We're celebrating World Card Making Day with 20% off the regular price of everything! Use code CARDS20

MOM2SNOX

A Cherry on Top

Did you watch the Olympics Opening Ceremonies?
  Wow! I didn't watch the opening ceremonies last night but catching glimpses of it here and there while watching the different events.... Holy moley! They didn't spare any expense to create an incredible show! From what I HAVE seen... that's gotta be one of THE best opening ceremonies EVER!!

averys_mom

Cherry Cola

Re: Did you watch the Olympics Opening Ceremonies?
 I did, and it was the MOST AMAZING thing I've ever seen! It was awesome!  They obviously spared no expense on it.

MOM2SNOX

A Cherry on Top

Oh! I'm totally jealous now! Can you imagine being there?? That would have rocked my socks right off my feet! What an experience!

-Shannon-

Chocolate Covered Cherry

We watched it last night and yes, it was spectacular!! I could only imagine how it felt to be there in person.
- Shannon

I have an everyday religion that works for me. Love yourself first, and everything else falls into line.
-Lucille Ball

davsar

Cherry Cola

Aww - I wish I could see it!!
ImageImage

MOM2SNOX

A Cherry on Top

I'm hoping someone'll  sell it on DVD soon!

Gypsymonkey

Bowl Full of Cherries

I watched most of it as dh was channel flipping during part of it.  I have to say it was an Awesome opening ceremony!
"May you always have memories to scrap!" ~ Diana

MaBuglet

A Cherry on Top

I thought it was fantastic!!  I really enjoyed it.  And that little boy that walked with Yao Ming was so cute!!  What a little hero!  I'm such a sucker for fireworks...those were outstanding!
CHEERS~~

MOM2SNOX

A Cherry on Top

Apparently, this surpassed ANYONE's expectations... including the Ceremony Director. The "cubes" that spelled out Chinese words like "harmony", etc... went PERFECT last night! He stated they practiced EIGHT hours a day for four months (up to 10-12 hours a day in the past couple of weeks) and it NEVER panned out like it did last night! Talk about a LUCKY day!

wahoo_mom

Cherry Garcia

I didn't watch it, but after listening to "The Story" on NPR where the choreographer was interviewed, I really wish I had.
Heidi
Image ImageImageImage

SBcrazee

Cherry Jubilee

It was absolutely fantastic. The torch lightening was unbelievable.

But did anyone else feel like President Bush was sort of bored or uncomfortable? They showed him checking his watch once & he just did not seem comfortable in that seat at all. He spoke briefly with Vladimir Putin in the begining but thereafter he was just sitting there with nobody to talk with even though the first lady was by his side. I think they could have had better seating arrangements for the dignitaries. 
ImageImage

evilqueen

Chocolate Covered Cherry

I don't know if anybody else noticed but when the Chinese walked in the little boy that was walking with the baseball player, he chinese flag was wronge.  The flag was upside down.  It was probably made in china.
Here I come to save the day! Chas
I'm the crazy lizard lady
http://scrapinlizards.blogspot.com/

FairyMouseMom

Cherry Addict

Unfortunately, no.  I was busy with something else!
Egle ~ Let the things you love be your escape. ~
I am addicted to alphabets!....and papers.....and....

Image Image Image

MOM2SNOX

A Cherry on Top

FairyMouseMom wrote: Unfortunately, no.  I was busy with something else!
  Oh? Do tell Engle! You've got me curious now! What could have been MORE important than watching the opening of the 2008 Olympics???

SBcrazee

Cherry Jubilee

Guess 8/8/08 was lucky for you too huh? :greenlol:
ImageImage

MOM2SNOX

A Cherry on Top

SBcrazee wrote:
Guess 8/8/08 was lucky for you too huh? :greenlol: 
    ROFL! I was thinking the same Mel!!

wirsmom

Cherry Picker

Watched the whole thing!  The creative part (the beginning) was AWESOME.  

I thought it was a little strange how the military guys had the job of hoisting the flags - seemed a little bit of a "statement" to me.  But, heck, they were AWESOME too - I mean, did you get a load of their precision???!!!

I noticed that the little boy's flag was upside down - got a laugh out of that.

All of the performers probably had to practice every day for a year to make everything look so great.  All night my husband kept saying that they probably would get sent to a "reprograming" center if they screwed up (that's his anti-communist joke of the day).

Yeah, George W.  looked a little bit bored.  And what's with Lady Laura's smile - she looks like a cyborg! :-D
-Tracy

cubshan

Cherry Picker

One Word - AWESOME
Image Image

Art_Teacher

Cherry Crush

It was the most artistic live show I have seen in a long time.  Absolutely gorgeous!  I really loved the dancing/painting on the gigantic paper and then how all the Olympians walked across the big stamp pads to create a rainbow of color on the paper.  I thought the thing with the boxes was amazing...dh and I were arguing about whether it was people or hydraulics until they showed us at the end.  LOL!  More fireworks than I have ever seen, too.  It will be impossible to top that show at the next Olympics!

As for President Bush...it was a 5 hour ceremony, and he was sitting in stadium seating.  I don't know about you, but when I attend sporting events for 5 hours, my butt falls asleep and I am uncomfortable.  There are also times when I was bored, but I could get up and go get a drink or something to snack on.  I think it's pretty tough to have a camera trained on you all the time at an event like that. 

wirsmom said:
I thought it was a little strange how the military guys had the job of hoisting the flags - seemed a little bit of a "statement" to me.  But, heck, they were AWESOME too - I mean, did you get a load of their precision???!!!
I didn't think that was strange.  I mean, if the Olympics were here, our Armed Forces would probably be the ones hoisting the flag.  They do at almost every college and professional sporting event.
Laura
 Image    Image         

MOM2SNOX

A Cherry on Top

Art_Teacher wrote:It will be impossible to top that show at the next Olympics!

And since it's being hosted in London next, they won't even try to compete for Best Show.

wirsmom said:
I didn't think that was strange.  I mean, if the Olympics were here, our Armed Forces would probably be the ones hoisting the flag.  They do at almost every college and professional sporting event.

Exactly!  This was China's "Coming Out" and an estimated 400 million people were watching, the country that holds a 5th of the world's population HAD to make a statement.  And that they did!

Return to “General Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee