Anyone ever hosted a charity crop

Moderator: ACOT Employee

anazelia
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 803

Anyone ever hosted a charity crop

Post by anazelia »

I am pondering trying to host a fundraising crop next year for my avon walk. Has anyone ever done this? What goes into it? How did you do it?

Basically I need all the ideas, comments etc. that I can get.
Art_Teacher
Cherry Crush
Gallery: 2337

Re: Anyone ever hosted a charity crop

Post by Art_Teacher »

My civic sorority did one a few years ago for cancer research. We charged $20 for a table, door prizes, and snacks. Ladies in our group donated the snacks. We got donations for door prizes. Some were scrappy items and some were other things (notepads, hand lotions, etc.). Every hour we drew names for a couple of door prizes (which were wrapped, so they would be a surprise) and we let them choose from the table. We also had a couple demonstrations of techniques by different ladies in the group and a few make and takes to try. We set up a swap table for folks to place scrappy items they didn't need/want and people took things if they could use them. All the items left over were donated to an elementary school teacher for her classroom. It went well, but I think we needed to advertise more, as we only had about 20 people in attendance. We did make over $300 though for an afternoon of fun and not much work! :-D
Laura
 Image    Image     Image  Image  Image
anazelia
Cherry Cola

Post by anazelia »

Art_Teacher wrote:My civic sorority did one a few years ago for cancer research. We charged $20 for a table, door prizes, and snacks. Ladies in our group donated the snacks. We got donations for door prizes. Some were scrappy items and some were other things (notepads, hand lotions, etc.). Every hour we drew names for a couple of door prizes (which were wrapped, so they would be a surprise) and we let them choose from the table. We also had a couple demonstrations of techniques by different ladies in the group and a few make and takes to try. We set up a swap table for folks to place scrappy items they didn't need/want and people took things if they could use them. All the items left over were donated to an elementary school teacher for her classroom. It went well, but I think we needed to advertise more, as we only had about 20 people in attendance. We did make over $300 though for an afternoon of fun and not much work! :-D

Thanks Laura. Do you remember the hours you had it? I was thinking of a full day crop, but that would involve meals. So I am not sure.
Art_Teacher
Cherry Crush
Gallery: 2337

Post by Art_Teacher »

We did it from 9-3. We had snacks and then sandwiches, veggie trays, and chips for lunch. All these items were donated by the ladies in our group, so not much cost out of our profit. I do think we might have gotten more ladies to come if we had provided daycare, too.
Laura
 Image    Image     Image  Image  Image
doviana
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 31

Post by doviana »

I haven't done the hosting thing but I can say that daycare at a crop would be AMAZING... I have 2 small children and many many time it prevents me from attending any kind of crop because I don't have anyone to watch them. Also if I am attending a charity event I always like to know how much of my money is going to the charity.

Just a couple of ideas.
anazelia
Cherry Cola

Post by anazelia »

doviana wrote:I haven't done the hosting thing but I can say that daycare at a crop would be AMAZING... I have 2 small children and many many time it prevents me from attending any kind of crop because I don't have anyone to watch them. Also if I am attending a charity event I always like to know how much of my money is going to the charity.

Just a couple of ideas.

Since this would just be me, and maybe a few people helping me I am not sure I could do the child care thing. Especially since I would be doing this on a Saturday. As far as how much, all of it would be going to my walk.
doviana
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 31

Post by doviana »

anazelia wrote:Since this would just be me, and maybe a few people helping me I am not sure I could do the child care thing. Especially since I would be doing this on a Saturday. As far as how much, all of it would be going to my walk.

An idea I have always thought would be if anyone you know would have teenagers that would be willing to work for free or on the WAY cheep to entertain the kids. It would depend on where you were doing the crop but I know that most churches (here anyway) have gymnasiums that are usually deserted on Saturday that they could go play in. Then there is the fact that you can say no kids under a certain age unless you keep them with you... I know that would have been great at a few crops I wanted to do when the youngest was under a year old. I had no one I could rely on to care for her so I couldn't go simply because they had a no one under 18 ban on kids...
Kitkat137
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 151

Post by Kitkat137 »

If there is a college or university near you, they are a great source for volunteers to help. Sororities often have community service requirements for their members.

I work in the DC area (live up near Annapolis). Depending on when/where you plan to hold it...I might be able to volunteer.
Kat >^..^<

Image Image Image
1grandma
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 187

Post by 1grandma »

Not me.
Bibi
lsdopey
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 14

Post by lsdopey »

I host one every year to benefit our Church Relay for Life Team. This gives me a lot of support and helping hands but I'm sure it could be done with less.

I do 9am - 9pm, and charge $35 per 1/2 of an 8 ft table. Also we are food heavy, but it works for us & we get a lot of draw year after year because of it.

We start with breakfast - bagels & spreads, granola bars things like that.
Lunch we have soup & salads (always w/the dressing already on it to eliminate the need for multiple choices) & then some great dessert
Afternoon snack we put out veggie & fruit trays
Dinner we have mostaccioli & salad, garlic bread & dessert
Around 7pm we have fresh baked cookies come out of the oven - we use this as a draw to keep people there the full time.
We only provide coffee, tea, or lemonade to drink all day, anything else they have to bring themselves.

We have several vendors. If they are scrapbooking related and provide a free make & take their space is free, but we do ask for a donation of some type for our raffles and/or door prizes. If they are non-scrapbooking related then we charge $25, but do allow the vendors meals.

We provide each scrapper with a goodie bag upon arrival, various goodies that we've been able to pick up on really good sales. Then they are all entered into the hourly door prize drawings - these are either donated by the relay team or again, things that we have picked up on great sales. We also sell raffle tickets for one big prize - scrapbooking tote, die cutting machine, gift certificate.

We usually have about 35 people that attend and make between $800-$1000 each year. We have these profits because all of our food is donated, so if you're having to purchase your food, that would cut into your profits.

I've attended several other local crops where they ask for all the scrappers to bring a dish or snack to share - then give them x# of tickets towards a raffle prize for bringing them.

Hope this helps. If you have more questions about what we do, I'd be happy to share. I'm not saying everything we do is "right" but it does work for us.
~ Liana

Interested in Scrapbooking Swaps?? Check us out at http://www.iasst.forumotion.net

Most papers are available at ACOT!

Return to “General Talk”