Get FREE shipping with your $35 order with code FREESHIP35

gncntry96

Cherry Blossom

Montessori Schools?
Does anyone here have any experience with Montessori Schools? I'm going back to work and am looking at a Montessori School for preschool for my son. He's 3 1/2. I need to move him from the current school because it's just too far from my job. The Montessori School is more expensive, but seems to be more focused on allowing the kids to learn what is relevant to them at their own pace. The other schools I've looked at are more traditional, but my son is ahead of the kids in what would be his class (they are working on letter and number recognition, and he already knows that) so I wonder how they will keep him challenged.

Any input?
Rachel

Image Image

deerewife

Cherry Jubilee

Re: Montessori Schools?
Heidi (Wahoo_mom)'s kids both go to Montessori so she could probably give you good info.
Image Image Image Image

Jenna - Mom to Emily (2/02) & Kaitlyn (2/04)

ncokely

Cherry Cola

I taught at a Montessori Preschool a loooong time ago. It is very good in some areas, like working on the individual pace of the child, but it is a little overboard in others---there are 36 steps taught to preschoolers to wash the dishes.
[img]file:///C:/Users/jscokely/Documents/design%20team%20banner.png[/img]~Nancy~
Scrapbooking began in the Bible Ps. 78:3-4
Personal best-31 LO's completed 6/2010
Image Image ImageImage

Jenn Kellams

Cherry Garcia

Montessori Schools are wonderful in my opinion! I am a public school teacher as well as my husband and we plan to enroll our children in Montessori. They are especially good for children who are ahead of their age group. It is very independent and encourages higher learning because the child works at his own pace. He doesn't have to wait for another child to catch up before he can move on. It is also like a community. It teaches, in my opinion, great skills and community learning. It gives much freedom but within limits and boundaries.
Jennifer K.
Personal Blog

Judy19

Sweet Cherry Pie

Our younger daughter attended Montessori schools starting when she was 2 1/2 up to about 10 years. I have only excellent things to say about it - but could not say them as well as Jennifer K. just did in her comment.

LyndaKay

Cherry Jubilee

My 3 sons attended a MOntessori school from 2 1/2 yrs old through full day K-garten. I thought it was worth every penny. They are great problem solvers, perhaps from the project-based curriculum's planning/brainstorming sessions. They are creative, which I attribute to the open-ended toys they were given - blocks, cartons, stones, shells, etc. and encouraged to make something. In my next life, I will be a Montessori teacher and have a dozen children of my own.

Lynda

Return to “General Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee