questionable school field trip

Moderator: ACOT Employee

MamaK321
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 1010

questionable school field trip

Post by MamaK321 »

:? dd's 5th grade teacher sent a note home asking parents if they would consent to the class viewing the Bodies Exhibition before heading on their way to a normal field trip. Dh says NO!, that this exhibit is inappropriate for 5th graders. We wouldn't even think of taking our kids ourselves, no way should the school sponsor it. These are human remains, dissected and on display, including genitalia and fetuses. I don't know much about it other than the ads I've seen in the paper but supposedly it is surrounded by a bunch of controversy about where they bodies came from, etc.
Image Image
suslvgeo
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 517

Re: questionable school field trip

Post by suslvgeo »

I would like to see it.....me being "I"....not Cole!! Nor a 5th grader.

I did not know there was ??'s regarding where they get the bodies from...that is ummmm CREEPY!!!
SUS ImageImageImage
MamaK321
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 1010

Post by MamaK321 »

dh said he knows some people who saw it, he heard that the bodies were taken from a Chinese prison or something.  I am looking moreinto it and found some more info on Wikipedia. ABC's 20/20 did a major report on it.
Image Image
fong33
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 204

Post by fong33 »

I wouldn't bring a 5th grader.  My friend had brought her sons when they were about that age and they were totally uncomfortable with the exhibits and asked to leave.
katarria
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 457

Post by katarria »

I haven't seen it, but agree that it's more than questionable to take 5th graders to see it!  We would even have a problem getting something like that passed at the high school level, although I'm sure it's educational.  Do other parents have concerns as well?
~Kathy
{hopelessly addicted}

Filling my basket with all of the new goodies :)

SBcrazee
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 28

Post by SBcrazee »

Yeah, too much controversy surrounding it. I believe the CEO of that company also resigned following the controversy. I think 5th graders are too young for it & will have a lot more questions than just being able to focus on it from an educational perspective.
ImageImage
lizziej
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 81

Post by lizziej »

I didn't see it, but I think 5th graders would be too young. 
Liz - HOOK 'EM HORNS!!
The only good addict is an alpha addict!
Jenn Kellams
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 402

Post by Jenn Kellams »

I guess I have mixed emotions about this.  I think sometimes people don't celebrate the human body for what it is and in some cases teach children in a round about way to hide or be ashamed of their bodies.  The body and all of the things it does and is capable of should be celebrated.  A fetus is a fetus.  In 5th grade, little girls can get their periods.  They should know what a fetus is.  They should also be aware of what a penis and a vagina is.  It is nothing to be ashamed of.  It is something that can be part of her body.

On the other hand, if someone feels that their child is not mature enough to handle these things or that they would be uncomfortable seeing this, then they shouldn't be allowed to go.  I would probably use this as a teaching experience.  It won't harm them to see what their body is.  Maybe offer to go on the field trip with her and use it as a teaching tool.  Only explain to her what you think is appropriate for her age. Maybe even go and buy her a detailed book of some things she may see at the exhibit and discuss it at home before hand.  I personally think 5th grade is a great age to inroduce this to a child if they are mature enough for it.  Some kids this age would take it all in and want more and some kids would giggle and laugh and not have a care in the world for it.  Only you as a parent knows.

I do not have children but I will be a teacher in a year and a half and it just so happens I want to teach 5th grade.  I think the bodies exhibition is AMAZING.    I have seen it in person when it was in Tampa, FL.  It is very educational.  The website is good and offers some info for it.

-----------------------------------------------

On the website this is the disclaimer:-This exhibit displays human remains of Chinese citizens
or residents which were originally received by the Chinese Bureau of
Police. The Chinese Bureau of Police may receive bodies from Chinese
prisons. Premier cannot independently verify that the human remains you
are viewing are not those of persons who were incarcerated in Chinese
prisons.

-This exhibit displays full body cadavers as well as
human body parts, organs, fetuses and embryos that come from cadavers
of Chinese citizens or residents. With respect to the human parts,
organs, fetuses and embryos you are viewing, Premier relies solely on
the representations of its Chinese partners and cannot independently
verify that they do not belong to persons executed while incarcerated
in Chinese prisons.

Cadavers have to come from somewhere, for this exhibit and for medical research purposes.
Jennifer K.
Personal Blog
Wendy-Gale
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 183

Post by Wendy-Gale »

umm NO...not for 5th grade :?
Image 39 layouts in 2008 Image
momofgjc
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 178

Post by momofgjc »

NO! I would have real issues with a teacher who wanted to take my child to this. I think this is something much more appropriate for a parent to take their child to if they wish to so they could answer questions. I would find it way too disturbing for myself let alone for a 5th grader!
Gypsymonkey
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 441

Post by Gypsymonkey »

Personally, I think it depends on each individual child.  Some are mature enough or able to handle it, while others aren't.  My son is going into 7th, but when he heard about it a couple years ago, wanted to see it.  We would have taken him. However, my daughter's personal make-up is different and she may never want to see it at any age.
"May you always have memories to scrap!" ~ Diana
Henu_Nea
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 127

Post by Henu_Nea »

I have a dd that is starting 5th grade this year. I asked Dh about it. He's in the medical field and I started out in college pre-med and took class trips to morgues and similar exhibits. This was jarring as a college student. I don't think it's appropriate for a 5th grader.

Personally, I would be very interested to see the exhibit and find the intricacies of the human body facinating. However, I don't think my 5th grader could process the information or emotions that come up with dealing with human bodies, dissected and on display. I think it would desensitize these children even more than a lot of the exposure they get in our society.

JMO
ImageImage
Image Image
bumblebby
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 5

Post by bumblebby »

I would like to see that exhibit. A 5th grader? Only if my 5th grader expressed interest and seemed mature enough.
Kimandasmo
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 829

Post by Kimandasmo »

I guess I will be the outcast here and say YES YES YES-- we went and it was awesome-- I took 5 4th and 5th gradrers with us as well as a 6yo. They had a great time and found it to be very very intresting. They also found it very educational and asked lots of appropriate questions. The bodies dont look real--and I am not sure they really understood that these people were once alive--but I recommend it for everyone.
bluejeans7
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 571

Post by bluejeans7 »

I would have to say no!
baltoscrapper
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 358

Post by baltoscrapper »

I SO want to see that, I think it would be amazing.  I asked my 8 yo son if he wanted to go (I had the ad in hand) he took one look at the ad and said "no". 
I think it would be something more for a parent to do, not a school (at least for 5th graders) because while it might really upset some children, others would get great info and benefit from it.
I used to be a "celebrity cherry", but now I'm in re-hab...... Holy Carp!
Renee
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 353

Post by Renee »

I would love to see it but I don't think it's field trip material. I think if my child was mature enough and could handle the material I would be the one taking him to see it. I saw the 20/20 special and think that the exhibit looks so fascinating.  It is creepy that they're not saying where they get the bodies though... :?
scrapin4me
Cherry Picker
Gallery: 31

Post by scrapin4me »

I saw it...took my fourth grade son to see it..and my 6th grade daughter to see it....they were totally amazed and had tons of questions...very educational and well worth the trip...gives them a first hand look at what we look like from the inside out...
Jenn Kellams
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 402

Post by Jenn Kellams »

Renee wrote: I would love to see it but I don't think it's field trip material. I think if my child was mature enough and could handle the material I would be the one taking him to see it. I saw the 20/20 special and think that the exhibit looks so fascinating.  It is creepy that they're not saying where they get the bodies though... :?
You can go to the website, they do tell you. :)
Jennifer K.
Personal Blog
beachlover
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 1749

Post by beachlover »

no way, not 5th graders!  maybe a junior or senior science field trip though.  what is with this teacher?
Ann ~ Life is always better at the beach!
 view my blog (new) https://ourhideawayparadise.blogspot.com/ 

Return to “General Talk”