Update on Athena

Moderator: ACOT Employee

blbabe1234
Cherry Bark
Gallery: 3709

Update on Athena

Post by blbabe1234 »

I know that some of you have known since Wednesday morning that my 8-month old kitten Athena has been missing and we have not found her nor has she came home. Barb (pawprints) pm'd me, asking me about her, so I figured that some of you might want to know too.

As of tonight, she has not came back home. We have talked to the neighbors and called the vet, and nobody has any information as to her whereabouts. She never ventured outside often, and when she did, she would hang out on the porch. We are all desperately worried about her. In the past year and a half, 14 cats have gone missing. That's just too high of a coincedence. There is a wooded field across from us, and most of my neighbors (including myself and DH) have seen coyotes. When 14 cats go missing, your mind can't help but sometimes wonder to the darkside.

My brother and his wife, since they moved in w/ us two years ago due to their employment/financial situation, have lost all of their 3 kitties: Felix, age 10, November 2010; Sosha, age 5, Feb 2011; and Lola, age 5, May 2011.

What has helped me make it thru these long days is I keep thinking somebody DID find her, and they are giving her a GREAT home! She SOOOO deserves it!! She's too little to be missing. Some of you might remember that back in May, my SIL rescued her from being thrown out of a truck.

I miss her so much and I just hope that she's safe. The worse feeling is not knowing exactly what happened!

I want to thank all of you for your support, positive thoughts, hugs, and prayers these past few days. They all have really helped me during this tough time.
Brandy 🐾 🐾 ❤️

ImageImage   ImageImageImage
love2stamp
Cherry Cropper
Gallery: 1035

Re: Update on Athena

Post by love2stamp »

I was so hoping that with the title of this thread that you had found her. :( Sorry that hasn't happened. Still thinking of you and her, hope she finds her way home soon. I have a friend that her dog was missing for two weeks, she pulled out of her drive way one morning and there he was trotting down the road. Hoping you wake up one morning soon and find her sitting on your porch.
ImageImageImageImage
Ayla
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 1078

Post by Ayla »

My niece and her husband had their dog go missing too.... and she found her way back home after 2 weeks. Here's hoping Athena makes it home safely, and maybe she won't want to go outside anymore! That's why my cats are indoor cats...I worry too much when they go outside.
 Image Image
You don't quit playing because you grow old....you grow old because you quit playing.

pawprints
A Cherry on Top
Gallery: 1052

Post by pawprints »

Brandy you know how much my heart is aching for Athena and for you. I hope so much that she is okay and comes home to you.

Image Image Image

3 Pals
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 49

Post by 3 Pals »

I know we can imagine the worst...but...I drive several miles to work and have seen posters for LOST as well as FOUND kitties...one in particular that looks so sweet but...if I did not drive this route regularly I would not know... I think she is being cared for even if her natural owners have not found her. The picture the new family posted is so cute she/he clearly is having fun, missing her Mom perhaps but being cared for nonetheless. I have faith your kitty is well cared for.
ImageImage Image
Ann
JulesinParadise
Tiki Bar Mgr
Gallery: 349

Post by JulesinParadise »

Oh no...I had hoped for better news when I opened this thread. We had a beloved cat go missing during a party once and while we never did find him, despite using a cat catcher, we chose to believe someone took him in and gave him a good home. Call me Pollyanna but I do believe this to be true. Hugs to you from one who knows how sad this can be.
Image WAS a TIKI BAR GIRL AND ALWAYS WILL BE
craftyk
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 38

Post by craftyk »

I'm so sorry to hear that Brandy. I still hope that she comes home to her family. It is definately possible that someone took her in and is caring for her. 8 years ago my cat was a stray hanging out on my front porch for a week straight, so we took her in and gave her a home.
scrapy1967
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 1487

Post by scrapy1967 »

I hope you find her soon! Keep thinking positive thoughts!
ImageImage 

aceason
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 723

Post by aceason »

So sorry, it's awful not knowing! We've had six cats and all have gone missing, pretty much because in the canyon behind our house lives a pack of coyotes. They are bold and come right up to our fence...crazy since we live in the suburbs! When my daughter was little we used to tell her the cats went to play with coyotes. Then last year someone stole our dog by breaking out our fence slats. We've been hanging off on getting another pet because of all of these losses and my DD is such an animal lover, she asks for a new pet almost every day. It's just so hard once you get attached to have a pet go missing. Hope you kitty turns up!
mgehrke
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 2212

Post by mgehrke »

Brandy I am so sorry that Athena has not come home yet. Keep your chin up and hope that she will still find her way back home (((HUGS))). I too was hoping for a happier post when I saw the title.
Mildred - Mom to 2 girls and a husband (I tell people that I am a single mom of 3. Ages 59, 37 and 31) lol. And a proud Grandma to Orahn (7) Sawyer (5) and Mazie (3).

ImageImageImageImageImage
blbabe1234
Cherry Bark

Post by blbabe1234 »

love2stamp wrote:I was so hoping that with the title of this thread that you had found her. :( Sorry that hasn't happened. Still thinking of you and her, hope she finds her way home soon. I have a friend that her dog was missing for two weeks, she pulled out of her drive way one morning and there he was trotting down the road. Hoping you wake up one morning soon and find her sitting on your porch.

That is how I imagine waking up every morning. Every little sound I hear, rustling of leaves in the bushes, a cat's meow, whatever it is I hear, I ALWAYS think its her!
Brandy 🐾 🐾 ❤️

blbabe1234
Cherry Bark

Post by blbabe1234 »

Ayla wrote:My niece and her husband had their dog go missing too.... and she found her way back home after 2 weeks. Here's hoping Athena makes it home safely, and maybe she won't want to go outside anymore! That's why my cats are indoor cats...I worry too much when they go outside.

I didn't want her going outside either. But we have a doggie door for my 3 dogs and my brother's 3 dogs. We tried keeping it closed, but it was a CHORE trying to take the dogs out all at the same time everytime they wanted to go out. I never got anything done. Eventually she figured it out. But we never thought she would venture past the porch.
Brandy 🐾 🐾 ❤️

blbabe1234
Cherry Bark

Post by blbabe1234 »

3 Pals wrote:I know we can imagine the worst...but...I drive several miles to work and have seen posters for LOST as well as FOUND kitties...one in particular that looks so sweet but...if I did not drive this route regularly I would not know... I think she is being cared for even if her natural owners have not found her. The picture the new family posted is so cute she/he clearly is having fun, missing her Mom perhaps but being cared for nonetheless. I have faith your kitty is well cared for.

Thank you. This is what I keep thinking too. This same thought is what keeps me going day to day, as well as DH, my brother and his wife.
Brandy 🐾 🐾 ❤️

blbabe1234
Cherry Bark

Post by blbabe1234 »

JulesinParadise wrote:Oh no...I had hoped for better news when I opened this thread. We had a beloved cat go missing during a party once and while we never did find him, despite using a cat catcher, we chose to believe someone took him in and gave him a good home. Call me Pollyanna but I do believe this to be true. Hugs to you from one who knows how sad this can be.

Thank you Jules. {{{HUGS}}}
Brandy 🐾 🐾 ❤️

blbabe1234
Cherry Bark

Post by blbabe1234 »

craftyk wrote:I'm so sorry to hear that Brandy. I still hope that she comes home to her family. It is definately possible that someone took her in and is caring for her. 8 years ago my cat was a stray hanging out on my front porch for a week straight, so we took her in and gave her a home.

That's what Felix was - a stray. My brother found him on their front porch. He took him in and then 3 years later, they moved in with us. He was a very good kitty.
Brandy 🐾 🐾 ❤️

blbabe1234
Cherry Bark

Post by blbabe1234 »

scrapy1967 wrote:I hope you find her soon! Keep thinking positive thoughts!

Thank you Janet!!
Brandy 🐾 🐾 ❤️

Gail R
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 76

Post by Gail R »

When I saw the post, I also thought, hooray, she came home! So sorry that wasn't what happened. We don't have to worry about coyotes, but around here eagles are known to carry away small pets. We have a white cat, so when she was little, we tried to keep her in the house as much as possible. In fact, the first year we had her, she didn't go outside at all and tried to keep it that way. As soon as she got a taste of being outside, there was no keeping her in.
Gail
blbabe1234
Cherry Bark

Post by blbabe1234 »

aceason wrote:So sorry, it's awful not knowing! We've had six cats and all have gone missing, pretty much because in the canyon behind our house lives a pack of coyotes. They are bold and come right up to our fence...crazy since we live in the suburbs! When my daughter was little we used to tell her the cats went to play with coyotes. Then last year someone stole our dog by breaking out our fence slats. We've been hanging off on getting another pet because of all of these losses and my DD is such an animal lover, she asks for a new pet almost every day. It's just so hard once you get attached to have a pet go missing. Hope you kitty turns up!

Sorry to hear that!!! But yes, we are all a little weary of getting new kitties. I've lived in this house for 20 years, and we have never had this problem until just recently. All of the cats I"ve grown up with lived to be old - like 17, 18, 19, and 20 years old! My neighbor to the left of us has lost 7.
Brandy 🐾 🐾 ❤️

blbabe1234
Cherry Bark

Post by blbabe1234 »

mgehrke wrote:Brandy I am so sorry that Athena has not come home yet. Keep your chin up and hope that she will still find her way back home (((HUGS))). I too was hoping for a happier post when I saw the title.

Thank you Mildred! I have been hoping to post a thread titled "Athena is HOME and SAFE". {{{HUGS}}} back to you. I know how much you miss your Shyloh.
Brandy 🐾 🐾 ❤️

blbabe1234
Cherry Bark

Post by blbabe1234 »

Gail R wrote:When I saw the post, I also thought, hooray, she came home! So sorry that wasn't what happened. We don't have to worry about coyotes, but around here eagles are known to carry away small pets. We have a white cat, so when she was little, we tried to keep her in the house as much as possible. In fact, the first year we had her, she didn't go outside at all and tried to keep it that way. As soon as she got a taste of being outside, there was no keeping her in.

This is so true about Athena. Once she figured out how to use that doggie door, forget it. Unless it was raining, thundering, super windy and/or super cold, she would just sit on the porch. I'm sure she probably hung out elsewhere, but I never saw her elsewhere.
Brandy 🐾 🐾 ❤️

Return to “General Talk”