Dan Wheldon Tragedy

Moderator: ACOT Employee

PezKat
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 514

Dan Wheldon Tragedy

Post by PezKat »

For the Indy gals and any racing fans who might not have heard - Dan Wheldon died today in a Lap 11 crash in Las Vegas. 15 cars were involved, several other injuries but I don't think there was anything else major. First Indy Car death in 5 years. We were switching back & forth between the pre-race fluff (which included a bit on Wheldon because there was a fan contest where if he won they'd split the money, but he was starting at the back) and the Colts game and just turned the tv off after the Bengals' last TD and forgot about the race... if we'd switched over we probably would've seen it live, but I just heard about half an hour ago. He was only 33. I'm just in shock and my heart is aching and I know that even though he died in Vegas Indy will be mourning him as well.
Last edited by PezKat on Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
CherryTat
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 492

Re: Dan Wheldon Tragedy

Post by CherryTat »

I am not a racing fan at all, but it's really sad when something like this happens. I know racing is high risk for injury but it's so, so sad.
Image      Image    Image 

My blog...My tattooed paper heart
Ayla
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 1078

Post by Ayla »

CherryTat wrote:I am not a racing fan at all, but it's really sad when something like this happens. I know racing is high risk for injury but it's so, so sad.
I agree. But if there's one good way to look at it, how better can it be than to die doing something you love?
 Image Image
You don't quit playing because you grow old....you grow old because you quit playing.

4peasinourpod
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 816

Post by 4peasinourpod »

I heard about it during the crop. He was a good guy, too. The crash was horrific, I heard. We are Nascar, not Indy, but I will watch it occasionally. (Except road races. not a fan of those).
Prayers to his family. I heard Dario talking about Wheldon's son. sad.
~pam~
AnnOminous
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 211

Post by AnnOminous »

I had been watching other stuff, plus working on the computer. I changed channels expecting to catch the finish but instead that was just as they came out of that meeting. When I saw Tony Kanaan crying I knew.

It seems like this has been the bad luck year to win the big race. Rookie Trevor Bayne won the Daytona 500 in just his second cup race and a few months later came down with a mysterious illness that nearly ended his racing career. Dan won the Indy 500 in a total upset - it was a one race deal. Despite being the 2005 Indy 500 winner and the series champion Dan did not have a regular ride this year. His Cinderella Indy 500 win was what led to him getting the deal to run this race with the $5 million bonus if he won it. For the majority of the year Dan had been testing the new chasis for the Indy series for next year - ironically a much safer car. I hope they put the $5 mil in a trust fund for his two kids.
PezKat
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 514

Post by PezKat »

You're right Ann... even more ironic is the fact that JR Hildebrand's crash made Dan the winner in May, and started today's tragedy as well. I don't blame anyone, haven't even heard details, but just weird that the 2 are now connected in that way.

I'm sure next May will be a bit more somber. I really don't follow the whole season but grew up having it as a month-long, city-wide event.

Well, news for a few minutes & then I'm going to try to go back to scrapping!
Image Image
dwinchell
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 11

Post by dwinchell »

I read about this just a little bit ago... Horrible to hear.. I am also a Nascar gal. I pray for his wife and children. I hope somthing good will come from this bad. :(
Denise
Mom to Nicole and Michael

jannyf
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 148

Post by jannyf »

WE're NASCAR fans as well, but we hate to see anyone perish in any sport. It's sad to see such a young life taken. I have to agree w/Ayala and it reminds me of when Dale Earhart died - doing something you love. Real sad day.......
- Jan

Indy Scrapper
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 47

Post by Indy Scrapper »

I happen to catch an interview with Dan prior to the race where he was actually talking about how accidents happen in racing. Who would have thought? He seemed like a great all around guy. This is indeed a sad event in racing.
Janie
Live long, laugh often, hug someone.
GRACEpunches5
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 575

Post by GRACEpunches5 »

as soon as the crash happened by dh got all excited and then we knew it was bad when they put yellow trap over his car. so, so sad. he had kids just younger than mine. just can't imagine what was going through his mind, his wife's mind...prayers to his family.
[url=http://gavinrandyalizacandyellie.blogspot.com/:22hb4o89]http://gavinrandyalizacandyellie.blogspot.com/[/url:22hb4o89]

[color=#ff4080:22hb4o89]Feb. 2010 Crop: 14 Challenges and 5 Fast Scraps
May 2010 Crop: 19 Challenges and 4 Fast Scraps[/color:22hb4o89][/font:22hb4o89]
[color=#bf0080:22hb4o89]August 2010 Crop: 9 Challenges and 4 Fast Scraps[/color:22hb4o89][/font:22hb4o89]
[/font:22hb4o89][color=#ff8080:22hb4o89]November 2010: 10 Challenges and 5 Fast Scraps[/color:22hb4o89][/font:22hb4o89]
[/font:22hb4o89][color=#ff4080:22hb4o89][img:22hb4o89]http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g70/c ... -1-1-1.jpg[/img:22hb4o89][/color:22hb4o89][/font:22hb4o89][img:22hb4o89]http://creative.ak.fbcdn.net/v41818/fly ... c52db0.jpg[/img:22hb4o89][img:22hb4o89]http://pagemaps.com/images/blinkies/PMBlinkie88x33.gif[/img:22hb4o89]

Return to “General Talk”