Handmade cards as a gift?

Moderator: ACOT Employee

need2scrap
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 32

Handmade cards as a gift?

Post by need2scrap »

I wanted to make a set of cards for all the yearly holidays, and give them as Christmas gifts to my sil's and dm and mil... Has anyone ever done this, and how many of each to you include? tia
*** Christi ***
Love to scrap - Need to scrap - Not enough time to scrap!!!

Ayla
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 1078

Re: Handmade cards as a gift?

Post by Ayla »

I've never given holiday cards, but I have made sets of all-occasion cards and given them away. I usually do those in sets of 8 or so. Would love to see what you come up with!
 Image Image
You don't quit playing because you grow old....you grow old because you quit playing.

killarney_rose
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 356

Post by killarney_rose »

I've never made cards at all for gifts!!! Brilliant idea though!!!
1grandma
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 187

Post by 1grandma »

I have not made very many cards at all, but I like this idea! As you develop it, keep us posted!
Bibi
ernstem
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 20

Post by ernstem »

I have friends that have done this....like for CHristmas gifts for teachers, etc. They create 8-10 cards per gift and try to keep them fairly neutral. It's always a big hit, especially if envelopes are included ;)
sherelm
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 743

Post by sherelm »

I'm actually doing this as something little for my sister, seeing as she is the non-crafty person in the family. I bought the "card box" from Close to My Heart because of the nice magnetic closure, and then I'm going to cover it in some pretty papers. I thought I'd put 10-12 cards in (with envelopes!!) and make them "thank you", "birthday" and "sympathy". My sister loves to pick out personal cards for the family and close friends, so I thought these would be more useful for her.
croppinmama
Cherry Cola
Gallery: -2

Post by croppinmama »

I made a bunch of cards for my mom and put them in an altered scrappy album for storage. Whenever there is a holiday or birthday she pulls out a card. She loves it and I always add to her stash. I think it's a great idea for someone who is not crafty but loves handmade cards. In my mom's situation...she is 81 and doesn't always have the money to buy a card.
MamaK321
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 1010

Post by MamaK321 »

I like that idea too, I know I've heard a few people do it before. I think 8-12 cards would be good, especially if you have a cute little box or card organizer to gift them in. :)
Image Image
need2scrap
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 32

Post by need2scrap »

Ayla wrote:I've never given holiday cards, but I have made sets of all-occasion cards and given them away. I usually do those in sets of 8 or so. Would love to see what you come up with!
Yes, the all-occasion cards would be what I want to do. Last year for Christmas I gave my mom a really neat card box and she is one that never buys them so I thought this would be a nice gift for her.

I will have to post some pics, keep in mind I'm new to the card making scene! :-D
*** Christi ***
Love to scrap - Need to scrap - Not enough time to scrap!!!

butterfly843
A Cherry on Top
Gallery: 874

Post by butterfly843 »

I make some each year for a few people on my list ( I try to give a homemade gift with a store bought for just about everyone on my list) and they are always a big hit. I usually make a variety - birthday, anniversary, thank you, etc.
CherryTat
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 492

Post by CherryTat »

I think it's a great idea!!! I am going to do it for my Aunt who lives alone and usually has to get someone to go out and pick up a card for her. I can't see anyone not appreciating it. Can't wait to see what you do!
Image      Image    Image 

My blog...My tattooed paper heart
cynderellaj
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 576

Post by cynderellaj »

I do it all the time and people seem to love it. The number really depends on who is geting the gift. If it is a casual friend/relative, I usually go with 5 all occassion cards. If it is a close friend/family I go with 10 cards. When I sell my cards I charge $3.50/each or 5/$15....so I kind of go with whatever I woudl have spent on them if buying a gift in the store.

eta: if giving 5, I usually do 1 bday, 1 sympathy, 1 thank you, 1 thinking of you and 1 baby. If giving 10, I throw in another bday and thank you and then 3 all occassion/thinking of you cards.
Image Image Image
Cyndi
I NEED SA - Scrappers Anonymous!!!
cort
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 92

Post by cort »

I think that is a wonderful idea! I am thinking about doing some note cards for a friend for her birthday...now i just need to get on it..its right around the corner.
ImageImage
Queen Mum
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 185

Post by Queen Mum »

I make cards out of my scraps. I keep making cards (when I'm on a roll) until I'm tired of doing them.

I also have made a box to put them in (you can use good sturdy boxes that you recover and use Mod Podge on them )

I gave my daughter a box of about 40 cards and she LOVED them. She uses them after a meeting with clients as a thank you.

If you're going to give them as a gift I'd suggest at least a dozen (one a month?) More if you have time.
Queen Mum - Grammy to Princess Bump (Lisa Giann) and Princess Bean (Gia Bella)
scrappininAK
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 1886

Post by scrappininAK »

that's a great idea - can't wait to see what you create
Heather

My Blog Unleashed
My Etsy Store CutMania
CutMania Newsletter Sign Up
lsdopey
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 14

Post by lsdopey »

I too use my scraps to make cards - and it seems like I have A LOT of scraps! So I have a boatload of cards! A couple times a year I have some non-crafty friends that I will give 20 or so cards to each of them. They really seem to enjoy them. I generally make birthday, thinking of you, sympathy, anniversary, get well, etc.
~ Liana

Interested in Scrapbooking Swaps?? Check us out at http://www.iasst.forumotion.net

Most papers are available at ACOT!

Charleneanne
Cherry Delight
Gallery: 1500

Post by Charleneanne »

Yes I have done this. It goes over very well. I make sets of either 10 or 20. This is a thoughtful gift IMHO
AnnOminous
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 211

Post by AnnOminous »

A gift that you are suppose to regift - cool! :-D
sherelm
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 743

Post by sherelm »

May I say one more thing? If you give handmade cards to any elderly person, it's really nice to put in a book of stamps as well, so they don't have to worry about that, too.
kguercio
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 190

Post by kguercio »

I have never done this but have seen others that have. I think it depends on they type of card. If they are seasonal like Birthday and such or if they are just blank note cards. Most sets are usually 8, 10 or 12.
****Kelly****

Return to “General Talk”