feeling sad

Moderator: ACOT Employee

oceanbreezes423
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 2146

feeling sad

Post by oceanbreezes423 »

I don't usually come on here to voice personal things, but I am really down tonight, hoping some cherries can help cheer me up, My youngest son is in the military, has been for 8 years now. He has been stationed away from home for 5 of those 8. This is hard for a mother, as I am sure some of you know! Now, just within the last hour, I watched on flight tracker as he, his wife, and our little grand daughter head overseas for the next 4 years. I am not sure why this has hit me especially hard this time, perhaps with holidays coming, I don't know. I just know the tears are flowing, and I can not seem to stop them. Scrapping is not an option right now, can not focus. I guess I just needed to express my heavy heart to someone other then DH, as he knows there is nothing he can do. His hugs were nice, but I guess its a mom thing??? Thanks for listening to me!
ImageSusan  Image   Image  Image
1grandma
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 187

Re: feeling sad

Post by 1grandma »

Oh, I can so relate! I also had a military son who lived too far for easy visiting. It was sooooo hard on the heart. I think that your son's move overseas has hit you hard because now you can not just up and go see him/them. He is MORE unaccessable to you. You will just have to work harder to keep open lines of communciation to work on your relationship with him. Those dang tears are flowing now because I know just how you feel. Try to stay positive and know that if you ever want to talk about it, you can PM me and we can arrange something. In the meantime, know that I am with you in spirit.
Bibi
milmomma
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 67

Post by milmomma »

I have to say as a family overseas currently, we always love it when family comes visits for a bit. Maybe you could start saving/planning for a vacation/trip to see them. I came over in Sept, right before the holidays and remember that. Ask for lots of pictures and download skype if you haven't already. I take pictures often and post them on FB for my mom and his back home. We also skype often with family. And I call home several times a week. There is a 14 hour time difference though, so try not to call without checking the time please. I know that its not something many think about. Getting called at 2am when the hubby has to be to work in a couple hours is never fun.
I'm dearly sorry that you feel all this sadness. I know its not fun to be left behind, I've been there. Not sure where they are going but there is the Patriot Express that can help with hops back home too. :) 4 years seems like a long time, but it too shall pass. I can't believe I've been here 2 years already. We are now on our count down till our next move. I know personally, I counted down to the half way point, then to 1 year left, and 6 months... next will be 90 days. :) Oh and crying is sometimes nessacary. We have to let it out. But we are all here for you.
LyndaKay
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 40

Post by LyndaKay »

My heart goes out to the moms and dads of our servicemen, for they are sacrificing, too. This can't be easy and you have every right to feel sad. I hope that you can connect with them through Skype or some type of real time viewing on your computer. That will keep you close. Hugs to you and your DH. God bless your son.

Lynda
TraciL
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 238

Post by TraciL »

I was going to suggest the same things - maybe start planing and saving for a trip. and my mom loves to skype my Army nephew - more than they like!

Maybe you are taking it a little more to heart because of the grandchild?

How about stopping in a craft store or magazines to inspire you to make a 'new' craft project that you could send over there. Like something for the grandchild for the holidays.

A little frame tree with pics of your family - Like a family tree frame

Or do some baking and send it over?

I hope you feel better soon.....I know how rough it is to be away from family. I personally think the holidays are worse too, especially when you are surrounded by happiness and you just aren't feeling it.
milmomma
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 67

Post by milmomma »

oh yes, that reminds me, not sure where they are going, but we don't have access to everything American. So maybe ask them if there is something they may like for Christmas. We miss our sauces/spices from home. My MIL sends us cases each christmas :)
scrapscot
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 865

Post by scrapscot »

My son is not in the military but when they moved to NC in 2008 it just about killed me! We got the grandkids in 2005 for a couple weeks and then in 2008, they all came home for Christmas. Now they have a new baby, I haven't even seen yet. So in a way, I can relate. It's so hard when your kids are spread all over the country or world!
Image Charlene
Northern Brat
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 253

Post by Northern Brat »

(((HUGS))) I can't say that I know how it feels, cos I don't....but I live 8 hours away from my mom...and I miss her lots...especially since I have kids...I wish she was around more often. The girls have given you great advise. Save your pennies for a trip....if you can stay for awhile...plan to.
Leslie
2012: Goal - 75 layouts 4 mini albums 20 cards --------> Progress - layouts mini album - cards
J - /6
ImageImage
writerlady
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 448

Post by writerlady »

(((hugs))) from one sad mom to another. My situation is different, but the result is the same. Sometimes it stinks getting older eh? It was so lovely when the kids were young. I miss those days. Just wanted you to know that you are not the only mom in that situation. (((more hugs))).
Please stop by my blog,Writerlady's Craftroom

Latte_Memories
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 4

Post by Latte_Memories »

I grew up a military brat and then I was a military wife. Been through it all. It was tough being away from family for months to years at a time. Back then we talked to family twice a week (I would call once and my parents/grandparents would get together and call). We sent letters and we would send care packages. These are made up of the things from home that we missed and wasn't able to find where we were. I think families have more advantages today of keeping in contact with family than I did back then. Like the ladies said.....there is skype which is a great tool to use to see and talk to family members, not to mention it's inexpensive. I used to write a daily note to my mom/husband, I would tell them things the kids did and general things that happened. Then I would mail it off at the end of the week. This way there was always a letter coming in about every week. I sent lots of pics too because we didn't have the internet like we do now. Someone mentioned taking a trip over to where they are. Plan a trip once a year to go see them or have them fly home if you son can get the leave time. It's really not that expensive to fly if you keep watching the flights and nab them when you see them low. Sign up for Travelzoo and they send weekly emails for discounted flights. Right now your heart is breaking because the 4 years seem so far away. I've been there and know how that feels. I'm sorry that your going through this. It will get easier. So start writing your daily journal to them and gather from things from home, favorite chips, or candy or homemade cookies and get them ready to send when you get their address. They will appreciate and you'll feel better too. (((Hugs))) to you!
~Brenda~
No matter how dark the moment,
Love and hope are always possible.
Cherry Bing

Post by »

hugs.. I know far too well how hard it is to have your family overseas.. My first born Amber moved to Germany when her hubby had stationed there. It felt too soon. She moved out right after H.S. and started her life with him, then had a baby, After zachary was 6 months old she moved to Germany for the next few years.. I missed out on my grandsons firsts.. that hurt so much.. then not long after her hubby Joey got sent to Iraq. My baby girl was in Germany all by herself raising a baby in a foreign country at age 19...

I hope your able to skype or something so it doesnt seem so far away.

Sending you restful thoughts and lots of hugs.
Retiree3
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 5461

Post by Retiree3 »

I am so sorry . As a mother and grandmother my heart goes out to you. I can only imagine how much you miss them all. The only thing that I can think of that might comfort you is that your son will not be alone. He will have his family with him. Something you might do is write in a journal each day about them. This might help you feel better. Whenever they return you could give them this as a gift. I would love to have memories from my mother. I will keep all of you in my prayers.
[
Donna-Retiree3-Proud Grandmother of Three Boys!

[highlight=#000000][/highlight]

Janshotgun
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 88

Post by Janshotgun »

My daughter moved from Michigan to California 10 years ago and it was very hard. Then she had twins (now 6 years old - a boy AND GIRL) and it is very tough not to be in their lives more frequently. We have made a point to fly there at least 3 times a year which helps.

When they were younger, I always was afraid that they wouldn't remember me but they did. We had little picture albums made up with all the family members in it that they could look at.

But I love that we're all on facebook - she and her husband may post a cute thing one of the kids just said, they post pics from their phones that they can send immediately. It's easy to keep up to date with their lives that way. Skype is great for those face to face conversations. I got to have the twins for 2 weeks last year at summertime and I made albums for each one of them from shutterfly so they could remember everything they did wtih Grandma and Grandpa and the rest of their family.

It's a tough thing to bear but I hope you can find ways to get through it.
Jan - trying to find my way

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
scrapaholic
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 5

Post by scrapaholic »

That is so hard, God bless him for serving. I suggest start gathering things to send to them for the first care package and start some letters. Hang in there and I pray the time goes fast for you.
Have a coke and a smile!Image
beachlover
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 1748

Post by beachlover »

it definitely is something between a mom and her boy, and yes no matter how old he is or how far away he is... whether he starts his own family, he will always be your little boy... and we all understand that here, we love you and our thoughts are with you, we are here to listen when you need to chat and here to lend you great big ((((((HUGS))))) --- and my thoughts and prayers will be with your family that they remain safe!!!
Ann ~ Life is always better at the beach!
 view my blog (new) https://ourhideawayparadise.blogspot.com/ 

AmyTeets
Digital Designers
Gallery: 368

Post by AmyTeets »

Awe I'm sorry. Luckily for us we've always been stationed state side. Do you both have access to Skype? I know it's not the same but it'll help ;)
Amy Teets Designs

My Blog
Facebook
Semper Fi

Snag Me!
4peasinourpod
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 816

Post by 4peasinourpod »

milmomma wrote:I have to say as a family overseas currently, we always love it when family comes visits for a bit. Maybe you could start saving/planning for a vacation/trip to see them. I came over in Sept, right before the holidays and remember that. Ask for lots of pictures and download skype if you haven't already. I take pictures often and post them on FB for my mom and his back home. We also skype often with family. And I call home several times a week. There is a 14 hour time difference though, so try not to call without checking the time please. I know that its not something many think about. Getting called at 2am when the hubby has to be to work in a couple hours is never fun.
I'm dearly sorry that you feel all this sadness. I know its not fun to be left behind, I've been there. Not sure where they are going but there is the Patriot Express that can help with hops back home too. :) 4 years seems like a long time, but it too shall pass. I can't believe I've been here 2 years already. We are now on our count down till our next move. I know personally, I counted down to the half way point, then to 1 year left, and 6 months... next will be 90 days. :) Oh and crying is sometimes nessacary. We have to let it out. But we are all here for you.
i am trying to get Brittney home. But I am selfish that way :)

hugs. hugs. I can't imagine what you must be feeling.
~pam~
Firegems
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 15

Post by Firegems »

I can only imagine what you are going thru but my heart goes out to you. I think us moms take things a lot harder then dads do. You have every right to cry and feel the way you do. We are always here for you to talk to.
HUGGS
Firegems

Return to “General Talk”