Get FREE shipping with your $35 order with code FREESHIP35

joannie

Bowl Full of Cherries

pasta salad dressings
All of you who mentioned eating lots of pasta salads in the summer, can I ask what is in your dressing?  Image
- joannie

Image Image ImageImageImage

butterfly843

A Cherry on Top

Re: pasta salad dressings

CherryTat

Cherry Cola

butterfly843 wrote:I love this one http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2014/01/1 ... ng-recipe/

ohhhh that sounds good! Gotta try that oneImage
Image      Image    Image 

My blog...My tattooed paper heart

emmapaige

Cherry Addict

This is my go to recipe.  Will be making it again this weekend.

http://www.deepsouthdish.com/2009/04/tr ... z36RiyfFmW
** Chris **

My blog: http://mommomandpoppop.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImage Image

Charleneanne

Cherry Delight

mayo, mustard, salt, pepper, and sweet pickle juice.  If you like garlic, you can add a bit of garlic salt too.  My late MIL's macaroni, pasta or potato salad dressing.  Very good.  The more mustard you use, the less bland it is.  Same with the pepper. 

Berta R.

Cherry Bing

All I put in mine is mayo, a dab of mustard, salt, pepper and a dash of garlic salt. Nothing fancy here.   But Jenn and Chris your recipes sound yummy!! Image
***Berta***

Flasher

Cherry Crush

Charleneanne wrote:mayo, mustard, salt, pepper, and sweet pickle juice.  If you like garlic, you can add a bit of garlic salt too.  My late MIL's macaroni, pasta or potato salad dressing.  Very good.  The more mustard you use, the less bland it is.  Same with the pepper. 
This is how I do it as well.  Sometimes, not very often, I use Miracle Whip instead of mayo, but since I'm the only one that likes it that way it doesn't happen very often.  I totally agree with the additional mustard, too.   
OCD is not an adjective.  It is not a personality quirk. It is not synonymous with being organized.  It is a complex and debilitating mental health illness that affects people of all ages and walks of life, and is defined by the presence of unwanted, intrusive thoughts and repetitive actions. 💙 I am an OCD warrior and I fight for my son. 💙

Art_Teacher

Cherry Crush

I do a Mediterannean pasta salad with tortellini (cheese-filled), black olives, green peppers, red onion, feta and parmesan cheeses.  The dressing is 1/4 cup olive oil and 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar with a packet of Good Seasons Italian Dressing mix.   Hubby always says it is his favorite pasta salad. :)
Laura
 Image    Image         Image

Flasher

Cherry Crush

Art_Teacher wrote:I do a Mediterannean pasta salad with tortellini (cheese-filled), black olives, green peppers, red onion, feta and parmesan cheeses.  The dressing is 1/4 cup olive oil and 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar with a packet of Good Seasons Italian Dressing mix.   Hubby always says it is his favorite pasta salad. :)
Holy Yumminess, Batman!  I'm so trying this! 
OCD is not an adjective.  It is not a personality quirk. It is not synonymous with being organized.  It is a complex and debilitating mental health illness that affects people of all ages and walks of life, and is defined by the presence of unwanted, intrusive thoughts and repetitive actions. 💙 I am an OCD warrior and I fight for my son. 💙

AmyTeets

Digital Designers

I use Vinegar's from here.  The cranpberry pear is my fav
Amy Teets Designs

My Blog
Facebook
Semper Fi

Snag Me!

AmyTeets

Digital Designers

Amy Teets Designs

My Blog
Facebook
Semper Fi

Snag Me!

butterfly843

A Cherry on Top

AmyTeets wrote:These three are my favs!  https://diolivas.com/index.php/vinegar- ... iment.html
I love white balsamic, we always get a peach white balsamic at the local farmers market.

joannie

Bowl Full of Cherries

these all sound great!!!
- joannie

Image Image ImageImageImage

Art_Teacher

Cherry Crush

Laura wrote:
Art_Teacher wrote:I do a Mediterannean pasta salad with tortellini (cheese-filled), black olives, green peppers, red onion, feta and parmesan cheeses.  The dressing is 1/4 cup olive oil and 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar with a packet of Good Seasons Italian Dressing mix.   Hubby always says it is his favorite pasta salad. :)
Holy Yumminess, Batman!  I'm so trying this! 
It's good, and easy!  Main two requirements for my recipes.  lol  It even tastes better after it marinates in the fridge overnight. :) 
Laura
 Image    Image         Image

Scrap Bug

Cherry Bomb

For rotini salads I use a vinaigrette salad dressing.

For creamy type pastas I use a mayo base with usually just salt, but sometimes a few other spices just depending on the type of dish.
Melissa

Scrap Bug

Cherry Bomb

Yum!  This sounds like a salad my family would love.
Melissa

Charleneanne

Cherry Delight

I believe I will try this as well.  Experimenting with my cooking this summer (or non cooking as the case may be in a heat wave) and this sounds like a good new summer recipe

Wheeliegirl

Cherry Jubilee

emmapaige wrote:This is my go to recipe.  Will be making it again this weekend.

http://www.deepsouthdish.com/2009/04/tr ... z36RiyfFmW
I use this recipe too! Yum!
ImageImageImageImage
-Donna-

killarney_rose

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Salads in the Summer and Soups in Winter!

I absolutely love love a one dish meal to fill a bowl!

That twice a week salad is a welcome addition to me that is really all about putting everything in it but the kitchen sink!

Via Pinterest I have found some wonderful food blogs and love love love the dressings I am finding!  I even have a Soup and Salad Board about a month old.

http://thecozyapron.com/cozy-bbq-buddy- ... ngy-twist/

Here's the link to the salad I fixed used the dressing.  I wasn't sure about how it would turn out when I first made it but was absolutely out of this world!  Since making it the first time I have been tinkering with it based on what I want that night and it was out of this world again last night.

Here is my take on the dressing for last night keeping in mind I prefer to spend extra dollars on very high quality olive oil, vinegars and spices:

3/4 cup mayo
1/3 cup olive oil
Juice of one lime  (I am lazy so bypass zesting lemons or limes)
1/4 tsp of Light Brown Sugar
1 tblsp Whole Grain Mustard (used Grey Poupon)
2 tsps Basil
1 tsp Tabasco Green Pepper Sauce (Jalapeno)
Blend together with wire whisk.

End result was citrus, sweet and tang all in one bite.

I also tossed what I saw was a horrible amount of white sugar down to 1/4 tsp of brown sugar which is a little better for you then white sugar the very first time I made the dressing.  I also cut out the salt because I end up with a boat load of salt from the mayo, mustard and Tabasco never mind what you will see below when I actually put the salad together.  It is great with Thyme and I would imagine whatever spices you like best it would also be great.  Might try oregano next time.

I usually start my kitchen sink salads with canned goods.  Larry loves beans so I keep Black Beans, Kidney Beans, Black Eyes, Purple Hulls, Hominy on hand.  I also keep frozen Edamame and English Peas.  I can defrost the English Peas and put straight into the salad and they won't upset my stomach like they do when cooked.  Edamame I microwave to package instructions and toss package in fridge to cool.  I also have recently found Barilla's Veggie Pastas.....25% Veggie Puree and I cut the carbs down for Larry who is too overweight.  I start the salad by popping a single chicken breast in the oven to bake and then turn off oven allowing it to cool to room temperature when done with no seasoning at all.  I shred the chicken breast as the very last thing I add to salad.

Last night the salad looked like:

1 can Kidney Beans drained and rinsed  (reduces some of the salt)
1 can Black Eyed Peas drained and rinsed (reduces some of the salt)
1 can Crushed Green Chilis, drain excess liquid
1 can, 4 oz. Sliced Black Olives drained
4 green onions chopped
2 tomatoes chopped
1 cucumber quartered and sliced
1 yellow squash quartered and sliced
1 heart of celery and those tender shoots chopped
3 carrots sliced
5 radishes sliced
1 cup raw Barilla Veggie Elbows cooked to Al Dente
1 chicken breast shredded

Other veggies I typically keep on hand to chose from are zucchini, peppers (but not bell as they don't agree with Larry's stomach).  I prefer the milder peppers like Banana, milder Chilis and Poblano.  Love Chives and will substitute for green onions.  When in season I can't resist a great Texas 1015 onion.  Like I said it is really about what my preferences are at the moment for making the salad.  Sometimes no pasta is even in it.  And of course I keep a host of cheeses on hand if I am in the mood for cheese to go in the salad.

The benefit to eating all this raw food is Larry hasn't had his stomach upset and he has a very fickle stomach.  Plenty of left overs the next day to feed James and I our lunch, too!

Then one more dressing I found that again is out of this world.  I do love a great vinegarette!  I added a tablespoon of vinegar to this recipe.

Dressing Ingredients:
2 T lime juice (fresh lime juice recommended)
2 T extra virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp. ground Chipotle pepper (I use Penzeys)
(you could use green Tabasco in place of the Chipotle pepper)
1/2 tsp. mild chile powder (New Mexico chile powder is best)
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. onion powder
zest of one lime (optional, but recommended)
Vege-sal or salt to taste
fresh ground pepper to taste

This great dressing is from this link: http://www.food.com/library/green-onion-363

And instead of Vege-sal or salt our chef makes a seasoning he calls Fix-all that is over the top!  Nope he won't give me the recipe.

Return to “General Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee