We're celebrating World Card Making Day with 20% off the regular price of everything! Use code CARDS20

Charliesangel

Cherry Cola

How do you deal with kids hitting
 I am DONE with it.  I have 2 boys ages 3 and 5 that are at it ALL DAY LONG!!!!  Starting at 7 in the morning til they go to bed at night.  Any ideas on how to handle this?????

ETA:  Most of they time they are just being "boys" wrestling and stuff like
that but they don't know when to stop!!!  Usually when one gets hurt. 
My dh was just saying the other night that we didn't have this hard of
a time with the girls.  They would go for days with out a time out. 
The boys....several times a day they are in there.  I did tell him
about this and we agreed we are going to do that and hope for the
best.  They are good kids just have a lot of energy!!
~Keira~
God determines who walks into your life....it's up to you to decide who you let walk away, who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go.

ajsmom

Sweet Cherry Pie

Re: How do you deal with kids hitting
 I started a zero tolerance for hitting when my boys and Sarah were little.  There just is no hitting or it was straight to a time out.  Til this day they don't hit.  Now if I could figure out how to keep their mouth's shut! :winkb:

jmo95

Cherry Cola

I too have a zero tolerance policy.  Elijanna use to love to hit.  At first I would warn her that if she hit she was going to time out.  That didn't work...it was like giving her a free turn to hit again.  So once I knew she understood she was not allowed to hit....she went straight to time out...no warning.  It has really cut down on the hiitting.  Being constant is key.  No matter where we are at this is the rule.  She knows mommy means business so to speak.
Jenn
Don't fear the challenge, challenge the fear.

Image Image

Jenn Kellams

Cherry Garcia

I think time out is effective.  THe length of time in is usually equal to the age.  Example, 3 years old gets three minutes.  When I taught preschool thats what we did.  Just don't hit back b/c it sends mixed signals.
Jennifer K.
Personal Blog

CarolinaGrl

Cherry Berry

Definitely agree. Timeout with the appropriate time... 3 yo gets 3 min.. 5 yop gets 5 min...
Stick to your guns. It will drive you mad at first but will be worth your time and efforts.

Good luck!!
ImageImageImageImage

MOM2SNOX

A Cherry on Top

Being consistent is definitely the key! And changing tactics periodically.  Alternating between time-outs, withholding privileges and separating them for awhile have been effective techniques at our house! Good luck :)

Renee

Chocolate Covered Cherry

I was going to agree with the timeouts...although I am sure for the first few days there will be MANY timeouts but they'll catch on! Good luck!

Kathy

Cherry Cropper

The ladies are giving you straight advice. Consistency, time outs, zero tolerance. It takes work to be an effective parent, but it can be done! Hang in there, and be firm!
Kathy
For His honor

craftyfool

Cherry Cola

How do I deal with kids hitting?

I tell them if they don't stop, I'm moving to Bermuda and not taking them with me.

Yeah...it doesn't work and I'm still not living in Bermuda.  MAybe I should take some of these ladies advice? ;)

Seriously - Everything they've said sounds good.  I use time outs and/or sticker charts so I have a punishment or a reward depending on the situation.  For the most part I have pretty well behaved kids, so I guess it's working.  Good Luck!

Gypsymonkey

Bowl Full of Cherries

ajsmom wrote: I started a zero tolerance for hitting when my boys and Sarah were little.  There just is no hitting or it was straight to a time out.  Til this day they don't hit.  Now if I could figure out how to keep their mouth's shut! :winkb:

Have you tried duct tape?  ;)
"May you always have memories to scrap!" ~ Diana

genggay

Cherry Blossom

these may worth a try..but how do you the time out? is it like face the wall thing? thanks for your tips

Return to “General Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee