Get FREE shipping with your $35 order with code FREESHIP35

4peasinourpod

Wild Cherry

Need graduation gift advice
My BFFs daughter (and a dear friend of mine) is graduating from high school next month. I want to make her an advice scrapbook. (Well, actually I am making 4 of them...for her and her 3 friends that I have gotten quite close to as well).

Can you think of any advice that would be good to include??

TIA!
~pam~

jodcold

Cherry Garcia

Re: Need graduation gift advice
Here are some quotes I found that I like.

I hope your dreams take you... to the corners of your smiles, to the highest of your hopes, to the windows of your opportunities, and to the most special places your heart has ever known.

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.Image Henry David Thoreau

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.Image Winston Churchill

All our dreams can come true...if we have the courage to pursue them.Image Walt Disney

If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it.Image William Arthur Ward

Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.Image Nelson Mandela

Time is not measured by the passing of years but by what one does, what one feels, and what one achieves.Image Jawaharlal Nehru

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.Image Milton Berle

Keep in mind that neither success nor failure is ever final.Image Roger Babson

All successful people men and women are big dreamers. They imagine what their future could be, ideal in every respect, and then they work every day toward their distant vision, that goal or purpose.Image Brian Tracy

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars. ~Les BrownTwenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ~Attributed to Mark Twain, unconfirmedWherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine. ~Anthony J. D'Angelo, The College Blue Book

Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else. ~Judy Garland
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

Jody H. (jodcold)

Image Image Image

LyndaKay

Cherry Jubilee

"Don't forget to call your parents.....they will miss you."

Lynda

killarney_rose

Chocolate Covered Cherry

A Good Man always holds the door (including a car), pulls out the chair to help seat her, treats her with respect and concern, never leaves her unattended, helps her with her coat and hat when putting it on or taking it off.

Then tell her: Proper ladies always allow chivalrous behavior. If you have to teach him or tell him to do these acts of respect and kindness he is not worth keeping around.

Of course you can add to it!

Ladies.....are you teaching your son(s) how to treat a proper lady?

Flasher

Cherry Crush

I think your gift is a great idea. I always loved getting "advice" gifts. These were some of the comments written in my graduation basket (these are not mine, and if they are quotes, I have no idea who to give the credit to)!

Go easy on yourself. Some days, you're the only one who will.

When the going gets tough, be sure to remember that someone else, somewhere in the world is fighting a harder battle.

Respect your elders, respect different cultures and respect different opinions, even those that differ from your own.

Learn how to manage your money responsibly. Regardless of your chosen career, your future wealth, security and retirement are in your own hands.

And one of my absolute favorites of all time . . . "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and stronger than you think." (Winnie the Pooh)
OCD is not an adjective.  It is not a personality quirk. It is not synonymous with being organized.  It is a complex and debilitating mental health illness that affects people of all ages and walks of life, and is defined by the presence of unwanted, intrusive thoughts and repetitive actions. 💙 I am an OCD warrior and I fight for my son. 💙

lilkoala3

Bowl Full of Cherries

Get on the pill and make sure he wears a condom.
Leslie

koala1966

Cherry Delight

Advice from Tania? Are you sure? :bluewinkb: Just so you know, my nieces and nephews are not always thrilled by my advice. But it works. :bluelol:

Say "Nobody Panic. Everything is going to be OK." when something goes wrong and at least half the time you'll be able to fix it.

You can only control yourself. So control yourself. Don't let anybody else do it for you.

You can always go home. And you should, at least once in a while.

Follow your heart but don't forget to take your head along for the ride. They make a good pair.

Never let them see you sweat.

Just because you can't do something now doesn't mean you can't do it. Go ahead, try.

Practice makes perfect. But remember, the definition of insane is to continually something the same way over and over, even though it fails every time.

We all have choices to make. We have to own the consequences of those choices, sometimes for life. Choose wisely and accept responsibility for your actions. You'll find, in the end, you're a happier person for it.

When all else fails and you have nowhere left to go but up, suck it up and climb.

3 Pals

Cherry Bomb

lilkoala3 wrote:Get on the pill and make sure he wears a condom.

Very good advice but many parents don't want to go there
ImageImage Image
Ann

AlwaysHappy

Cherry Cola

My Mama told me...... "If something is worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time". I have lived my whole life with that in mind.
Image ImageImage

deerewife

Cherry Jubilee

Go to class! Even if others don't

I like Leslie's advice. Also avoid parties with booze and drugs - no matter how much fun it may be, it can ruin your college experience.
Image Image Image Image

Jenna - Mom to Emily (2/02) & Kaitlyn (2/04)

amberella

Cherry Bomb

"Because everyone else does it!" isn't a valid reason to do ANYTHING.
College isn't going to be as easy as high school, get ready to work.
You're going to be a freshman again, drop the senior attitude!
Don't stress out too much about gaining a little extra weight, the extra long walk to class is your friend.
Pizza isn't a food group, neither is alcohol.

Okay... some of them could be put a little nicer... but they're true!
AmberImageImage
ImageImage

Shadywolfe

Cherry Blossom

I like this and Amber's advice too.

Also, I think hearing that from a parent is a good thing. No matter how awkward it may be for the parent I think kids need to hear it. I also think they should hear it long before they reach college level.

Anyway, I always say, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should." I try to think of that everytime I start to say or do something stupid. It's my own personal moto.

hlg1rose

Cherry Berry

My own daughter once told me she thought "what would my mother think if I did this".
[img:dgoiopbi]http://www.acherryontop.com/i/thumbnail ... picker.gif[/img:dgoiopbi]

heleneNY http://emptynestscraproom.blogspot.com/[/url:dgoiopbi]

"The skin I'm in is alright with me, it's not old, just older" ` JBJ

[img:dgoiopbi]http://www.acherryontop.com/i/gallery2/211014-490.gif[/img:dgoiopbi]

Beth-W

Featured Guest Coordinator

You could get quotes from their parents, friends, teachers, etc. instead/in addition to premade ones. I think it would make the book more personal. :winkb:
~Beth
"Make it bigger, make it badder, make it awesome" -Duff Goldman
"They need a hero to tell them that sometimes the impossible can become possible, if you're AWESOME!" -Rhino

http://latteonthebrain.blogspot.com/

ImageImage

Beth-W

OMG.......LMAO! I love you, Leslie! You always make me laugh. :inlove:
~Beth
"They need a hero to tell them that sometimes the impossible can become possible, if you're AWESOME!" -Rhino

ImageImage

Beth-W

amberella wrote:"Because everyone else does it!" isn't a valid reason to do ANYTHING.
College isn't going to be as easy as high school, get ready to work.
You're going to be a freshman again, drop the senior attitude!
Don't stress out too much about gaining a little extra weight, the extra long walk to class is your friend.
Pizza isn't a food group, neither is alcohol.

Okay... some of them could be put a little nicer... but they're true!

LMAO...True.
~Beth

ImageImage

jodcold

Cherry Garcia

killarney_rose wrote:A Good Man always holds the door (including a car), pulls out the chair to help seat her, treats her with respect and concern, never leaves her unattended, helps her with her coat and hat when putting it on or taking it off.

Then tell her: Proper ladies always allow chivalrous behavior. If you have to teach him or tell him to do these acts of respect and kindness he is not worth keeping around.

Guess I must not be living right.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

Jody H. (jodcold)

Image Image Image

amberella

Cherry Bomb

killarney_rose wrote:A Good Man always holds the door (including a car), pulls out the chair to help seat her, treats her with respect and concern, never leaves her unattended, helps her with her coat and hat when putting it on or taking it off.

This is great advice too!!! Personally, I am shocked when a guy actually opens the door and holds it for me... I think the 21st century has become an excuse for not being chivalrous anymore... in fact, even just being *nice* anymore (and this goes for both men AND women...)

Also, I think it'd be important to remind her that she's going to college for an education, not a relationship. So many girls worry that they don't have a boyfriend, but seriously, it's not that important - in fact, it can be a big pain.

AND: Never let someone pressure you into something you don't feel right about. You always have the right to say NO.
AmberImageImage
ImageImage

AmyTeets

Digital Designers

Bawahahaha!
Amy Teets Designs

My Blog
Facebook
Semper Fi

Snag Me!

joeybrat2

Cherry Blossom

My husband made me a "box of patients" for Christmas one year, I think quotes on patients would be great to include
×÷·.·´¯`·)»Joey«(·´¯`·.·÷×

Return to “General Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee