Flashback Friday 6-12

Moderator: ACOT Employee

Flasher
Cherry Crush
Gallery: 323

Flashback Friday 6-12

Post by Flasher »

While this picture is definitely more modern, how many of you Cherries are old enough to remember taking a class in a room that resembles this . . . you know, a CLASSIC Home Economics class?

Do you remember your first projects?
OCD is not an adjective.  It is not a personality quirk. It is not synonymous with being organized.  It is a complex and debilitating mental health illness that affects people of all ages and walks of life, and is defined by the presence of unwanted, intrusive thoughts and repetitive actions. 💙 I am an OCD warrior and I fight for my son. 💙

Flasher
Cherry Crush
Gallery: 323

Re: Flashback Friday 6-12

Post by Flasher »

I do!  In sewing the first thing I made was a tomato pin cushion.  And in cooking, the first thing was a Waldorf Salad!
OCD is not an adjective.  It is not a personality quirk. It is not synonymous with being organized.  It is a complex and debilitating mental health illness that affects people of all ages and walks of life, and is defined by the presence of unwanted, intrusive thoughts and repetitive actions. 💙 I am an OCD warrior and I fight for my son. 💙

oceanbreezes423
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 2144

Post by oceanbreezes423 »

I made place mats and a stuffed mouse. Really not sure what I made for food, lol.
ImageSusan  Image   Image  Image
DN in MN
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 446

Post by DN in MN »

Oh my gosh... yes!  I made an apron :) 
2024 Layout goal ~ 14/100      2024 Word ~ FOCUS

Art_Teacher
Cherry Crush
Gallery: 2337

Post by Art_Teacher »

I always wanted to take Home Ec, but never could fit it in because of taking Band and Art. ;) My dear, departed Mother-in-law was the teacher at my high school! But, that is not how I met dh. We met in 4-H, where I got to do all the cooking and sewing. ;)
Laura
 Image    Image     Image  Image  Image
VALERIE 03/22
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 449

Post by VALERIE 03/22 »

OH YES I REMEMBER THIS CLASSROOM SETTING..... DON'T REMEMBER WHAT WE COOKED FIRST BUT SEWING CLASS I MADE A PILLOW WITH LACE AROUND IT & MY SECOND PROJECT WAS A TUBE TOP..... BOY WAS I ALL THUMBS WITH THE SEWING MACHINE STILL AM..... VALERIE
sdwhru
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 358

Post by sdwhru »

never took a home economics class
emmapaige
Chatty Cherry
Gallery: 2463

Post by emmapaige »

It's been a long time but I think I made an apron.

And for some reason I remember us making Welsh Rarebit.  I forgot what the dish was but looking it up, it doesn't seem like much cooking required.
** Chris **

My blog: http://mommomandpoppop.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImage Image

shoorn
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 2864

Post by shoorn »

Oh my yes - I remember Home Ec! I think it was 4th grade when I started. We had cooking classes and sewing classes.  The first time we cooked something - it was scrambled eggs, and the first thing that I sewed something - it was an apron. 
Hi everyone!    Image   My name is Susan and I love to scrapbook!

Image ImageImage   Image
Donna_Coughlin
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 549

Post by Donna_Coughlin »

I remember in 7th grade we started Home-Ec. We made the BEST coconut Easter eggs.  My mom and I would make them for years! Then we stopped and I was never able to find the recipe. 
I just remember it used Pudding, and paraffin wax in the chocolate, Maybe used Hershey bars. ( OF course other things) 
Donna
ImageImageImage
blbabe1234
Cherry Bark
Gallery: 3709

Post by blbabe1234 »

We had a home ec class back in 7th grade. Can't remember all that we did, but food wise I made choc. chip cookies and homemade pizza!
Brandy 🐾 🐾 ❤️

ImageImage   ImageImageImage
pawprints
A Cherry on Top
Gallery: 1052

Post by pawprints »

I remember Home Ec. The first thing I sewed was an apron. I don't remember doing any cooking, but I remember learning all about sewing and patterns and making clothes. I loved it! My parents got me a sewing machine for Christmas and I used to sew clothes for my sister's dolls and then made us dresses for a wedding that we went to. I even made myself a two piece bathing suit once. Lol. A two piece. Omg I can't even! LOL!!!

Image Image Image

average_kim
Cherry Cropper
Gallery: 846

Post by average_kim »

Our home-EC room was similar with a kitchen on each side of the room. The sewing machines and classroom were in an adjoining room.

I took Home-EC 4 years 9th-12th grades. It was either that or Vo-ag at our school!

One of the first things I made was banana pudding, and I turned the burner on high and told one of the boys who wanted to be in my group to stir the pot of milk! The recipe said to boil! Lol. Our home-ec teacher flipped out at him, because it almost scorched!

And the first sewing project I made was a purple jersey knit tank dress. But the skirt part was gathered, and didn't look good on me, lol.
Kim

Image Image  
VickiR
Cherry Cropper
Gallery: 1384

Post by VickiR »

For sure!  From 7th grade on through high school.  Sewing half the year and cooking the other!
suewho372
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 948

Post by suewho372 »

I had it in 7 th grade! I made drawstring pants lol! I do not remember what food we made though.
Susan

Berta R.
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 627

Post by Berta R. »

I definitely remember making an apron.  And the words of my teacher regarding kitchen cleanup..."You're not done doing dishes until the SINK is cleaned  and everything dry around it."  That has stuck with me all these years.  :-D
***Berta***
Charleneanne
Cherry Delight
Gallery: 1500

Post by Charleneanne »

My first sewing project was an apron. This was circa 1956-57. I used to get “speeding” tickets for sewing too fast! First foods we learned to make were for breakfast. Scrambled eggs and hot cereals. I don’t like to sew and my grandma did all the cooking at home. This was not a fav class for me. Didn’t help my sister was teachers pet. lol
Deanna13
A Cherry on Top
Gallery: 5433

Post by Deanna13 »

oh yes! I loved Home Ec and we had a wonderful teacher!
Image Image ImageImage
blfonty
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 992

Post by blfonty »

Not sure about the room style, but had Home Ec all the way from Jr. High through HS. I made a lot of my clothes for many years. Cooking I don't remember as much.
blfonty a.k.a. Bonnie

Aztam
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 699

Post by Aztam »

I had sewing for the 1st semester, and we made a potholder for our initial assignment. I remember making snickerdoodle cookies in the cooking portion. I had never had them before and they smelled so delicious when baking.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Tam

Return to “General Talk”