Get FREE shipping with your $35 order with code FREESHIP35

lilkoala3

Bowl Full of Cherries

Re: ethical situation
Just playing devil's advocate here...

How sick is his mother? Does she want to live or die? Obviously, it should be HER decision, not his. So do you think this was a selfish request on his part or do you think this is something she wants also?

I ask because my mother has told me repeatedly that if she gets to a certain point physically and mentally, she would want to die. She has told me that she wants me to pull the proverbial plug if she gets to a certain point. Of course, she's not asking me to actually KILL her, but if I'm at the point where a choice has to be made, she wants to die.

She's also told me that she doesn't want to suffer. Of course, assisted suicide is ILLEGAL, but I think that in some cases, it IS the moral/ethical thing to do.

I'm just saying that if my mother was suffering, and I know that she would want to die, I don't think I'd be above asking someone to do it.

Perhaps I'm naive, but I don't think very many people would want someone to kill their mother because it was just too much of an inconvenience for them to keep that person alive. If I'm wrong, and he is just a bad person, I find that unfathomable.
Leslie

meteechtap

Cherry Cola

So so sorry you had to go thru that! I hope if I ever have that same situation I would also report it!
~Janet~Image Image Image
Celebrity Cherry 5/10 , Guest Ct 5/11

Retiree3

Wild Cherry

That is so sad. I'm sorry that happened to you.
[
Donna-Retiree3-Proud Grandmother of Three Boys!

[highlight=#000000][/highlight]

JulianaM

Cherry Bomb

that person is crazy sick! yikes!

imwickedwitch

Cherry Cola

Best to report it no matter what the circumstances and get the situation out in the open and sorted out. Otherwise, if something suspicious happened who knows what kind of mess you could find yourself in? Hugs to you girl, and hang in there!
Becky

Image Image Image

scrappininAK

Cherry Jubilee

I can't believe he would want that or ask you to do it. So glad you were there to protect her
Heather

My Blog Unleashed
My Etsy Store CutMania
CutMania Newsletter Sign Up

Keling

Cherry Jubilee

I'd report it to someone, especially if she is really sick in hospital. This way others know to protect her.
Sara

megamay

Cherry Cola

lilkoala3 wrote:Just playing devil's advocate here...

How sick is his mother? Does she want to live or die? Obviously, it should be HER decision, not his. So do you think this was a selfish request on his part or do you think this is something she wants also?

I ask because my mother has told me repeatedly that if she gets to a certain point physically and mentally, she would want to die. She has told me that she wants me to pull the proverbial plug if she gets to a certain point. Of course, she's not asking me to actually KILL her, but if I'm at the point where a choice has to be made, she wants to die.

She's also told me that she doesn't want to suffer. Of course, assisted suicide is ILLEGAL, but I think that in some cases, it IS the moral/ethical thing to do.

I'm just saying that if my mother was suffering, and I know that she would want to die, I don't think I'd be above asking someone to do it.

Perhaps I'm naive, but I don't think very many people would want someone to kill their mother because it was just too much of an inconvenience for them to keep that person alive. If I'm wrong, and he is just a bad person, I find that unfathomable.

I was thinking the same thing. Still totally wrong of him to ask you and totally illegal and insensitive and so many other things and Im glad that you reported him. Im not a nurse but I wouldnt have known what to do about it - other than say no of course. but well, I guess I have a different take on assisted suicide than a lot of people. (not that what he was asking is assisted suicide but not knowing the whole story it could be part of the issue here)

see, my grandmother was really sick, dying and in tons of pain from intestinal cancer, and my grandfather finally agreed to help her end her life. but, he didn't want to help her and still live, and he didnt want to go to jail, so he killed himself too. simultaneously. (legally it was probably ruled a murder suicide) I was just a toddler, so while it's painful, it is something I can sort of look at objectively. my dad (they were his parents) didnt blame his mother because she was just that sick that everyone knew that death was a relief for her, but he wished his father would have stayed around for him. I just wonder, if assisted suicide were legal, if maybe I would still have a grandfather.

Queen Mum

Cherry Addict

What jerks some people are.

I'm so glad you reported this. I hope they don't let him in the room alone with his mother!
Queen Mum - Grammy to Princess Bump (Lisa Giann) and Princess Bean (Gia Bella)

ShellyBob

Sweet Cherry Pie

I can't imagine what he was thinking to ask that of you! Glad you reported it to everyone involved so that if anything happens it does not come back on you.
A bad day on vacation, beats a good day at work!

handerful

Cherry Cropper

That is crazy. Good for you for standing up to him & not just blowing him off.
Image Image
RACHEL

Henu_Nea

Cherry Cola

wow..I can't imagine. Either his mother is very ill and he is desperate to find her some relief or he's a VERY sick and selfish individual....Either way...So sad for his mother.
ImageImage
Image Image

lilkoala3

Bowl Full of Cherries

megamay wrote:
lilkoala3 wrote:Just playing devil's advocate here...

I was thinking the same thing. Still totally wrong of him to ask you and totally illegal and insensitive and so many other things and Im glad that you reported him. Im not a nurse but I wouldnt have known what to do about it - other than say no of course. but well, I guess I have a different take on assisted suicide than a lot of people. (not that what he was asking is assisted suicide but not knowing the whole story it could be part of the issue here)

see, my grandmother was really sick, dying and in tons of pain from intestinal cancer, and my grandfather finally agreed to help her end her life. but, he didn't want to help her and still live, and he didnt want to go to jail, so he killed himself too. simultaneously. (legally it was probably ruled a murder suicide) I was just a toddler, so while it's painful, it is something I can sort of look at objectively. my dad (they were his parents) didnt blame his mother because she was just that sick that everyone knew that death was a relief for her, but he wished his father would have stayed around for him. I just wonder, if assisted suicide were legal, if maybe I would still have a grandfather.

Meg, your story is heartbreaking, but I'm glad you shared it. Rarely are issues like assisted suicide cut and dry, black and white issues.
Leslie

RitaS

Cherry Bing

Wow - you were put in a position that makes me wonder how often day care nurses are approached with something like this!! It really just blows my mind - in training do they ever bring this up so you are not scarred for the rest of your career? I am glad you reported it and so glad you took time to hold his mother's hand.

Meg - HUGS to you.

I too, would not want to be kept alive on life support, etc. if I were ever in an accident and became a vegetable, etc. So what have I done about that? Nothing. I guess this brings home the importance of a living will and signing such appropriate forms so my immediate family members are never put in a tough situation.
Rita S

Life is about second chances. There would be no hope if God didn't give us another.

Return to “General Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee