Get FREE shipping with your $35 order with code FREESHIP35

Ayla

Cherry Addict

I got a Hoosier!
...a Hoosier cabinet, that is. If you don't know what they are, they were baking centers used in the late 1800's and early 1900's kitchens. They had a bin to hold flour and a dispenser, usually a porcelain coated tin table top to work on, and storage for spices and various baking implements. I have always loved them, and have wanted one for probably 25 years. But other things always took precedence, and I could never find one I liked that I could afford. I did find one up north last spring, in terrific pristine, original condition, but it was $1800. I offered to trade Bob's jeep for it, he just laughed at me.

But wandering a small town antique mall about 30 miles from our house, we found one! It was marked originally at $349, but the price was crossed off and $339 was written on it. Bob saw how much I loved it, and the price on it, and went to the desk. He offered $250 for it. I thought that was a bit low, but once he said it, I figured all they could do was say no. Well, the seller accepted his offer! $250 for a gorgeous Hoosier! I am in HEAVEN! I was about in tears I was so happy that Bob bought it for me. He is funny...he says it's my money anyway since I'm the bread winner and he is my stay at home hubby, but I consider it ours, not mine. He said if I hadn't been with him, I'd have bought it anyway. But I don't think I would have...he has taught me that it's okay to pamper myself once in a while, and this obviously is a piece of furniture that will last. I was in tears I was so excited and happy....and Bob was in tears just watching my reaction!

Wanna see it? Now remember, all the goodies on it were also for sale and we didn't buy those, just the cabinet. So look past the extras to the bones of the piece. But the funny part is....if you can see a yellow bowl in the cabinet....it is a set of 4 Corelle bowls from the 1940's and 1950's....and I have that same exact set! They were my mother's and I still use them regularly.

Image Image Image Image Image
 Image Image
You don't quit playing because you grow old....you grow old because you quit playing.

writerlady

Bowl Full of Cherries

Re: I got a Hoosier!
Congratulations! What a lovely gesture on your dh's part. He's such a doll, Nancy. I've always wanted a Hoosier cabinet, too. It's beautiful! Please show where you are going to keep it.
Please stop by my blog,Writerlady's Craftroom

PezKat

Chocolate Covered Cherry

It's beautiful - congrats on the great find! (and I *am* a Hoosier, lol!)
Image Image

Ayla

Cherry Addict

writerlady wrote:Congratulations! What a lovely gesture on your dh's part. He's such a doll, Nancy. I've always wanted a Hoosier cabinet, too. It's beautiful! Please show where you are going to keep it.
When it gets put into place, I will gladly take pics and share them. I have one bare wall in my dining room that it will go against...and our authentic German (from the 1940's) cuckoo clock will go next to it!
 Image Image
You don't quit playing because you grow old....you grow old because you quit playing.

SherrieLynne

Cherry Garcia

What an awesome piece of furniture. I would LOVE to have one. I'm planning on coming to the Bay City area this summer. I want to go to Saginaw to ACOT and find shop old shops like that to check out while I'm there. I will have to look that shop up. TFS!!!

debamas

Wild Cherry

Aren't you glad you kept on looking? What a nice piece and yes, you should pamper yourself now and then. Besides, you need furniture!
Debbie

1grandma

Cherry Addict

Oh, I am so jealous! I have always wanted one of these. Lucky, lucky you!
Bibi

lmcgill

Cherry Bing

It is beautiful, you lucky duck!

scrapbookmary

Cherry Bing

lol! Hoosier in da house! Congratulations on your great find! I have those same bowls from my mother and I use them about everyday. I can remember her cooking with them when I was growing up. Great cabinet!
...... but age is such a triumph over youth,
again, because you moved across the years to here.
Leaving there where it belongs
for youth to come along and re-discover. by Rod McKuen

Ayla

Cherry Addict

SherrieLynne wrote:What an awesome piece of furniture. I would LOVE to have one. I'm planning on coming to the Bay City area this summer. I want to go to Saginaw to ACOT and find shop old shops like that to check out while I'm there. I will have to look that shop up. TFS!!!
Are you coming for the Tall Ships? They will be here in July. Maybe we can meet up!
 Image Image

sdwhru

Cherry Jubilee

Cool looking! Nope, didn't know what it was. Please post pic's so we can see everything together after you get it to it's "new home." I love stuff like that!

Morris4

Cherry Picker

OMG I love those
type
of cabinets!
I have been looking for one in my area...
but they want close to $1000 or more for them...
and even then they are hard to find.
----------------------------

Blog: http://myordinarylifemorrisway.blogspot.com/

pawprints

A Cherry on Top

So happy for you Nancy! What a great buy and your dh is a sweetie!

ImageImage Image Image  

blbabe1234

Cherry Bark

This is so awesome Nancy! Your DH is great! And what a great price!
Brandy 🐾 🐾 ❤️

ImageImage   Image Image

scrapaholic

Chocolate Covered Cherry

How awesome! Its great.
Have a coke and a smile!Image

mgehrke

Bowl Full of Cherries

What a beautiful piece of furniture.
Mildred - Mom to 2 girls and a husband (I tell people that I am a single mom of 3. Ages 59, 37 and 31) lol. And a proud Grandma to Orahn (7) Sawyer (5) and Mazie (3).

ImageImageImageImageImage

Wheeliegirl

Cherry Jubilee

Congratulations! My grandmother had one in her kitchen. I had no idea that was the name of it. My mom has it now.
ImageImageImageImage
-Donna-

sherelm

Cherry Jubilee

Oh Nancy, that Hoosier is stunning!! I love it - lucky you, and lucky you for having such a good hubby!!

I had an old metal top table with the wooden drawer, and leaf - it was a 1920s table - it was light yellow and green on the top - and it was ruined in the flood. I was so upset. I wanted to try and clean it up - and the FEMA guys all told me the mold was deep into it and I'd ruin other things if I took it - not to mention my health. Joey was upset too, I told him I hope no one was planning on taking it themselves when I left for the last time. So Joey said he was throwing it into the lake in pieces for the fish and ducks. HE DID! But it was so upsetting - I love old craftsmanship - nothing is like these wonderful pieces. Hope you have many years of enjoyment out of it!!

Return to “General Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee