Get FREE shipping with your $35 order with code FREESHIP35

Henu_Nea

Cherry Cola

Making a Scarecrow?
 Ok, so our school district is having a Scarecrow decorating Contest where each class is supposed to enter a Scarecrow that we've made. As the PTO "Room Mom", I'm in charge of our class's entry.

HELP!!!!

I don't know the first thing about making a darn Scarecrow! Has anyone made one before? It has to be free-standing/sitting. It can be any theme and be made from straw, boards, paper or whatever our class thinks to use.

Anyone?
ImageImage
Image Image

beachlover

Cherry Addict

Re: Making a Scarecrow?
 you can make a life size one (thats what the classes all did at ds's school years ago) by using an old pair of jeans and old work shirt, and stuffing them with straw;  the face would be a little trickier, maybe some sort of sack cloth and drawing a face on, get a straw hat, etc.  you could even go so far as to put boots on him if someone wants to donate!
Ann ~ Life is always better at the beach!
 view my blog (new) https://ourhideawayparadise.blogspot.com/ 

Henu_Nea

Cherry Cola

Thanks Ann!
ImageImage
Image Image

asset

Wild Cherry

Free standing? Even gardeners get to stick a post in the ground!
If it was outside & you had access to a large round haybale I would say stick 2 posts in the bale, put jeans on the posts, stuff 'em, add boots & say he got baled up. Unless it's really little kids, then maybe not.
My Grandpa did this once way back when & put it along the highway- someone put a pic of it in the paper. I was pretty little so it seemed hilarious to me.

Haha- found on google:
~Tessa

I'm not saying forget what you lost
I suppose there's a purpose in pain
What we make of ourselves has a cost
And it's paid every time we take hold of the reins

SBcrazee

Cherry Jubilee

ImageImage

nhlmom

Cherry Blossom

use an old pair of panty hose for the legs and torso.  Stuff them with straw then put the clothes on.  Tuck the shirt in the pants and tie with baling twine.  Button the shirt (obviously) and tie the arms off with twine too.  Can't remember what we used for the face.......

Firegems

Sweet Cherry Pie

To go along with it you could always make the cloths be themed. Like apples or something like that. Or fall leaves stuck all over. 
Hope this Helps
Firegems

MamaK321

Cherry Addict

maybe use a small box for the head, a rod can hold it in place, shoved down teh neck hole in the straw?  Or I've seen people use a ball also.
Image Image

scrapsakes

Chocolate Covered Cherry

omg, that photo is too funny! LMAO!!

no help on how to make a scarecrow,
but maybe you can google for ideas &
there's always BHG/HGTV/DIY or even
Martha Stewart to check... also maybe
Family Fun website... and goodluck :winkb:
"a heart in love with beauty never grows old" Image (turkish proverb)

Kara

Cherry Jubilee

When Brad was in 5th grade, we all made one with panty hose, straw, and baby clothes....we used felt, etc for the face, still have it--cute but only about 18-24 inches tall
Image \ ImageImage

dianagirly

Cherry Cropper

WHy not make it out of recyclable items?
Milk jug body
Liter bottles for arms and legs
Shredded paper scraps instead of hay
Newspaper for clothing
old mop head for hair

Return to “General Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee