Get up to 3 FREE GIFTS with purchase → See details
Plus, save 20% or more on all Fall and Halloween products!

Jenn Kellams

Cherry Garcia

Travel Suggestions - ***HELP***
I recently posted about my summer vacation, but other than the MAJOR things on our route, I would like to know what you think is MUST SEE attraction! Help me out!

I will start with our destination locations after Dallas because before that there is no time for anything else.

Dallas -> to Carlsbad, NM -> El Paso -> Phoenix -> Flagstaff (Grand Canyon) -> Las Vegas -> Mammoth Lake -> Yosemite -> Sacramento (Colfax, CA) -> Reno -> Idaho Falls -> Yellowstone -> Greybull -> Mount Rushmore

**In CA we will be visiting the Red Woods, San Fran, & Napa Valley. Anywhere else up near here. We will not being south in Cali.

**I am not necessarily interested in major cities. I like off the road/on the beaten path sort of things.

**I would love to know if there is a MUST EAT AT restaurant we should visit too!

****EDITED****
This is our blog link if anyone is interested in following the blog this summer! Travel with us!
http://heckonwheels-ourwestcoasttrip.blogspot.com/
Jennifer K.
Personal Blog

oceanbreezes423

Cherry Jubilee

Re: Travel Suggestions - ***HELP***
Hoover Dam. You may not think of it as a must see, but it is awesome, and the history of it, quite a story! And Lake Mead is beautiful!
ImageSusan  Image   Image  Image

letumom

Cherry Jubilee

Well I think you'll hit El Paso before Carlsbad. In El paso there is a cool restaurant on the western side of the divide. It's known for its steaks and down home cooking. It is off the main highway (10) but easily accessible.

In Carlsbad you have the caverns. Plan to spend a whole day on that tour.

Grand Canyon - try to do the Glen Canyon boat tour. Again all day ride, but they feed you mid way. Very interesting perspective of this mighty river. Lots of history is given if you get the right porter.

As for Las Vegas, maybe you need to consider a Cherry meet up. I know there are a couple there. And one in Dallas. Not sure about the other places you mentioned though.

Have fun, whatever you do. And don't forget the camera.
Laurie

Jenn Kellams

Cherry Garcia

oceanbreezes423 wrote:Hoover Dam. You may not think of it as a must see, but it is awesome, and the history of it, quite a story! And Lake Mead is beautiful!

Hoover Dam was on the list and I want to see it soooo bad!!! However......I have read that you can no longer drive across it so it puts quite a time restraint on for getting to Vegas. Do you know if this is true?
Jennifer K.
Personal Blog

Jenn Kellams

Cherry Garcia

letumom wrote:Well I think you'll hit El Paso before Carlsbad. In El paso there is a cool restaurant on the western side of the divide. It's known for its steaks and down home cooking. It is off the main highway (10) but easily accessible.

In Carlsbad you have the caverns. Plan to spend a whole day on that tour.

Grand Canyon - try to do the Glen Canyon boat tour. Again all day ride, but they feed you mid way. Very interesting perspective of this mighty river. Lots of history is given if you get the right porter.

As for Las Vegas, maybe you need to consider a Cherry meet up. I know there are a couple there. And one in Dallas. Not sure about the other places you mentioned though.

Have fun, whatever you do. And don't forget the camera.

Thanks for all of the tips! We are detouring to Carlsbad and then coming back to El Paso. We are vising with family. We are doing the Cavern tours for sure! That is the only reason I want to go there! hehe And do NOT worry! There will be PLENTY of pictures taken!! lol
Jennifer K.
Personal Blog

oceanbreezes423

Cherry Jubilee

jjenni08 wrote:
oceanbreezes423 wrote:Hoover Dam. You may not think of it as a must see, but it is awesome, and the history of it, quite a story! And Lake Mead is beautiful!

Hoover Dam was on the list and I want to see it soooo bad!!! However......I have read that you can no longer drive across it so it puts quite a time restraint on for getting to Vegas. Do you know if this is true?

That I do not know, we parked and walked out on it. Scary as I am afraid of heights! If you have to go around to get to Vegas, perhaps thru St George, Utah. It is at northern side on Grand Canyon, but you have Zion National Park, AMAZING place!!!!
ImageSusan  Image   Image  Image

scrapscot

Cherry Bing

ME!! I'm outside of Dallas (in Arlington) lol! If you're into sports, The Cowboys Stadium and the Rangers Ballpark both here in Arlington. Ghiradelli Chocolate Factory in San Fran. I lived in the area in the 70's and regret that we never went there! Other than that, I really don't know. I've been to Las Vegas but nothing spectacular unless you're into gambling. Enjoy!!
Image Charlene

Indy Scrapper

Chocolate Covered Cherry

while in the Napa area, you might check out the Wine Train in Napa, it takes you all through the different small towns. You can see a lot of the winery's and vineyards. In Yountville, you can take a hot air balloon ride over Napa Valley, breath taking.

Enjoy you adventure wherever you go.
Janie
Live long, laugh often, hug someone.

suewho372

Cherry Jubilee

While you are in the Las Vegas area Red Rocks is wonderful if you can fit it in!
Susan

need2scrap

Cherry Bing

jjenni08 wrote:

You will not go drive directly on the dam anymore, that has been shut down as the main highway - the new bridge over the river, just south of the dam, has been open for over a year. You can park and walk on the bridge, it is setup for pedestrian's, separated from the cars. On the bridge you have a fantastic view of the dam.
*** Christi ***
Love to scrap - Need to scrap - Not enough time to scrap!!!

Return to “General Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee