College Station Tornado

Moderator: ACOT Employee

killarney_rose
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 356

College Station Tornado

Post by killarney_rose »

If you automatically think mkcdaisy, I know her house is fine because the tornado traveled the south side of CS. For me, it was an experience. I've seen two tornados before, but I sure don't like to be in a car when I saw what I did yesterday. Instead of dealing with Houston traffic at 4:30pm yesterday I went from our house in Southern Brazoria county via Needville, Brookshire, Hempstead, to CS and then north to the ranch. Driving into CS I got about five miles out and sure didn't like the look of the wall cloud straight ahead of me. By three miles out I was pretty sure there was rotation. I was trained as a storm spotter in 1994. Sure enough as I got to the exit for Rock Prairie I could clearly see the rotation. It was streaming so I knew I didn't have to head west, and I had time to get north of the funnel. Very cool to watch! Then I drove into the storm and went through two separate hail cores. Lots of straight line winds too, outflow from the tornado that really shook the car as it hit it from the left side. DH just left the ranch to check on DH's mobile home as she is currently home for the summer. I'm sure it's fine as I've heard it was an F0 or weak F1. I'll know in a couple of hours.

I know I'm nuts but on my Bucket List is a Storm Chasing vacation in the Plains!
emarie803
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 691

Re: College Station Tornado

Post by emarie803 »

Yikes! We had one here last night, a little west of where I live.
milmomma
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 67

Post by milmomma »

They had one south of the city here last night two... seems like it was a wild night. Glad your safe.
letumom
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 846

Post by letumom »

OMG! I've watched several YouTube experiences of folks chasing T'storms and T's, but I certainly don't have the moxie for it. Glad everyone is ok.
Laurie

emarie803
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 691

Post by emarie803 »

I fell asleep as the sirens in my neighborhood started LOL! I was too tired to care.
jody01
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 1

Post by jody01 »

I would of turned the first sight of bad weather Scaredy cat here!! Big time!! Storms scare me anyways, I Grew up in Homestead and Miami Fla. lots of Hurricanes, I doint ever remember seeing tornados Your much braver than I am lol
ImageImage
ChrissyTina
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 221

Post by ChrissyTina »

Wow! It's a good thing you had your training to rely on! I don't think you're crazy to want to go storm chasing! It sounds pretty exhilarating to say the least!!! Glad you are all safe!
Chrissy

MLee
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 404

Post by MLee »

So glad you're okay!!

Growing up in TX I think we have a different fascination than most people with tornadoes. ;) They're rumbling through AR this morning. So far nothing big where I am but the storms and straight line winds have knocked over some pretty large trees.

jodcold
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 58

Post by jodcold »

We very rarely have tornados here; I've never seen one. Ice storms yes, tornados no. I would have been so scared!
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

Jody H. (jodcold)

Image Image Image

mkcdaisy
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 616

Post by mkcdaisy »

yep i;m fine but i was out in college station and lots of trees are down. I did have one of my jumpiter trees fall (partly) and a plant in my pond tumbled. Other than that my house it great.
killarney_rose
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 356

Post by killarney_rose »

mkcdaisy wrote:yep i;m fine but i was out in college station and lots of trees are down. I did have one of my jumpiter trees fall (partly) and a plant in my pond tumbled. Other than that my house it great.

So happy to hear from you!!!!

If your juniper isn't to big you can upright it, stake it....then call the Horticulture Department (TAMU) and ask them to tell you how to care for the tree.

All I can say it was one heck of a ride once I got north of 2818. I even thought about you before I left our coastal home for the ranch. Wish I'd had your phone number, but as I look back to yesterday I would not have wanted to exit my vehicle.

DH reported in and lots of limbs down in the Mobile Home Park where her house is. None from the tree in her yard. Leaves everywhere. Even her roses are fine. Amazing as the hail was coming down from the West. Her home is fine. :)
mkcdaisy
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 616

Post by mkcdaisy »

yep i sat there while it was doing all that playing on one computer while programs and such loaded on the other one
pawprints
A Cherry on Top
Gallery: 1052

Post by pawprints »

So glad to hear you all are okay!

Image Image Image

letumom
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 846

Post by letumom »

Oh boy - nothing like Mother Nature throwing her weight around. And we are headed into Hurricane Season too!
Laurie

Emsdancemom
A Cherry on Top
Gallery: 223

Post by Emsdancemom »

I am glad you were safe but that you got to see the show.
AnnH
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 6

Post by AnnH »

Yikes! From one tornado alley (central Illinois) to another, glad to hear that you're all ok!
Ann

handerful
Cherry Cropper
Gallery: 430

Post by handerful »

I am glad all are safe!
Image Image
RACHEL
IreneP
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 3

Post by IreneP »

Glad you are all OK
PezKat
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 514

Post by PezKat »

Yikes!! So glad everyone's ok. We had one hit our house on my 5th birthday - no major damage, but I still hate them!!! I won't even see the movie about them. ;-)
Image Image
blaznpat
Sweet Cherry Pie

Post by blaznpat »

glad you're okay!!
Pat

Image Image Image

Return to “General Talk”