Baby Names

Moderator: ACOT Employee

MacSarah
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 276

Re: Baby Names

Post by MacSarah »

I have met both a Temperance and a Farran.

I wanted my kids to have names that were not so common that there were 8 in a class (having been scarred in 4th grade by being labeled "Sarah 5"), but common enough that people would be able to spell, and pronounce them easily.  They also had to have nicknames, because I never had one, and desperately wanted one.  So their names are Marlayna Lynne (Layna) and Liberty Alan (Libby).

My mom is an OB nurse and she has seen some crazy names during her career!

When I had braces there was a girl who went to the same orthodontist named Crystal, here last name was Kleer.
~Sarah~
citygirl22
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 175

Post by citygirl22 »

Our Bible study leaders have a daughter named Temperance. I think it is such a pretty name! My best friend had a daughter and named her Evangeline. Not unusual, but just uncommon - at least around here. I also know a little Naveena and a Taleigha. 

When I was in college, I was obsessed with names of cities/places. Brooklyn and London were at the top of my list. Then I married a man whose last name is Ho ... needless to say, we're not naming our children after a city. "Brooklyn Ho" ... let that sink in for a second, lol. Image
Stephanie
I blog @ Skyline Paperie
Scrap Bug
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 240

Post by Scrap Bug »

Laura wrote:I am just starting to see my dd's name come up on some things.  Her name is Michaela.  There's always Mikayla and other variations, but never in her spelling.  She's named after my hubby!

My son, no problem there . . . he's an Adam. 

My daughter's name is Michaela as well!  We went with the original spelling - all the others are fancy knock-offs.  LOL  Often times we can't find her spelling, but there have been many times we have on little souvenir things.  It seems a lot of ppl now are naming their kids different spellings than the original, and I've noticed more and more personalized items with different spellings on them.  With my son we can usually find personalized items with his spelling (Derek) which is also the original spelling, but there are a lot of Derricks as well. 

I actually like unique names if they sound pretty to me, not just for the sake of being different.  I remember my cousin having neighbors when we were kids who were Sandy, Windy and Stormy.  Sandy and Stormy were boys.  I grew up with kids whose parents were hippies, so yeah - a lot of my classmates had weird names.

Someone I know here named her dd Ceili, and when she did a poll on FB, she got upset when most of us guessed it was pronounced Seeley.  It's Kaylee.  Her first poll was for Ceilidh, and was upset when most of us guessed See-lid.  She was trying to prove a point with her dh, and was proven wrong.  He put his foot down on that spelling, so she went with the other.  The name isn't unusual, but the spelling sure is.  
Melissa
Scrap Bug
Cherry Bomb

Post by Scrap Bug »

citygirl22 wrote:When I was in college, I was obsessed with names of cities/places. Brooklyn and London were at the top of my list. Then I married a man whose last name is Ho ... needless to say, we're not naming our children after a city. "Brooklyn Ho" ... let that sink in for a second, lol. Image
I got a chuckle out of that.  Image
Melissa
oceanbreezes423
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 2155

Post by oceanbreezes423 »

I have a nephew who really outdid himself on names. Different is one thing, names that will cause teasing is another! He has 2 son's named Jester and Sphinx. I think they are terrible!!!
ImageSusan  Image   Image  Image
Scrap Bug
Cherry Bomb

Post by Scrap Bug »

oceanbreezes423 wrote:I have a nephew who really outdid himself on names. Different is one thing, names that will cause teasing is another! He has 2 son's named Jester and Sphinx. I think they are terrible!!!
They sound like cat names.
Melissa
Charleneanne
Cherry Delight
Gallery: 1504

Post by Charleneanne »

My sister who was born in 1944 is named Vevagene - all one name and no middle name.  My sister never legally changed her name but she has been known by Genie since she was about 12.  lol
And my best friend from since I was 10 is Floyd Dean but she goes by Deana.
My great niece is naming her little girl Nala when she is born in about 5-6 weeks but I hear that is a name from a Disney movie.
Oh and my dad and brother have the first name of Pelum.  Daddy was named after his mom's younger half sister's German DH.  Apparently common back in a previous century in Germany but my dad and my brother are the only ones I know that had/have it in this century.
Charleneanne
Cherry Delight
Gallery: 1504

Post by Charleneanne »

BTW  Temperance is the name of the main character in the long running TV series "Bones" and as such has become quite popular again.  
mgehrke
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 2213

Post by mgehrke »

I really didn't want common names or hard to pronounce names for my girls, but I also didn't want to go of the deep end either. I also didn't want anyone to be able to give them a nickname as I had one growing up and hated it.  So we named them Amber and Tawney. When we had Amber, her name was not as common as it is today. As for Tawney I have only heard this name once and it is spelled without the e. No nicknames have come out of them and that has made me happy.
Mildred - Mom to 2 girls and a husband (I tell people that I am a single mom of 3. Ages 59, 37 and 31) lol. And a proud Grandma to Orahn (7) Sawyer (5) and Mazie (3).

ImageImageImageImageImage
blbabe1234
Cherry Bark
Gallery: 3732

Post by blbabe1234 »

ScrappyBug wrote:
citygirl22 wrote:When I was in college, I was obsessed with names of cities/places. Brooklyn and London were at the top of my list. Then I married a man whose last name is Ho ... needless to say, we're not naming our children after a city. "Brooklyn Ho" ... let that sink in for a second, lol. Image
I got a chuckle out of that.  Image

*snort* *giggle*
Brandy 🐾 🐾 ❤️

ImageImage   ImageImageImage
average_kim
Cherry Cropper
Gallery: 846

Post by average_kim »

This just goes to show that someone out there might have the same name . . . my uncle had a son named Farren.  Not sure on the spelling, lol.

When my sister-in-law was getting grandchildren, she helped name them with names I'd never heard before:  Journey, Liberty, and Legend.  But lately it seems like they are becoming common around here!
Kim

Image Image  
1grandma
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 187

Post by 1grandma »

ammielou wrote:My DD name is tiana, it was that or tiara. And another couple who had a daughter on the same day had named theirs that, I Tianna it was. I always hated that she never had a chance to get personalized items, but now since the Disney movie the frog princess, she can!!
 she named her daughter Marnie.
There was a movie by the name of Marnie. 
Bibi
average_kim
Cherry Cropper

Post by average_kim »

sweetsour wrote:
Ayla wrote:One of the docs I work with just had twin baby girls,.....6-9 and 6-15 at birth! Talk about a huge belly, as they went 38 weeks lol. Anyway....they named the babies Kyle Kathryn and Ryan Michelle. Unusual for girls, but I think they are awesome!

Isn't it funny, a lot of boys names are accepted for girls, but not vice versa...  Can you imagine naming them Kathryn Kyle and Michelle Ryan if they were boys?  not quite so awesome!  lol
This is true.  But some names that we consider girl names now, were once masculine names.  What was the guy's name on Gone With the Wind? --
Ashley.  I'm thinking Shelby, too.  And, I know an older man (maybe 70ish) named Lindsay, and I taught a young man (about 15 years ago) who was named Lindsay--but his nick name was "Oogie."
Kim

Image Image  
1grandma
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 187

Post by 1grandma »

My name is Bibiana.  That is a very old name.  I love it when someone calls me by my entire name, but usually I just get called Bibi, pronounced, "B B".
Bibi
average_kim
Cherry Cropper

Post by average_kim »

I knew of someone (I saw it in a local phone book) named Davy Crockett.

And some young people around here have named their son Dagger Bane.  They loved the name Bane from one of the Batman movies.  But I just wanted to tell them to check a dictionary, and Dagger?  You're asking for a bar fight on that one! 
Kim

Image Image  
Monroe1218
Cherry Cropper
Gallery: 97

Post by Monroe1218 »

I have a friend named - Luthien Tinuviel... Her name comes from the Tolkien series... I think maybe Lord of the Rings.  Previously, I worked at a cheerleading/gymnastics gym and boy did we see some names.
Patience is one that sticks out!
Rebecca

cajenkins81
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 256

Post by cajenkins81 »

I loved the name Olivia so we have one of those and just so happens there are other Olivias lol, as it's the top 5 girls name currently (or somethign like that lol).  I wanted something not so common for our boy. When I was pregnant with Olivia we had Alexander (Alex) picked out but by the time my 2nd pregnancy came around I was over that! lol. But hubs wasn't, so I had to find a name he'd like better than Alex. And so Owen is what we got and I love it and it's not in the top 20 or more, last time I checked. Tho it is starting to make a comeback. 

My MIL and FIL had a girl where they teach high school whose legal name was "Baby Girl." When she turned 16 she asked to have her name legally changed and I think she picked something like "Denise" lol. 

I've heard of Temperance, it's one of the older Puritan names, like Faith, Charity, Prudence, etc. 

If I had another girl I was going to name her Vada. Just love that name Image
Carolyn, mommy to Olivia (precocious preschooler) and Owen (rambunctious toddler).

2013 Page Totals: April - 3. May - 17. June - 25. July - 20. Aug - 20, 2 tags. Sept - 5. Oct - 13. Nov - 8. Dec - 14 LO, 2 projects, 1 card. 
Year: 125, 1 card, 2 projects, 2 tags 
2014 Page Totals: Jan - 15, 2 cards. Feb - 9, 1 project. Mar - 21 (I was busy!) (45 this year already)

My New Blog! Scrapper, Interrupted
Scrap Bug
Cherry Bomb

Post by Scrap Bug »

average_kim wrote:
sweetsour wrote:
Ayla wrote:One of the docs I work with just had twin baby girls,.....6-9 and 6-15 at birth! Talk about a huge belly, as they went 38 weeks lol. Anyway....they named the babies Kyle Kathryn and Ryan Michelle. Unusual for girls, but I think they are awesome!

Isn't it funny, a lot of boys names are accepted for girls, but not vice versa...  Can you imagine naming them Kathryn Kyle and Michelle Ryan if they were boys?  not quite so awesome!  lol
This is true.  But some names that we consider girl names now, were once masculine names.  What was the guy's name on Gone With the Wind? --
Ashley.  I'm thinking Shelby, too.  And, I know an older man (maybe 70ish) named Lindsay, and I taught a young man (about 15 years ago) who was named Lindsay--but his nick name was "Oogie."
I know Shelby is a girl name too, and Steel Magnolias comes to mind, but personally I have only known shelbys who were boys.
Melissa
sweetsour
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 898

Post by sweetsour »

Speaking of Faith Hope and Charity,  know a girl named Chastity, she hates it.  

Karrie

cynderellaj
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 576

Post by cynderellaj »

My Brother and SIL, named their last son Xannon (zannon).  At first I didn't like it, but it has grown on me...only I have to be careful when I write it because I so often want to put a Z instead of an X. 

However, he has a great grandma who just can't remember and keeps calling him Xerox.......poor kid!!!
Image Image Image
Cyndi
I NEED SA - Scrappers Anonymous!!!

Return to “General Talk”