Got a job offer yesterday...

Moderator: ACOT Employee

Keling
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 1509

Got a job offer yesterday...

Post by Keling »

Okay, I got a job offer yesterday to sell advertising for our city newspaper. It's part-time, school hours... The catch... I don't know, I just don't feel as excited about this job as everyone else is. There will be some challenges for the first couple of months until my youngest starts school full-time (he's only part-time now), and they say they'll work with me, but, I just don't know...

I, naively, thought yesterday was purely going to be a second interview, this time with 'boss' of the department, but within a few minutes, they were offering me the job.

Is there something wrong with me for feeling a bit queasy about this job? The pay is good, and the hours are as right as I can get - but it is something new for me. I have all the components and skills for the job, but I've just never actually had the job title of sales rep. I can do all the cold calling, the copy writing, the ad design, and I know all about the benefits of newspaper advertising, the statistics, etc. I've even sold ad spaces to clients before - but it wasn't my name on the sheet when they were put into the system - it was always someone else who had to worry about meeting the targets, etc. I just helped them meet their own targets...
Sara
m1218p
Cherry Picker
Gallery: 1079

Re: Got a job offer yesterday...

Post by m1218p »

Sara, as I recall, you have a strong faith in God. When He opens a door, walk through it, in faith. Remember you work for Him, not for the newspaper. Do what He wants you to do where He sends you, and you'll walk in His favor (Psalm 5:11, 12). Congrats, girl!

Marci

HotFlashDesigns
Proudly creating for Bella Gypsy Designs

handerful
Cherry Cropper
Gallery: 430

Post by handerful »

No advise here, just go with it. It sounds almost too good to be true, maybe that's what is making you uneasy.
Image Image
RACHEL
Alissa103
Cherry Berry
Gallery: 33

Post by Alissa103 »

Go with your gut. If you're not feeling it, there's probably a reason. Trust your instincts!
Grandma Flowers
Cherry Cropper
Gallery: 5

Post by Grandma Flowers »

I think you should give it a try. If it doesn't work out, you can always find something else. I've always been nervous about a new job.
Image Image Image Image

---Jan---
sarahwhithers
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 2269

Post by sarahwhithers »

It might be the fact that it has everything you need that's making you feel uneasy. That doesn't come around often enough for you to feel comfortable with it. As well, a new job is always nerve-racking, whether you've done it before or not. Could all be contributing to the uneasy feeling. In the end, do you think you would enjoy the job? Cuz if I felt that I would like it than I would take it for sure. :-D

Good luck and congrats on the offer!
scrappininAK
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 1886

Post by scrappininAK »

Starting a new job is always scary and this time it sounds as though you'll be the main person responsible for everything. I say give it a shot - if you don't like it you can always leave
Heather

My Blog Unleashed
My Etsy Store CutMania
CutMania Newsletter Sign Up
scraptag
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 567

Post by scraptag »

Also, it's very natural to feel disappointed if you are actually going to work after being off for a while. I really struggle with that. I'm finally making headway on my scrapping, and to have to go back to work is just messing with my mind!
doviana
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 31

Post by doviana »

When I got the job I have now it was a very similar experience... I went in for a second interview where he was offering me the job. Shocking to say the least and this is a LOT more than a typical Customer Service position. That was after being a work at home mom for 10 years... it was a lot to handle all at one time but here I sit at work 1 1/2 years later loving every minute of my job and this new journey I have been on. God gives us only what we are able to handle at once. And sometimes a windfall (like a job that si 'perfect' for you) is just His way of saying that you can handle this too and that you DESERVE good things.

If it feels like you want this go for it. You deserve that special sense of accomplishment just like every one else!
RitaS
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 299

Post by RitaS »

From experience I can assure you that starting something new that you have not done before is always a little nerving. Exactly one year ago I started this 4th career. Knew nothing about investments, but God clearly opened the door, the location, hours, pay, flexible boss - all too good to be true. One year later I have learned a whole heck of a lot and am quite good at the paper work and excel at client service excellence (being a people person that was never a question). I never imagine this "ol dog" could learn new tricks, so to speak. But I have and here I am - quite happy in my new job, although missing the PT hours and scrappy time.:bluewinka:

Pray about it and if you feel that God has opened this door - think about how it all came to be - then go through it trusting Him. I always felt if it did not work out I could look elsewhere, but at least remain employed in this economy. All the best to you in your decision!!
Rita S

Life is about second chances. There would be no hope if God didn't give us another.

reelynn
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 6

Post by reelynn »

Congrats on the job offer!!!
Shawnery Mathis
baltoscrapper
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 358

Post by baltoscrapper »

I say you go for it! There isn't some kind of contract where you have to work for them for XX years, is there? I would take a chance and try it out, you can always quit. And who know's this could be just the most PERFECT job for you!
Congrats!
I used to be a "celebrity cherry", but now I'm in re-hab...... Holy Carp!
letumom
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 846

Post by letumom »

Ditto all of the above! Congratulations!
Laurie

jannyf
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 148

Post by jannyf »

I feel the same as everyone else. You didn't sign a contract, so you are free to leave at anytime, but you at least have to give it 2-4 months. There's always the learning curve period, and you have to allow for that. It sounds perfect for where you are in life, and who knows? Maybe God has great things in store for you in this position - like some hefty commissions.

Give it the ole college try & if you don't like it or your co-workers or the boss is a jerk, give the 2 week notice and leave.

Good luck!!!
- Jan

Nikki_E
Cherry Cropper
Gallery: 19

Post by Nikki_E »

Good luck!
Nikki

When you see me with a smile on my face, then you'll know I'm a mental case. ~ Alice Cooper
scrapsakes
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 451

Post by scrapsakes »

well, first, CONGRATS :) cuz you are definitely qualified for the job, but i'm
guessing you are feeling apprehensive due to having to NOW be the one who
is truly "accountable" for everything -- hence, the job title, and that alone can
be nerve-wracking, so it's totally understandable to feel what you're feeling...

i say, "feel the fear, but do it anyway!" ;) who knows, you might actually end
up liking it, but you will never know lest you try... and besides, you can always
quit later if it doesn't work out... i hope that helps & most of all, GOODLUCK!!
"a heart in love with beauty never grows old" Image (turkish proverb)
JulianaM
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 259

Post by JulianaM »

It sounds like saying some prayers and really thinking through this offer are what you are doing and that is exactly what I would do in your shoes!
I wish you the best no matter what decision you make!
mysunshine
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 221

Post by mysunshine »

Alissa103 wrote:Go with your gut. If you're not feeling it, there's probably a reason. Trust your instincts!

I agree with this comment. I ignored my gut on my first job out of college. I ended up hating it and wishing that I had just turned the offer down and kept looking. I won't let that happen again. Trust yourself and don't worry about what others think. You will be the one that has to get out of bed each morning...
- Angie - Come read my blog!
lilkoala3
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 785

Post by lilkoala3 »

You're probably feeling queasy about it because in general, working sucks, no matter what your job is.
Leslie
LaWanna
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 41

Post by LaWanna »

Take a deep breath. I always feel like that when starting a new job. Is this your first job in while? Then it is even more daunting. You will be okay. You just have to be confident in your non-mom abilities. I'm sure you will do very well - sounds like you know what you are doing.
LaWanna Desjardin
Find Desjardin Digital Designs on Facebook!
Blog: A Happy Distraction
Handmade Purses, Tote and More

** Yes that's my little dog sneaking a Dum-Dum Sucker.

Return to “General Talk”