is from Betty Crocker

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/app ... 10_12_2014

Cookie Pizza1 pouch Betty Crocker™ oatmeal cookie mix 1/2 cup butter, softened 1 egg 1 tablespoon water 1/3 cup old-fashioned oats 1/3 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped 1/4 cup butter, cold and cut into cubes 3 medium apples, cored and thinly sliced 1 teaspoon lemon juice 1/3 cup granulated sugar 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon Icing1 cup powdered sugar, sifted 2 to 3 tablespoons milk 1 teaspoon vanilla Directions 
  • 1 Heat oven to 375°F. Spray large round pizza pan with cooking spray.
  • 2 Measure out 1/3 cup of the oatmeal cookie mix, and set aside.
  • 3 In medium bowl, beat remaining cookie mix with the butter, egg and water 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth and creamy. Drop dough onto pan, and spread so it completely covers the bottom.
  • 4 Bake 5 to 6 minutes or until edges just begin to turn brown.
  • 5 In medium bowl, mix reserved cookie mix, the oats and nuts. Use pastry blender to cut butter into dry ingredients until it is the size of small peas.
  • 6 In large bowl, toss sliced apples, lemon juice, granulated sugar and cinnamon. Scatter apples on top of partially baked cookie crust, and sprinkle with oat mixture.
  • 7 Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until topping is crisp. Cool completely.
  • 8 Mix Icing ingredients. Drizzle on top of cooled cookie pizza. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Kimber
I used to be indecisive; now I'm not sure.

xmashall2

Cherry Picker

I just did some.  Just cored them and sliced with those hand tools that do that all in one (not the big fancy one).   Used Gala and the skins are thin.  Then just added cinnamon, nutmeg, a touch of sugar, a touch of lemon juice and cooked them til they were soft.  Put in Ball jars and froze half of them and are eating the rest now.

June

Ayla

Cherry Addict

killarney_rose wrote:Oh.....yummy!!  I thought maybe apples off your trees??????

I am jealous....completely jealous!  I haven't had a off the tree apple to eat in 46 years!!  Yay....I was 8 years old and still remember!  You sure you want to move to Texas!?????

I have to find the crust recipe for my mother's pie....it's so easy and never doesn't work!  In other words if your apple pie doesn't work after using this crust it ain't the crust!!!
That would be awesome!
 Image Image

Ayla

Cherry Addict

Gail R wrote:I've tried this one from the Pioneer Woman
2 Granny Smith apples
2 cans crescent rolls
2 sticks of butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 t. vanilla
cinnamon
1 small can of Mountain Dew
Peel and core apples.  Cut apples into 8 slices each.  Roll each apple slice in a crescent roll.  Pace in a 9x13 buttered pan.  Melt butter, then add sugar and barely stir.  Add vanilla, stir and pour over apples,.  Pour Mountain Dew around the edges of the pan.  Sprinkle with cinnamon and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.  Serve with ice cream, and spoon some of the sweet sauce from the pan over the top

Oh That sounds good too.
 Image Image

Flasher

Cherry Crush

Love apples!  I just bake mine . . . chop 'em up, toss them with brown sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice and bake them!
OCD is not an adjective.  It is not a personality quirk. It is not synonymous with being organized.  It is a complex and debilitating mental health illness that affects people of all ages and walks of life, and is defined by the presence of unwanted, intrusive thoughts and repetitive actions. 💙 I am an OCD warrior and I fight for my son. 💙

Return to “General Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee