What is going on with Michael's

Moderator: ACOT Employee

kittymomma
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 341

What is going on with Michael's

Post by kittymomma »

Each time I go in there they are carrying less by namebrands and more "Recollections"---which is their brand. They even make the packaging look similar--like the flowers I picked up thinking they were Prima--but were Recollections. PLUS, their brand is even a dollar more! Now I see they have ventured into making the punches...

I noticed this also happening at HL--I went to one and they began to slowly switch over to a company branded by them.
Ayla
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 1078

Re: What is going on with Michael's

Post by Ayla »

kittymomma wrote:Each time I go in there they are carrying less by namebrands and more "Recollections"---which is their brand. They even make the packaging look similar--like the flowers I picked up thinking they were Prima--but were Recollections. PLUS, their brand is even a dollar more! Now I see they have ventured into making the punches...

I noticed this also happening at HL--I went to one and they began to slowly switch over to a company branded by them.
HL has carried their own brand for a long time. I rarely go into Michael's anymore...I don't care for their stuff or how they arrange the store. Their stuff always seems a year behind, too. I was last in there a couple of months ago..didn't notice them having their own brand.
 Image Image
You don't quit playing because you grow old....you grow old because you quit playing.

MamaK321
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 1010

Post by MamaK321 »

that's too bad but I believe it. I too am not fond of how the store is set up.
Image Image
scraptag
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 567

Post by scraptag »

I noticed that too. They have their own "recollections" pattern paper, and I won't go near it. I'm sure they won't stop selling all name brand, but I'm sure they make more money selling their own brand. it cuts out the middle man.
Charleneanne
Cherry Delight
Gallery: 1500

Post by Charleneanne »

they probably make more money on their own brand and with the economy the way it is, that may be the motivating factor.
jannyf
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 148

Post by jannyf »

The only time I go into M's is to take my coupon and buy some adhesive! Once in a while I find a deal on a Cricut cart, but I have always seemed to buy more online. I also feel they don't switch their inventory up at all. It's the same old thing all the time. And, they have one aisle with nothing but stickers!
- Jan

akba15
Cherry Berry
Gallery: 12

Post by akba15 »

It is the same here too - and I don't care for their brand. I don't know why I every run in there once in a while - I have a hard time finding anything to use my 40% off coupon on.
JDs Mom
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 424

Post by JDs Mom »

It seems to be a trend--you can hardly buy anything at Wal-Mart nowadays that isn't their own white-labeled "Great Value" brand as well.
Carol

ACOT May 2010 Digi Guest CT

formerly CT for Merkeley Designs, Sus Designs and E-scape and Scrap...

Grandma Flowers
Cherry Cropper
Gallery: 5

Post by Grandma Flowers »

I've noticed that, too, but I can always find something to buy with my coupons even if it's just ribbon or buttons.
Image Image Image Image

---Jan---
Kimandasmo
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 829

Post by Kimandasmo »

I am not fond of them in the first place...and I agree that their packaging is almost identical.
LyndaKay
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 40

Post by LyndaKay »

akba15 wrote:It is the same here too - and I don't care for their brand. I don't know why I every run in there once in a while - I have a hard time finding anything to use my 40% off coupon on.

I won't go unless I have a coupon and then it's only for adhesive or Thickers.

Lynda
-Tracy-
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 439

Post by -Tracy- »

LyndaKay wrote:
akba15 wrote:It is the same here too - and I don't care for their brand. I don't know why I every run in there once in a while - I have a hard time finding anything to use my 40% off coupon on.

I won't go unless I have a coupon and then it's only for adhesive or Thickers.

Wow! Your M's has thickers? I wish mine did. I never go there anymore-they suck.
On a molecular level, I'm very busy.
scrapaholic
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 5

Post by scrapaholic »

I have noticed the same, and find myself going there less and less.
Have a coke and a smile!Image
beachlover
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 1749

Post by beachlover »

IDK, but I have bought a few Recollections bling and even other embellies here and there... no, they are not as good as Prima, but decent enouh and you can't beat the price!
Ann ~ Life is always better at the beach!
 view my blog (new) https://ourhideawayparadise.blogspot.com/ 

scrappie_stacie
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 184

Post by scrappie_stacie »

jannyf wrote:The only time I go into M's is to take my coupon and buy some adhesive! Once in a while I find a deal on a Cricut cart, but I have always seemed to buy more online. I also feel they don't switch their inventory up at all. It's the same old thing all the time. And, they have one aisle with nothing but stickers!

That's what I do. I typically use my 40% coupons for the xyron refill cartridges.

---------------------------------------------------------
aceason
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 723

Post by aceason »

We have four M's in a 20 mile radius and each is different. One has a lot of the Recollection stuff, the paper sucks but the flowers and brads are nice. Another has a huge 2 aisle Cricut experience with big displays and lots of carts. The part I like is they each get different name brand line sometimes MME, sometimes Basic Grey, MM, or K&Co and they change them out pretty quickly. They have Thickers and the ATG refills too now. I think it totally depends on the store.
Janell
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 588

Post by Janell »

kittymomma wrote:Each time I go in there they are carrying less by namebrands and more "Recollections"---which is their brand. They even make the packaging look similar--like the flowers I picked up thinking they were Prima--but were Recollections. PLUS, their brand is even a dollar more! Now I see they have ventured into making the punches...

I believe it is there way to cut corners so to speak. A lot of designers are cutting out the middle man. For example, my sister-in law Jen Allyson designs for MME, but she also does contracting one the side for Michaels and Hobby Lobby. So it's a win win for both, she gets paid more through Michaels and then Michaels owns the designs and doesn't have to purchase through MME, but the down side is that she doesn't get name recognition like you would at MME

What I don't like about this, is that sometimes Mikes and HL don't have the same quality as MME and other companies like Prima do.
-If it's scrappy it makes me happy!
Ashjoy
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 151

Post by Ashjoy »

I picked up some recollections as well thinking they were prima. Gotta pay better attention I guess....
Joyce 

scraptag
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 567

Post by scraptag »

janello wrote:

I believe it is there way to cut corners so to speak. A lot of designers are cutting out the middle man. For example, my sister-in law Jen Allyson designs for MME, but she also does contracting one the side for Michaels and Hobby Lobby. So it's a win win for both, she gets paid more through Michaels and then Michaels owns the designs and doesn't have to purchase through MME, but the down side is that she doesn't get name recognition like you would at MME

What I don't like about this, is that sometimes Mikes and HL don't have the same quality as MME and other companies like Prima do.

wow! i did not know that. I think that would be a tough decision to make if I were a designer. And how do you make your designs different enough if you have a unique style, so that someone doesn't claim that you already did that design for them. It could get messy.
RitaS
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 299

Post by RitaS »

Have not been there in ages...when I do it is with coupon in hand and I come out with glue dots, unless there is a border punch that is new and must have - but usually I don't see much new and have plenty of border punches at home.

I will say one thing about the Recollections brand...I bought a pearl flourish, or perhaps it was gem, when I first saw that brand to try it out (all 50 percent off so I did not spend much) - when I went to pull it up off the backing to place on my project gems/pearls popped off. Junk. never again.
Rita S

Life is about second chances. There would be no hope if God didn't give us another.

Return to “General Talk”