Get FREE shipping with your $35 order with code FREESHIP35

RitaS

Cherry Bing

DH Not Happy - Taking the Kids and moving out
...for the night.

The bathroom remodel project ran into a snafu for DH -as I predicted, but I did not say "I told you so". As my friend said, "don't need to say it, he already knows it".

The entire sub-flooring is water damaged and has to come out. This is obviously no longer a "get it done in one day" project. We have no plumbing or running water...so obviously we cannot spend the rest of our Friday at home.

Wonder if the kids took my advice to heart, when I told them this morning, "be sure to use the bathroom at school before coming home today."

At any rate, our wonderful neighbors and friends are allowing us to move in and use their place as our hotel. They always head to their lake house on weekends. I think the flat screen in the finished basement is 60" - Prince Caspian or Lord of the Rings will be awesome on that. They also have cable - so Abby will no doubt enjoy Disney, etc. on the upstairs television, which is a new flat screen as well - 36 or 40"?. I do hope they remember to write down their wireless PW or I might go a bit stir crazy not having internet access tonight, but could live through it.

Fortunate to have good friends such as they, and yes, feeling a little sorry for DH that the PROJECT has become a whole lot more work and time consuming.
Rita S

Life is about second chances. There would be no hope if God didn't give us another.

scrappie_stacie

Cherry Bomb

Re: DH Not Happy - Taking the Kids and moving out
Sorry to hear he's having some problems with his remodel. I think that happens alot though. Something that seems like it should be so easy always turns into a major project!

---------------------------------------------------------

scrappininAK

Cherry Jubilee

oh no - house projects have a habit of growing into monster headaches - hope he can get it sorted
Heather

My Blog Unleashed
My Etsy Store CutMania
CutMania Newsletter Sign Up

ElizM88

Cherry Tart

That happens at our house......things that should be so easy end up being so time consuming! Glad you have a place to stay!
ElizM88

Scrappin' in Alabama

RitaS

Cherry Bing

We have the best friend and neighbor - who is an experienced do-it-yourselfer and has done amazing work in making over their home here in town and the little house on the lake... whatever his Friday afternoon plans are - he has put them on hold and is helping out my husband. They just resolved yet another issue, or just went to get the supplies to do so after calling me, and I ran home (sure glad I work 1/2 mile from home!) to see if agreed with the solution.
Because of this man we will have plumbing restored tonight.

He and his family always head out at about 3 pm on Fridays to drive to their lake home for the weekend, but they are putting it off and he is staying to help.

While I was home discussing the latest issue, his wife arrived with refreshments for all. I swear, there are no better people in this world than these two. We're having dinner together...considering our kitchen is littered with new plumbing fixtures, old plumbing fixutres, cans of paint, tools, etc., and we have no water...I suspect we are eating at their house too.

When I get out of here I think my next big decision will be where to order pizza from.;)
Rita S

Life is about second chances. There would be no hope if God didn't give us another.

meteechtap

Cherry Cola

Sorry about the remodel, however sounds like its going to be a great weekend for you and the kids!
~Janet~Image Image Image
Celebrity Cherry 5/10 , Guest Ct 5/11

sherry

Cherry Bing

Ok, kinda funny, but probably not for you. My husband has NEVER started a "one day project" that actually took one day. After 23 years of marriage, I know this, I accept it, and I plan for it. Things are NEVER simple! Hope you get it done and love the finished result.

Grandma Flowers

Cherry Cropper

My heart goes out to DH. It never fails to happen that a little job becomes a major project.
Image Image Image Image

---Jan---

Retiree3

Wild Cherry

Sorry to hear about the problem. Hope things improve soon.
[
Donna-Retiree3-Proud Grandmother of Three Boys!

[highlight=#000000][/highlight]

AlwaysHappy

Cherry Cola

I can relate to the do it yourself projects. It's never as easy and fast as they make it look on TV. I feel sorry for dh, as you know his pride has been hurt. However, I must say that you have totally awesome neighbors. I don't know many people who would give up there weekend plans to help a neighbor do hard labor and I'm sure it is hard labor. Hope all turns out well.
Image ImageImage

LyndaKay

Cherry Jubilee

How frustrating for your DH! Glad you have good neighbors!

Lynda

Nikki_E

Cherry Cropper

Oh no!
Nikki

When you see me with a smile on my face, then you'll know I'm a mental case. ~ Alice Cooper

RitaS

Cherry Bing

It is late Sat. afternoon. Yes, we do have a toilet and plumbing, praise the Lord!

But I have to share what else happened late yesterday afternoon... Jesse and Shawn were installing the new toilet, I happened to look, and first thing I noticed was tha the base/bowl was definitely not comfort height. We had to do a special order to get a comfort height with a round bowl, because an elongated bowl (which seems standard these days) would prevent the door from opening. (Yep, this is what I call a postage stamp bathroom) We specifically went with ProBuild, a builders store as I wanted to ensure quality product and hopefully this would be the last Kohler toilet ever needed in this bath...during our lifetime. The salesman spent a half hour talking with us, showing us the Kohler books and came up with a style number that should have been both comfort height and round - I did not question him or second guess as this older man seemed quite knowledgeable and experienced.

Anyhow, I was irrate - doesn't happen too often. I called the store, explained that the toilet was being installed this very minute and the bowl is not comfort height which is what we ordered, and had to wait for to come in. The man on the phone had to call me back and double check the order - but unfortunately our invoice did not have a style described - it was quite vague. Definitely not our fault that the salesman did not provide better notes on the invoice - to summarize - they said we could bring it back, but Shawn said we should ask what else they're going to do since we now had to spend time uninstalling, and as it ended up we had to drive to a Home Depot 45 min. away to get a model that was in stock (which I verified was in first). The only reason I did not buy from HD in the first place is I figured that Kohler probably makes a lower end model to a discount store, cheaper parts, whatever, and the professional building center had higher end parts.

The manager called later - and said he would give us $50 add'tl credit as he wanted us to be happy and shop there again. (And honestly, i was so disgusted I probably would not shop there again). So I have to give them credit.

Poor Jesse - had some tools in his back pocket and thought the bulk was his wallet. He had been home working all day and had no need to put his wallet in his pocket. He calls us from HD to say he had the toilet, but no wallet, money to pay for it. Which meant Shawn and I had to get in their van and drive to HD with the wallet - and we snagged some pizza to eat on the way while it was warm.

The guys did have the new toilet installed by 8 pm and plumbing - they did good. Jesse is spending today putting on the 2nd coat of paint and is working on wainscoting. I just got home and it is looking nice. I am going to wait a bit before deciding on doing a painting technique.
Rita S

happayscrappay

Cherry Bing

I regularly go through this because DH is replacing all the plumbing in our 100+ year old house. Right now, we don't have a bathroom on the floor where we sleep because the water is turned off to it and we're going to remodel. So, when the boys are asleep, we can't use the bathroom in their room and have to go all the way to the first floor to go to the bathroom. It is a LONG trip in the middle of the night.
Hi! I'm Rachel
My Blog: Happay Scraps

Return to “General Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee