Update on chemo treatments

Moderator: ACOT Employee

Scraprat
Cherry Cola

Update on chemo treatments

Post by Scraprat »

I thought I would post an update on my cancer journey. I know it's been a while but I wanted to see how things were going to go. I also have not had a lot of energy to sit too long at the computer!

I have completed my first 3 chemo treatments. Each time the side effects got worse, which the doctor said could happen. The last treatment, on 6/25 was the roughest. I have had a lot of joint, bone and muscle pain, each time lasting a little longer. I have also had bad stomach pain, gastritis like symptoms that also started radiating to my chest. I did end up in the ER one day because of the chest pain, but everything is OK with my heart. I am followed by a gastroenterologist, who said my tests do show irritation to the stomach lining. I am on a couple of meds to help with that, but it doesn't take away the pain completely. The chest discomfort makes it hard to breathe sometimes, so that is bothersome. I also feel very tired most of the time which is pretty much expected from what I'm told! But all in all I am doing well. My oncologist says my tumor markers and exams indicate that the chemo is working and he is very pleased (and so am I)! He says when levels drop as fast as mine have, it is a very good sign and the prognosis is much better! He will know more once I have the hysterectomy done. That is scheduled for August 3rd. He said today that if there is no sign of cancer after my surgery, I may only need 2 more chemo treatments instead of 3! I won't be really at ease until after the surgery and I know more about what the doctor finds.

Life sure is different when you go through something like this. It seems like my calendar is filled with weekly blood draws, IV fluids and doctor appointments, not to mention the appointments I take my mom to also! It makes you appreciate every minute you have and I look at things a lot differently too. But it has also drawn me even closer to family and friends and that is a blessing!

I worry about all the added stress on my dh. He works full time, does laundry, helps with supper when he needs to, takes care of me when I'm feeling bad plus takes me to the hospital for whatever I need if I can't drive. But he's been like that all through our 30+ year marriage! He's the best! Besides all that, he's so good about checking on my mom and helping her with whatever she needs. I feel so guilty that I can't do what I need and want to because of how I feel most of the time. I know he doesn't mind, he's worried about me and hates that I'm going through this. It's just a rough time right now, but I know we'll come through it, together.

I know there are a lot of people going through this that are having a worse time than me. I know that treatment is temporary so I can get through what I need to do! I do what I can, rest when I need to and I have so much love and support from my dh, family and friends! I know there is a purpose in all this and that I am bound for much greater things!

Thanks to you all for well wishes, prayers and messages you've sent me! You'll never know how much it has helped and how much it means to me!
Take care of you,
Deb

scraptag
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 567

Re: Update on chemo treatments

Post by scraptag »

Can I just say that you writing those words about what you are going through has touched me. And I know it will touch others. If for no other reason than to touch the life of just one person with those words, then your cancer and your life has not been in vane. What a blessing to hear how you are enduring even through this sickness. To hear you sing the praises of your husband and be concerned for others going through similar circumstances. Thank you for taking the time to write your letter. You have touched me!
Kari_H
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 246

Post by Kari_H »

I have been away for so long I had no idea you're sick. I am sorry Deb! What a horrible thing to have to go through. Stay strong and I am praying for you!
Kari ----- "Women with whips, 82% more likely to get what they want."

Check out my site! http://countryroadphotography.zenfolio.com/
SarahA
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 358

Post by SarahA »

I'm praying that things keep getting better for you. Just know that you can stop by here anytime you need anything!
writerlady
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 448

Post by writerlady »

Hi Deb! Three down, right? I hear the first three are the worst... at least I totally hope so. I include you and your family in my prayers each night. I'm so pleased that you are doing well enough to write to us. Thank you! Your dh sounds like a wonderful man. I have a feeling that if I were to say that to him, he would tell me that you are a wonderful woman! It generally takes two to make a terrific relationship. Thirty years is a long time! I ish there was something I could do to ease your side effects. I take morphine twice a day every day for nerve pain. Would that help you? It eats up my stomach, so it's probably not a good choice. I sure hope that things keep going well... sending as much positive thoughts and energy (and some angels, I hope) to help you. (((hugs)))
Please stop by my blog,Writerlady's Craftroom

AnnOminous
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 211

Post by AnnOminous »

((((((((((HUGS)))))))))) Just keep on going and you will win!!!!
Emsdancemom
A Cherry on Top
Gallery: 223

Post by Emsdancemom »

(((((HUGS))))) You will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.
Nikki_E
Cherry Cropper
Gallery: 19

Post by Nikki_E »

(((HUGS!)))))
Nikki

When you see me with a smile on my face, then you'll know I'm a mental case. ~ Alice Cooper
jodcold
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 58

Post by jodcold »

I hope the next treatments are better for you and that you won't need many more. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

Jody H. (jodcold)

Image Image Image

grifscap
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 109

Post by grifscap »

Will keep you in our prayers.
Grandma Flowers
Cherry Cropper
Gallery: 5

Post by Grandma Flowers »

Gosh, what an awful time you're going through. Just remember there are a lot of people pulling for you. Don't feel too guilty about DH. You know you would do the same for him. You'll be in our thoughts and prayers as long as you need.
Image Image Image Image

---Jan---
bluetulip
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 2

Post by bluetulip »

Sending many prayers your way!
ImageImageImageImage
terri04
Cherry Bing

Post by terri04 »

sending lots of hugs & prayers to you guys. good luck & get better soon
scrapy1967
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 1487

Post by scrapy1967 »

I am sending hugs and prayers to you!
ImageImage 

IreneP
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 3

Post by IreneP »

{{{{HUGS}}}}
Kathy
Cherry Cropper
Gallery: 165

Post by Kathy »

Hi Debbie,

I haven't been here in MONTHS and this post of yours is the first I see. I went back and read all your posts to find out how you are. Bless your heart!!!! You are going through something very tough, but very courageously! I admire you and how you are showing strength of character through these dark days. I pray for swift healing for you, and for this evil to be eradicated from your body.

As you always say to us..."take care of you!"

Kathy
Kathy
For His honor
1grandma
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 187

Post by 1grandma »

We will continue to pray for you. I am glad that you felt strong enough to write to us. We have missed you here. God bless you and your dh. Stay strong.
Bibi
KBeachy
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 1

Post by KBeachy »

I'm glad your so positive! That is wonderful and I'm sure is helping your body as much as possible. I love your outlook through all this! I hope the surgery goes well in August and I hope you start feeling better soon!
Semper Fi
3 Pals
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 49

Post by 3 Pals »

You are amazing. Please let go of any guilt you are feeling about those who love you caring for you and doing what you "should " be doing. Focus ALL of your energy on getting through this so you can get back to doing it all sooner... after all we are woman we CAN do it all...right? When you are having a tough day or moment, close your eyes and picture all those people sending their love a good wishes your way - you will do this. You are ok...

Hugs and squeezes.
ImageImage Image
Ann
-ange-
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 68

Post by -ange- »

Wow, I'm so glad to hear that your prognosis is looking better! I know this is hard, but know that those helping you out really just want you to get better (I've been one of those helpers before, and that's all I prayed for) and we're all thinking of you. I hope the surgery shows that you're getting better, and hopefully you won't have as many rounds of chemo after the surgery. ***hugs!***
*ange* :)

Return to “General Talk”