LAST DAY to save 20% off the regular price of everything! Use code CARDS20

Queen Mum

Cherry Addict

Who thinks they need a white Christmas
 So may people say "We need a white Christmas."

Are you one of those?

Serious question.

WHY do you want a white Christmas?
Queen Mum - Grammy to Princess Bump (Lisa Giann) and Princess Bean (Gia Bella)

ncokely

Cherry Cola

Re: Who thinks they need a white Christmas
 It seems Christmassy-er with snow!!!
[img]file:///C:/Users/jscokely/Documents/design%20team%20banner.png[/img]~Nancy~
Scrapbooking began in the Bible Ps. 78:3-4
Personal best-31 LO's completed 6/2010
Image Image ImageImage

kathyt

Sweet Cherry Pie

I don't know if I NEED one but I sure would like one.  It just seems right to me. 
Kathy, who likes to think about scrapbooking

Joy

Cherry Garcia

I remember only having two..one as a kid and one a few years ago. It would be so pretty!

ScrapGoo

Cherry Jubilee

I'm from Maine... I still celebrate Christmas there.  A Maine Christmas without snow is weird!  The "vision" of Christmas in most forms of media is pine trees and snow and that was my vision growing up so I still want it. 

Janshotgun

Cherry Cola

Well, I live in Michigan and this year will be a white Christmas!  I love snow for Christmas because it reminds me of all those old movies where it's snowing on Christmas.

That said, we don't always have a white Christmas and I do tend to feel sadder when it isn't snowing - it just doesn't feel like Christmas to me.  Also, I think more people put up lights here because it seems more festive with the snow.  It's not unusual to have every house all decked out in lots of lights.

Last year we spent Christmas in California with my daughter and family.  We had the windows open on Christmas day, it was that warm.  I didn't see as many lights in the neighborhoods - but it still felt like Christmas because I was with my grandchildren seeing it through their eyes - I got a chance to help them bake and decorate cookies, leave a letter for Santa with cookies and milk, track Santa's arrival on the computer, visit large light displays and watch them open gifts on Christmas morning.  That really was the Christmas spirit!!!
Jan - trying to find my way

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

SarahA

Chocolate Covered Cherry

I agree with Jan & Jess, it does seem more festive if there is snow and it's weird without it.
BUT... I grew up in northern Michigan. I do not need the snow. EVER. For anything.

Mommybruno

Cherry Cola

I ONLY want a White Christmas. A nice dusting of snow on the actual day, and then I'm good for the rest of the winter.
Cassandra
"I tend to live in the past because most of my life is there." --Herb Caen
ImageImageImage

averys_mom

Cherry Cola

My early childhood years were spent in Michigan and my later ones in Montana, so Christmas without snow is just a bit weird.  Living here, we'll get used to it, but it is nice to have a little snow. I'm also one that only enjoys snow until Christmas is over and then I'm done with it. This year, I'd just like to get enough for my dd to go out and play in once or twice, because she has been so excited about it.  We're due to get some this weekend and have already seen some flurries mixed in with the rain today, so it's coming!

Queen Mum

Cherry Addict

I guess I just wonder where people get the feeling that snow means a better Christmas feel.

The way I see it, they didn't have snow in Bethlehem for the birth of Christ, so that can't be the reason that people feel that it's needed.

People in the south don't have it.  People in the southern hemispheres don't (in some places it's considered best to have Christmas at the beach!)

The only thing I can think of is that people have been brainwashed by Bing Crosby singing White Christmas (and think about it - that song was written by Irving Berlin - who was Jewish!)   

So I don't understand why snow makes it seem 'more Christmasy'.
Queen Mum - Grammy to Princess Bump (Lisa Giann) and Princess Bean (Gia Bella)

scraptag

Cherry Cola

I grew up in No. California, so a Christmas without FOG is odd for me.  I live in So. California now, and it makes me down right depressed when it's not even cold outside.  That has only happened a couple times though.  Yup...cold and foggy, that's how it should be.  (unless I'm in the mountains, then I want snow!)

ScrapGoo

Cherry Jubilee

Queen Mum wrote:The only thing I can think of is that people have been brainwashed by Bing Crosby singing White Christmas (and think about it - that song was written by Irving Berlin - who was Jewish!)   
While I think media is definitely a factor I still believe that for me (and many people who grew up with snowy Christmases) it is about memory association.  Every single Christmas I have ever had has taken place in Maine and there was usually snow.  If not on the actual day, at least surrounding the day.  It isn't about someone else telling me I should want snow... rather, it's about all of the warm fuzzies that Christmas is in my head and my heart.  It's not just the flakes and their beauty... it is the association of the family needing to dig out a zillion cars just to go anywhere, dad plowing the driveway late on Christmas eve, the horrible snowstorms we braved to get to my grandmothers' houses, etc.  Those memories live on long after the snow melts. 

Cherry Bing

Living in Texas- we rarely see snow. I am a transplant from Indiana- So yes I do miss the white stuff and the sparkly trees after a icy frosting. I see so many cool layouts done with snow pics and I long to do pages like that. 

Another thing I miss about the snow is how quiet it is outside  after it snows. the Sound seems different. Its almost serene and peaceful.  I also love how a blanket of fresh white stuff can make even the trashiest neighbors yard look beautiful...

sdwhru

Cherry Jubilee

I love snow!!!  Christmas not the same without it!!!!

dianagirly

Cherry Cropper

All my childhood Christmases were in Hawaii. I have had very few white Christmases, even after moving to Idaho and Utah. Usually it is butt cold-but no snow...which just makes me bitter. LOL
 To me, the white Christmas is nice because everything looks pure again-the loudness of the world tends to be quieted...and snuggling is in order.

evilqueen

Chocolate Covered Cherry

I don't want a white christmas.  It causes too much problems traveling from the relatives house.
Here I come to save the day! Chas
I'm the crazy lizard lady
http://scrapinlizards.blogspot.com/

Grandma Flowers

Cherry Cropper

Not me.  I'm fine with a green Christmas.
Image Image Image Image

---Jan---

emarie803

Cherry Jubilee

I've lived in Colorado for 17 years now, and we've only had a white Christmas 2 times- the last 2 years! Most of our snow melts within a couple days leaving it all brown for Christmas. It's pretty when it's white, but I hate driving in it.

-Kami-

Sweet Cherry Pie

Minne-soda girl here. Me needs a white Christmas every year and so far we have one this year!! After Christmas though, it can all go away. hehehe

justred2u

Cherry Picker

Me ... me ... oooo oooo me!!!! PLEASE ... I want a white Christmas soooooo bad!!!! :bluesad:  I'll bet if you lived here in Texas for a few years you would really want one too!!!!  It is just BROWN ... one day 36 and the next 70 ... blah!!!!!!!  Maybe if I had a few white Christmas' I wouldn't mind the 105 degree summer days so much ... mmmm
Leslie Mar 1/10
ImageImage
1) Rebel. Refuse to accept the idea that creativity is work.
2) Play. Think like a child.
3) Zone. Tune out negative vibes.
4) Feel. Open your heart, nurture your imagination.

Return to “General Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee