Get FREE shipping with your $35 order with code FREESHIP35

baltoscrapper

Bowl Full of Cherries

I'm a complete JERK!
:? So, my boss sends me an email. The email, from a client is requesting some info, no biggy. I attach the info, type a little blurb and send it. I come back from lunch and the boss needs to see me :? . It appears that I replied and forwarded the ENTIRE email to the client.....including the part where my boss (who doesn't like this client) says.. "take care of this right away, he is a demanding client".
Yeah, client SEES that comment and emails my boss back to say "

Referring to a client of over 20 years as “such a demanding person” is not only insulting, it is unprofessional.

Holy carp, I messed THAT one up!!!

So my boss says "fix it". Below is the copy and pasted email, tell if you would think it's an ok excuse....

I am so sorry about the email. I know this is NO excuse, but we are having problems with our fax line (not working, no explanation) AND our computer system. We are all so frustrated and ready to spit wooden nickels today! The comment was NOT directed at you, but is just showing our frustration today. Everything seems like a major deal today, since NOTHING in this office is working properly.
Again, I am soo soo sorry and you are not a demanding client, by any means! Demanding in our world mean “take care of it now”, not later. It does not reflect on you. Again, so sorry that our frustration made it through into your email.

To answer your questions, we do have ABN Amro on your Alleghany property. I will take it off (paid in full, correct?). They never notify us when they sell it, nor do they notify us when the mortgage is paid off. Your homeowners does have Citi as the mortgage, so that is correct. I will get the mortgage taken off XXX since it is paid in full.

Again, I’m so sorry and you can come over and smack me in the head! I feel like banging it against the wall anyway! This day WILL end, won’t it???

Sincerely,

Cecilia XXXX

Agent

is that an ok response???? I feel HORRIBLE!

I used to be a "celebrity cherry", but now I'm in re-hab...... Holy Carp!

JeanG

Cherry Cola

Re: I'm a complete JERK!
I think it's fine - but I'd show it to the boss and make sure it's not going to make him even more mad than he already is!
I wonder, sometimes, if we ever give God a headache.

craftyfool

Cherry Cola

Oh goodness. First BREATHE DEEPLY.

I think your response sounds good. There is nothing you can say that's going to take it back. But smoothing the waters might help in the long run. I agree to run it by your boss first though. Just to cover all bases.

scrappininAK

Cherry Jubilee

Uh - oh ! it's good to try and smooth things over but I wouldn't go overboard with all the reasons why - just a simple I'm sorry - we're having a really frustrating week here and it rubbed of on you
Heather

My Blog Unleashed
My Etsy Store CutMania
CutMania Newsletter Sign Up

Laura Fiore

Wild Cherry

ummmm, I'm the queen of foot in the mouth issues around here, so I'm not sure I should even respond!

CRAP!!!! Making mistakes like this make me sick to my stomach...so sorry Cec!

The response looks fine...hope it helps. If he's as demanding as you and your boss think, he won't get that it's about him and his "I'm the only client" attitude over the years!

baltoscrapper

Bowl Full of Cherries

I did run it by my boss first. When I first told him my angle (frustration in the office) my boss said "no, that won't do". Ummmm, he's the one who made the off handed remark in the first place and he's blaming the whole thing on me (I did forward it, but he shouldn't write nasty remarks in the emails anyway).
I read it to him before I hit send and since he couldn't think of anything better, he said ok.

btw, this client IS a PITA, but I wasn't going to say "oh yeah, and my boss meant it!!" lol.......ok not so funny...

scraptag

Cherry Cola

your response sounds good, except for one thing. It was YOUR BOSS who made the comment. He should be sucking up, not you. jmho

hellmgle

Cherry Bing

What about a phone call instead of another e-mail.....It should actually come from the "boss" that made the faux paus....but then again maybe not!! And in no way are you a complete jerk......this happens way more than most of us realize I think..

MLee

Cherry Cola

Nothing on the original subject but food for thought...

More and more bosses and executives are doing in depth searches for their employees and for generated search words through google dot com and other online search engines to find just this type of post. In the past month there alone there have been 2-3 stories of people being fired from their job for posting threads quite similar to this one where the owner of a business claimed damages because the employee took private company matters online - even though the company was never mentioned by name.

I know everyone here is a great help and support for one another but it's something to keep in mind when posting here or on social networks.

Good luck with your boss and the client. :)

hellmgle

Cherry Bing

MLee wrote:Nothing on the original subject but food for thought...

More and more bosses and executives are doing in depth searches for their employees and for generated search words through google dot com and other online search engines to find just this type of post. In the past month there alone there have been 2-3 stories of people being fired from their job for posting threads quite similar to this one where the owner of a business claimed damages because the employee took private company matters online - even though the company was never mentioned by name.

I know everyone here is a great help and support for one another but it's something to keep in mind when posting here or on social networks.

Good luck with your boss and the client. :)

It's a sad but sign of the times fact.......

mykidsmom

Cherry Jubilee

yikes! I really think that your boss should've made the phone call and apologized! That should not have fallen in your lap and he should know that anything that you type can end up where you don't want it to
[HIGHLIGHT=#ffffff]-Melissa[/HIGHLIGHT]

LyndaKay

Cherry Jubilee

Use the word apology rather than sorry as often as you did. Maybe the last line could be, "Let me extend my sincerest apologies for the"......yada yada

Lynda

beachlover

Cherry Addict

JeanG wrote:I think it's fine - but I'd show it to the boss and make sure it's not going to make him even more mad than he already is!
I agree, and it sounds like your boss has been a real donkey lately.. whats the deal, thought he was like a ffriend....
Ann ~ Life is always better at the beach!
 view my blog (new) https://ourhideawayparadise.blogspot.com/ 

Keling

Cherry Jubilee

Oohh... Big boo-boo! But you're definitely not a jerk!!!
Sara

Grandma Flowers

Cherry Cropper

Uh-oh, but you're not a jerk. I'd say it's your boss's fault for putting it in writing in the first place. All you can do it try to smooth it over.
Image Image Image Image

---Jan---

Beth-W

Featured Guest Coordinator

I think you did a great job smoothing it over. Your boss is the jerk for typing that in an email in the first place. You made a mistake. It happens. :winkb:
~Beth
"Make it bigger, make it badder, make it awesome" -Duff Goldman
"They need a hero to tell them that sometimes the impossible can become possible, if you're AWESOME!" -Rhino

http://latteonthebrain.blogspot.com/

ImageImage

PezKat

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Sigh, I hate it when that happens!! So you've already sent this response, or are you still working on it? If you're still working, I'd agree w/those that suggested shortening the 'excuses' and using language that's a bit more professional (I know it's a common temptation to be more casual in email, but try to word it how you'd word it in an actual business letter). There was also a typo ("Demanding in our world means..."). Good luck!
Image Image

baltoscrapper

Bowl Full of Cherries

oh crap, and a type-o too........ nope, already sent it. :waiting: oh well, $hit happens!

Henu_Nea

Cherry Cola

Oh Cec! I'm so sorry. It must be a stressful situation. My mother did something similar at her work but it was a co-worker instead of a client. She was mortified but in the end the guy understood and now they joke about it.

I hope it's over soon! ((((HUGS)))
ImageImage
Image Image

terri04

Cherry Bing

been there, done that. good luck, & give yourself a break.

Return to “General Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee