Get FREE shipping with your $35 order with code FREESHIP35

AlwaysHappy

Cherry Cola

Re: Wow - Need some work related advice!
amberella wrote:Well that's just cruel! I'm pretty sure I remember you saying you told them you were concerned because you were buying a house and stuff - now they turn around and do this to you? I would dump them on their a$$ just out of spite - let them figure out how to train a replacement when they don't even have a clue what they're doing in the first place! :x :x
If nothing else, it'll be more time for you to focus on the house, and looking for a new job. Definitely call the other place and mention you'd be willing to negotiate salary and that you're very interested in the position and could start immediately!

Good luck!!! :)
I agree with this suggestion. Besides, when you are layed off, dont they have to give you two weeks severence pay anyway? I thought that was the way it works. They actually didn't fire you because if they had fired you, they wouldn't be asking you to stay two more weeks. This whole thing just isn't right and like one other person said, if they don't think you can do the job well enough, then why would they want you to train another person. There is no way I would give them the satisfaction of staying and training someone else. I too feel sorry for the new person, but I'm afraid I would have to let my self respect take priority in this situation. Keep your chin up and hang in there.
Image ImageImage

Kitkat137

Sweet Cherry Pie

If you can't afford to live and pay bills without that paycheck, I would stay the two weeks and work. People put up with a lot worse for a paycheck; so, don't get down on yourself for staying longer if you need to.

If possible, request an exit interview with HR or the manager to tell them how you feel and what they should do to change their company.
Kat >^..^<

Image Image Image

AmyTeets

Digital Designers

First, I'm sorry they did that to you! And second there's no way I would stay and train someone! I'd file unemployment before I did that! Even though it stinks now, there's a reason why things happen. Maybe this happened because there's a better opportunity waiting for you ;)
Amy Teets Designs

My Blog
Facebook
Semper Fi

Snag Me!

Grandma Flowers

Cherry Cropper

I'm so sorry this happened to you, especially now that you're buying a house. But I'm a firm believer that things happen for a reason.
Image Image Image Image

---Jan---

JeanG

Cherry Cola

If you end up staying the 2 weeks to train your replacement...I'd do a damn poor job of training her in your position!!
I wonder, sometimes, if we ever give God a headache.

MOM2SNOX

A Cherry on Top

Ooooo... this would totally burn me up! Sorry to hear you're going through this :(
As for the decision to remain and train the replacement.... Just to be the spiteful wench I know I can be, I'd stay and train the person. Incorrectly! They sound like the kind of people who will blame you for her mistakes anyway!
Trish ~ It's all fun and games until somebody loses an EYELET!

MOM2SNOX

A Cherry on Top

JeanG wrote:If you end up staying the 2 weeks to train your replacement...I'd do a damn poor job of training her in your position!!

GMTA! LOL! I didn't see you post before I posted mine!!
Trish ~ It's all fun and games until somebody loses an EYELET!

Queen Mum

Cherry Addict

DO NOT SCREW THINGS UP! Never burn your bridges!

Did they not give you any warning? You may have a case for wrongful dismissal.

But I would hope that you get the new job!
Queen Mum - Grammy to Princess Bump (Lisa Giann) and Princess Bean (Gia Bella)

Queen Mum

Cherry Addict

Do not stay to train the other person - after all, you don't know enough about the job according to them. But first, ask them why they want you to train that person if, as they say, you don't know enough about the job.
Queen Mum - Grammy to Princess Bump (Lisa Giann) and Princess Bean (Gia Bella)

denisescrap

Cherry Blossom

I would walk No One needs that sh@@ start a new with new Co. one that needs you!
kings1.gif" border="0" alt="LA kings Pictures, Images and Photos"/></a>

Ayla

Cherry Addict

I've been following this for a couple of days, wondering what I would do. My heart aches for what you are going thru. I was fired from a job once....during the probationary initial 90 day period. One of the other nurses admitted to a friend later (a mutual co worker...this other nurse didn't know we were friends) that she had decided she didn't like me and was going to get rid of me. She did it by lying about me, and there was nothing I could do about it. It shook my self confidence to the extreme. I had always done a good job, and to be subject to the whims of one person was devastating.

That said....don't burn bridges. They may someday realize what they lost in you, and that would give you a bargaining chip someday. Besides...sometimes the best satisfaction is leaving on a high note. I am fully with you on doing the reports on Tuesday....so that your work situation is reported correctly. Perhaps you can meet with the owners/managers, whomever you reported to and whom fired you, and discuss ...what exactly do you want me to teach this new person? You said you weren't happy with my work, so what items would you want me to address? And plan your further strategy from there. As tempting as it may be to "shove it to them"... it might also get around and hurt your future chances in another position.
 Image Image
You don't quit playing because you grow old....you grow old because you quit playing.

letumom

Cherry Jubilee

Ayla wrote:I've been following this for a couple of days, wondering what I would do. My heart aches for what you are going thru. I was fired from a job once....during the probationary initial 90 day period. One of the other nurses admitted to a friend later (a mutual co worker...this other nurse didn't know we were friends) that she had decided she didn't like me and was going to get rid of me. She did it by lying about me, and there was nothing I could do about it. It shook my self confidence to the extreme. I had always done a good job, and to be subject to the whims of one person was devastating.

That said....don't burn bridges. They may someday realize what they lost in you, and that would give you a bargaining chip someday. Besides...sometimes the best satisfaction is leaving on a high note. I am fully with you on doing the reports on Tuesday....so that your work situation is reported correctly. Perhaps you can meet with the owners/managers, whomever you reported to and whom fired you, and discuss ...what exactly do you want me to teach this new person? You said you weren't happy with my work, so what items would you want me to address? And plan your further strategy from there. As tempting as it may be to "shove it to them"... it might also get around and hurt your future chances in another position.

I so agree with this approach. You don't want to wreck any future chances you might have. You never know who these folks might know, and their talk during a chance meeting with someone that you are interviewing with might hurt you.

Good luck tomorrow and Tuesday, and keep us posted.
Laurie

sarahwhithers

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Well, I've pretty much decided that I'm going to go in on Tuesday, do the payroll, make sure I get paid and my employment record gets sent. But That will be it. I'm not going to help that company out in any way. Since I probably can't even go for unemployment, there's no point in staying there. They don't deserve my "knowledge" to train someone else, so screw them. Instead I'll be able to get stuff done around the house like some unpacking, getting rid of all the weeds in the garden and relax and get some scrap booking done. The idea of me helping them out, just doesn't fly with me. So it might be a burnt bridge, but I'll tell them straight out, that you're letting me go because I don't have enough knowledge, than why in the world would you want me to train the person? I'm leaving that up to you knowledgeable people.

So that's my plan at least. I think in the end, I'll be happier that way.

Thanks for all the support guys!

TraciL

Cherry Garcia

sarahwhithers wrote:Well, I've pretty much decided that I'm going to go in on Tuesday, do the payroll, make sure I get paid and my employment record gets sent. But That will be it. I'm not going to help that company out in any way. Since I probably can't even go for unemployment, there's no point in staying there. They don't deserve my "knowledge" to train someone else, so screw them. Instead I'll be able to get stuff done around the house like some unpacking, getting rid of all the weeds in the garden and relax and get some scrap booking done. The idea of me helping them out, just doesn't fly with me. So it might be a burnt bridge, but I'll tell them straight out, that you're letting me go because I don't have enough knowledge, than why in the world would you want me to train the person? I'm leaving that up to you knowledgeable people.

I totally agree with your thoughts........hope your last day goes fast. I think you are right that you probably couldn't get un-employment anyway but it never hurts to check.

-Tracy-

Wild Cherry

sarahwhithers wrote:Well, I've pretty much decided that I'm going to go in on Tuesday, do the payroll, make sure I get paid and my employment record gets sent. But That will be it. I'm not going to help that company out in any way. Since I probably can't even go for unemployment, there's no point in staying there. They don't deserve my "knowledge" to train someone else, so screw them. Instead I'll be able to get stuff done around the house like some unpacking, getting rid of all the weeds in the garden and relax and get some scrap booking done. The idea of me helping them out, just doesn't fly with me. So it might be a burnt bridge, but I'll tell them straight out, that you're letting me go because I don't have enough knowledge, than why in the world would you want me to train the person? I'm leaving that up to you knowledgeable people.

Why wouldn't you be able to get unemployment?
On a molecular level, I'm very busy.

handerful

Cherry Cropper

It's a sucky situation to be in, but if you have nothing else lined up, I would stay and collect their pay check. 1 - This will give them a chance to change their minds - 2 - it will give them a chance to miss you when you're gone... 3 - like someone said - you don't want to burn bridges.
Image Image
RACHEL

sarahwhithers

Chocolate Covered Cherry

-Tracy- wrote:

Why wouldn't you be able to get unemployment?

Because they are are re-filling my position, it would probably be considered that they are firing me. I will attempt to get it, but it probably won't go through. Our unemployment will only be approved if I get laid off, not fired.

sarahwhithers

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Well I went to work, was civil, showed the new girl a little bit of a bunch of stuff, she didn't write much down, so we'll see if it stuck. In any case, I showed her how to do payroll and away I went. Told Sharon I'm leaving and not coming back, and that was it. Said good-bye to a few of the employees and out the door I went. Never to go back.

I called the other place I had a interview with, let them know that I am negotiable on wage and can start right away, and he called right back and said, come on in for a second interview tomorrow (with the owner and other accountant), so here's hoping!!

amberella

Cherry Bomb

Sounds promising! Good luck! ;) :-D
AmberImageImage
ImageImage

aceason

Cherry Bing

Good for you! Sounds like it will all work out. Good luck!

Return to “General Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee