Update on Tucker

Moderator: ACOT Employee

mgehrke
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 2212

Update on Tucker

Post by mgehrke »

I'm sorry it took me so long to get online and update everyone on Tucker. We have had a busy night last night and also a busy day today.

The vet thinks he might have a herniated disc. Of course, they won't know unless we get at CT scan done, but it is something I cannot afford. The vet is starting him on steroids, but he can't start them until Sunday evening. A medicine he was on, will have bad reactions with the steroids, so that is why we have to wait. He will be on them for 2 weeks, but has to go back to the vet next Friday. He did put some weight on his back paws for a little bit, which was also an improvement since last weekend. Also, when the vet pulled his toes on each foot, he pulled them back. So that was good as well. They did say that surgery could also be done, but it costs 4-6 thousand dollars and it is not guaranteed that it will help him. So we will see what the next 2 weeks brings us and go from there. In the meantime, our groomer is making Tucker some wheels. He gets fitted tomorrow. I hope he likes them and it is easy for him to use. He loves to be outside and run in the backyard. So this will help him so much.

Our family certainly will have to adapt to all of this, but Tucker is worth it. I'm sure our life will also change a bit, but again that's ok, because Tucker means so much to us and I wouldn't want it any other way. So until the vet tells me he is either suffering or in pain, he stays with us. I am also not giving up hope that some mobility comes back. I am not expecting him to ever gain it all back, but I certainly think he will get some back.

I want to thank each and everyone of you for all your prayers, thoughts and good wishes. We certainly would appreciate more as Tucker goes through the next 2 weeks.
Mildred - Mom to 2 girls and a husband (I tell people that I am a single mom of 3. Ages 59, 37 and 31) lol. And a proud Grandma to Orahn (7) Sawyer (5) and Mazie (3).

ImageImageImageImageImage
Flasher
Cherry Crush
Gallery: 323

Re: Update on Tucker

Post by Flasher »

Well, aside from the cost issue, I'd say this counts as good news all around.  He put some weight on his legs, pulled his toes back.   He's getting meds that may help and some wheels, too.  You're doing all you can -- you know that.  I'll keep thinking of him, and you!
OCD is not an adjective.  It is not a personality quirk. It is not synonymous with being organized.  It is a complex and debilitating mental health illness that affects people of all ages and walks of life, and is defined by the presence of unwanted, intrusive thoughts and repetitive actions. 💙 I am an OCD warrior and I fight for my son. 💙

mgehrke
Bowl Full of Cherries

Post by mgehrke »

Laura wrote:Well, aside from the cost issue, I'd say this counts as good news all around.  He put some weight on his legs, pulled his toes back.   He's getting meds that may help and some wheels, too.  You're doing all you can -- you know that.  I'll keep thinking of him, and you!
Thank you Laura - I really appreciate it. 
Mildred - Mom to 2 girls and a husband (I tell people that I am a single mom of 3. Ages 59, 37 and 31) lol. And a proud Grandma to Orahn (7) Sawyer (5) and Mazie (3).

Art_Teacher
Cherry Crush
Gallery: 2337

Post by Art_Teacher »

Well, I don't know about a herniated disc in a doggie, but I know about one in a person (me).  The steroids made a huge difference and a herniated disc will heal.  My doctor told me that surgery was a last-ditch effort when nothing else works and that it wasn't guaranteed to help, either.  I will just keep saying prayers that the steroids will do the trick and Tucker will be back to running around the yard in no time.  Hugs!
Laura
 Image    Image     Image  Image  Image
croppinmama
Cherry Cola
Gallery: -2

Post by croppinmama »

Thanks for the update, will keep thinking of you and Tucker.
pawprints
A Cherry on Top
Gallery: 1052

Post by pawprints »

Mildred thank you for the update, I have been thinking about little Tucker. I hope so much that the steroids help him. ((Hugs))

Image Image Image

PezKat
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 514

Post by PezKat »

Any progress is good news!  Will keep praying...
Image Image
Shutterbug
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 593

Post by Shutterbug »

We have been thinking about him too. We will continue to pray for all of you.  Sending hugs and prayers.  We would love to see Tucker with his new wheels.
Kimber
I used to be indecisive; now I'm not sure.
MisasMom
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 4

Post by MisasMom »

Thanks for the update, that is good news!  Will keep Tucker in my prayers.
Pat
jrrah4903
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 649

Post by jrrah4903 »

I'm glad things are progressing and you're getting some answers. Good luck to Tucker with his new set of wheels and I will continue to keep you all in my thoughts.
- Jillian

mgehrke
Bowl Full of Cherries

Post by mgehrke »

Art_Teacher wrote:Well, I don't know about a herniated disc in a doggie, but I know about one in a person (me).  The steroids made a huge difference and a herniated disc will heal.  My doctor told me that surgery was a last-ditch effort when nothing else works and that it wasn't guaranteed to help, either.  I will just keep saying prayers that the steroids will do the trick and Tucker will be back to running around the yard in no time.  Hugs!
Thank you Laura for the information. I am hoping that it works the same for dogs as it does for humans. I really want my little boy to enjoy the outside like he did before. Otherwise we will help him enjoy it with the assistance of wheels. 

mgehrke
Bowl Full of Cherries

Post by mgehrke »

Shutterbug wrote:We have been thinking about him too. We will continue to pray for all of you.  Sending hugs and prayers.  We would love to see Tucker with his new wheels.
Tucker gets fitted later this afternoon. I will be sure to take my camera. I am hoping that I'm not too emotional and can share the photos. I will try. 

emmapaige
Chatty Cherry
Gallery: 2463

Post by emmapaige »

Awww..poor little guy.  Thanks for keeping us updated Mildred.  I'll be keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers!!!
** Chris **

My blog: http://mommomandpoppop.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImage Image

blbabe1234
Cherry Bark
Gallery: 3709

Post by blbabe1234 »

Thank you so much Mildred, for the update on Tucker. He's been on my mind all week. Give that sweet boy of yours a big hug from his Auntie Brandy and tell him that Ruby, Bear, Jeffrey, and Penny are all hoping that the steroids help him as well as the wheels!
Brandy 🐾 🐾 ❤️

ImageImage   ImageImageImage
oceanbreezes423
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 2144

Post by oceanbreezes423 »

Any improvement is better than nothing, and I am glad to hear there is hope!!! I pray the steroids work wonders for him, and that is so cool about the wheels!!! I hope he is running real soon, wheels or not!!! Hugs to you all!!!
ImageSusan  Image   Image  Image
killarney_rose
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 356

Post by killarney_rose »

Mildred, thank you for the update.  Tucker has been in my thoughts and prayers since you wrote of his problems.  And of course your family, too.

I probably have lost more dogs, cats, chickens, rabbits, and beloved horses as well as cattle then anyone else on the board.  I have by choice decided to surround myself and family with animals.  As a result we have lost more and felt the pain terribly.  This past spring Limit had to be put down, a little over a year ago I lost a cow I had grown so very attached to and her final gift to me was her last daughter who has her mother's wonderful personality.  Mama Cow as her barn name, taught me it's ok to grow old and the cow I loved more then any other or ever will love.  Now that special love also extends to Peyton and I'll never love another bull like I do my Pey Pey.....he's such a Momma's boy.  I will never grow tired of watching Peyton's eyes light up when he sees me and gets his beloved scratches!  I also know that what the vet told you about the surgery I could not put one of my furbabies through that type of surgery even if I could afford it.  I've had way too many surgery's not work and then many that have.  I guess it comes from understanding what Momma Cow taught me.  There is a time for everything in life.

Our two most recent animals to die where just two weeks ago.  We lost a cow and heifer within 5 days of each other.  Both showed nerological symptoms.  Both had no contact with each other.  But when the heifer died Lynn loaded her onto the flatbed pickup and took her to Texas A&M Diagnostic Lab (Vet School).  We had a full necropsy done and self quarantine of our ranch until we knew what was going on.  The results were a bloom of coccidiosis in the rumen and digestive tract.  Because we reported nerological symptoms they automatically test for BSE (Mad Cow), but we already knew that was not the issue.  The clinical signs were not that of BSE.  The only cases of BSE in the US came from imported cattle and both were years and years ago.  Coccidia is found in every mammals digestive tract, it's one of those protozoans that is there.  Usually a "bloom" is caused by some sort of stress in cattle and if it gets in the blood stream can be fatal which happened in the case of the cow and heifer.  I don't get the cow's stress as she was 7 years old and a really easy going animal.  The heifer's stress I can understand a little better.  She had a quarter Brahman blood in her veins and her personality a little more flightly as we call it.  We just feel really blessed to not have something that could have been contagious.  Herd health is so important to us.  And yes, there is the pain involved with every animal for us when something is wrong with them.  We don't like to see one injured or hurting.  And this was the first time to see this happen and yet something else I have learned.  I doubt I will ever stop learning about the animals that I surround myself with and so blessed to care for.

I'll keep Tucker and all of you in my prayers!  He's such a sweetie!
1grandma
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 187

Post by 1grandma »

Prayers to be continued for Tucker and family.  I would rather love and hurt than not love at all..
Bibi
Ayla
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 1078

Post by Ayla »

1grandma wrote:Prayers to be continued for Tucker and family.  I would rather love and hurt than not love at all..
Well said, and I agree wholeheartedly! 
 Image Image
You don't quit playing because you grow old....you grow old because you quit playing.

average_kim
Cherry Cropper
Gallery: 846

Post by average_kim »

Hope the steroids work for your little guy!
Kim

Image Image  
beachlover
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 1744

Post by beachlover »

will keep sweet Tucker and all of you in my prayers!!!  I am hoping the steroids are what he needs!
Ann ~ Life is always better at the beach!
 view my blog (new) https://ourhideawayparadise.blogspot.com/ 

Return to “General Talk”