Get FREE shipping with your $35 order with code FREESHIP35

ScrapEgypt

Cherry Bomb

so......DS#2 lends his headphones......
to a friend at school today.  He gets them back at the end of the school day, but doesn't look at them until he gets home - where he realizes that they are broken.  He is - understandably - upset......but he is really going overboard about it!   He hasn't been able to reach the girl who had the headphones yet....but I told him that he needs to approach her about replacing the headphones (well, giving him the money to replace them). OR.......if he can pay for a new pair himself.  BUT.....he wants ME to pay for a new pair!!!   As it is....it will cost me about $10 in extra shipping just to get them here (which I am willing to pay because we're the ones who decided to move to the middle of nowhere!) - but I don't think I should pay for something that got broken because HE decided to lend it to a friend!What do you guys think/?????
Cielle

ImageImage Image

ArmyWife95

Chocolate Covered Cherry

I agree and you are justified in saying no, I'm not paying for another pair.

Renee

Chocolate Covered Cherry

No...I don't think you should have to pay for them either. If he's without them until he gets the girl to replace them I can bet you he wont lend them out again! Either that or you could "lend" him the money until he gets the money from the girl...then she could reimburse YOU. Good luck...

Queen Mum

Cherry Addict

That will teach him to be a bit more careful about lending his stuff out. 

It is his stuff and his responsiblity to take care of it - and if it gets broken in his care (He made the decision to lend it to the friend) he needs to replace it if he wants another one.

NJTheresa

Cherry Cola

nope I wouldnt pay either. I think its a good lesson to learn.
ImageImageImageImage

baltoscrapper

Bowl Full of Cherries

I wouldn't pay and I wouldn't "loan" him the money either. Than he has no reason to ask the girl for the $$.

Janshotgun

Cherry Cola

It sounds like he wants to avoid a confrontation with the girl - he's probably embarassed! But, he should be encouraged to approach her anyway and solve the problem himself (maybe with some coaching from you as to what he should say to her).  It will make him think twice about loaning stuff out, when he knows he will be responsible for it.

Laura Fiore

Wild Cherry

Him asking for help replacing them might also teach the girl to be a good borrower...it's too bad she didn't speak up when she gave them back to him!Lesson learned for him...poor kid. Sometimes learning responsibility is so hard!

imwickedwitch

Cherry Cola

He learns a valuable lesson about loaning out his property if he pays for them himself.  If you buy them, he learns that there are no consequences for his actions.
Becky

Image Image Image

ScrapEgypt

Cherry Bomb

Thanks!  Glad to know it wasn't just me being "Mean Mom" again!He did talk to the girl this evening and she said she didn't know anything about them being broken.  I don't know whether that's true or not, but I don't think I"m going to push it too hard.  He did what I asked - which was to approach her and ask.  I think that was a big step for him.  He is generally pretty responsible with his techno-gadget stuff, so I think this has taught him a good lesson.   Haven't decided the next step......will deal with that tomorrow!  I've had enough trauma for one night!!!!
Cielle

ImageImage Image

davsar

Cherry Cola

No, you shouldn't have to pay for them.

scrapaholic

Chocolate Covered Cherry

I'm with you, I wouldn't pay to replace them.
Have a coke and a smile!Image

baltoscrapper

Bowl Full of Cherries

I'd still have him pay for the replacements himself.  Kudos for being able to confront the girl,but STILL, he needs to learn that lending your stuff comes with consequences.

Return to “General Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee