We're celebrating World Card Making Day with 20% off the regular price of everything! Use code CARDS20

scraptag

Cherry Cola

? About Plasma TV's...
There's a really good deal right now for a 50" LG Plasma for $675. It's from 6th Avenue. Would you get it?

dshepard

Cherry Bing

Re: ? About Plasma TV's...
From what I understand (and I'm not an expert), LCD is usually a better way to go. I think I read somewhere that plasma has a bigger problem with burn in (where the image faintly remains if left on too long) and if it breaks is a lot more money to fix. But I'm sure if you searched the internet for "LCD vs. plasma" or something like that you might get better answers. Good luck!
Danna :)

Proudly creating for Image Image

MimaScraps/Lori

Cherry Bomb

If you decide to get the plasma (great price), do not lay it on its side, for example, to transport home. I just remember the guy telling us that. We bought the other but pd way too much (2500 for 48 ", I think) a few yrs ago when we had a savings acct--col (cry out loud)
Lori aka "Mima"
Cherish Every Moment; Then Scrap Each One!
and
Sweet Spot Designs!!

writerlady

Bowl Full of Cherries

I would wait for Black Friday and buy a LCD tv. I have had both - and my electric bill dropped when I traded in the Plasma tv for an LCD tv.
Please stop by my blog,Writerlady's Craftroom

meteechtap

Cherry Cola

I bought my 42" at best buy for $499 in February its an Insignia, so far I have had no complaints! I think that is a good deal for that size!
~Janet~Image Image Image
Celebrity Cherry 5/10 , Guest Ct 5/11

LyndaKay

Cherry Jubilee

On advice from many people with experience with both LCD and plasma, I'd only go with LCD TVs.

Lynda

sherry

Cherry Bing

We have a 50" Panasonic plasma we bought about 5-6 years ago. No complaints with it, we paid much, much more, as prices have significantly dropped in the past few years. We do not leave it paused for fear of burn in, but other than that, no special handling. But I think LCDs have improved a bunch over the past few years, when we bought the plasma the deal with LCDs is that they didn't go up to 50", but they probably do now.

cort

Cherry Bing

My brother worked in an electronic store and his recommendation was an LCD. He said that the plasmas can be way to particular..and even if you don't lay it on it's side..you don't know what happened during shipping...which most places are good about making sure they are handled properly.

He recommended a Samsung which is what we ended up getting. I bought it on black friday last year I think..and I haven't been disappointed with it. Of course I can't remember what I paid for it..but I kept thinking it's only a tv...why is it so much. Of course If it had been scrappy supplies i probably wouldn't have batted an eye.

Good luck with your decision. Wonder if you might be able to find the customer reviews for that particular model?
ImageImage

jannyf

Cherry Bing

Yes! We have plasma & I think the picture looks so much better than the LCDs. It does throw off more heat than an LCD; however, the picture quality is great!
- Jan

harper828

Cherry Bing

You should look into the LCD 1080.
Live, Love and Create

AnnOminous

Chocolate Covered Cherry

What is the speed on the tv? LOL yes, tv's now have speeds like computers. The faster ones cost more, too. What I found when I was tv buying last February was that the bigger you got the more noticable the difference in picture quality with the speed. At 50" the 60 mh don't look that good. You are going to need at least 120 mh or even better 240 mh. (And for all I know they may now have 480 mh). I got a 47" Vizio 120 mh LCD.

Plus, I don't know what you now have, but you get a tv that big and you are going to want to upgrade to HD is you haven't already.

And actually they now have LED's which have an even better pic.

Firegems

Sweet Cherry Pie

I'm looking for a new TV also and this info was really helpful. Will check in to this.
Firegems

RitaS

Cherry Bing

My husband eyed those at Sears a few weeks ago. The salesman was honest, bless him. Plasma are fine for a basement, low light situation. However, if the television is to be in a well lit room (upper room with windows/daylight coming in) he recommened LCD. Our living room gets quite bright at times of day, so we obviously need to get an LCD.
Rita S

Life is about second chances. There would be no hope if God didn't give us another.

wimom

Cherry Bomb

I bought a new TV a few months ago and did quite a bit of research first. (Google for TV buying guide or how to choose a TV, etc). I agree with several of the comments from previous posters. LCD is better than Plasma in a room with light. You need at least 120 mhz; many of the TVs that are marked down are only 60 mhz. You might also read online reviews of any set you are considering buying. Amazon is great for that, and Google will turn up others. I narrowed it down to a Sony or a Samsung, got a Sony 46-inch LCD. Good luck!
Rhonda -- Scrappin' in Wisconsin

scraptag

Cherry Cola

so...I did not get that awesome deal on the plasma. (although my fil swears by them), I do not like one thing (because I really think all the issues with the lcd have been handled), and that is the amount of energy they generally consume. I also like the bright colors of the lcd vs. the plasma, but that is just my preference. I also think that I am going to wait til after Christmas and then get a 2010 on closeout. I think that my hunny & I can wait that long, since it's been like 11 years since we bought our last one. I will continue to check out the deal sites for a 46" lcd with at least 120 hz, 1080p for the awesome deal I know I'm going to get.... :-D :-D :-D

Thanks for all your positive input, ladies. You're the best

shayla_rose

Cherry Cola

I think that waiting for an lcd is a good idea! you should really get a good deal at the end of the year! Good luck!

scrappie_stacie

Cherry Bomb

RitaS wrote:My husband eyed those at Sears a few weeks ago. The salesman was honest, bless him. Plasma are fine for a basement, low light situation. However, if the television is to be in a well lit room (upper room with windows/daylight coming in) he recommened LCD. Our living room gets quite bright at times of day, so we obviously need to get an LCD.

That's exactly what my husband said when I asked him. We bought 2 new tvs around Christmas last year year... a plasma for the basement and an LCD for our family room. He also said a plasma is better for sports viewing and gaming that's why the plasma for the "man cave".

---------------------------------------------------------

ChrissyTina

Cherry Bing

We have a Panasonic Viera Plasma (50") and we love it. Of course, as with any uber-expensive electronic, we do take particular care with it. DO NOT lay it on it's side is rule #1. We looked at LCD screens, and I didn't like them. The plasma works best for us as we watch a lot of sports..ok..football..and we all play video games. I think the plasma has a better picture quality than LCD.

However, from what I've learned, OLED screens are the top of the line now.
Chrissy

Return to “General Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee