Hoarders

Moderator: ACOT Employee

AmyTeets
Digital Designers
Gallery: 368

Re: Hoarders

Post by AmyTeets »

I think the woman in New Orleans, the episode that they showed before the new ones was just lazy. She didn't care what was being thrown out, where a lot of hoarders go into anxiety mode. I think it's more of a mental illness a lot of the times.
And yes, that family was in denial and not seeing the bigger picture.
Amy Teets Designs

My Blog
Facebook
Semper Fi

Snag Me!
candykane
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 28

Post by candykane »

last night was the first time I had seen the show~ What I thought was interesting is that there are different degrees of hoarding.
The sad part is that my husband and I's parents are both this way~ We have take truck loads our of my parents house just to come back next visit and it was full again.
ImageImage Layouts for Jan 2011
LayoutsImage for Feb.2011
sherry
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 1

Post by sherry »

I watch Hoarders & Hoarders, Buried Alive, Oh, and also Confessions of Animal Hoarders, which is the worst. Don't know why I like the shows. They are awful. Initially I found myself getting irritated with the people that would put their trash over their family, but then I came to understand it is a mental disorder. I still find myself getting annoyed- THROW IT OUT- you've been walking on it for 10 years, it's trash--- but I try to be more sympathetic. It doesn't send me into a cleaning frenzy, my house is nothing like that, but it makes me glad I don't have those tendencies.
need2scrap
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 32

Post by need2scrap »

I also watch Hoarders and Hoarders, Buried Alive. I think some of the people are hoarders because of living thru the Great Depression, or having their parents live thru it, in a time where you didn't throw things in the trash. I also have seen a lot of depression, where a loved one dies, or children move out of the house and the parent(s) has some sort of longing for them, or empty nest syndrome.

I do think that the ones that have trash on the floor are just lazy.
*** Christi ***
Love to scrap - Need to scrap - Not enough time to scrap!!!

baltoscrapper
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 358

Post by baltoscrapper »

I used to DVR the show because I thought it was interesting to see the "before and after" shots, but it just gets to me. I'm not a "neat freak" but I can't stand clutter/dirt/trash so my house is pretty neat all the time....ok ok, except maybe for my scraptable!! :winkb:
How people can live like that is beyond my imagination. I couldn't stand to be in the house, much less live there (unless they gave me free reign to throw away everything that I saw fit for trash!!)
I used to be a "celebrity cherry", but now I'm in re-hab...... Holy Carp!
tbrumley
Cherry Tart
Gallery: 2

Post by tbrumley »

I watched last night's premier and it just pissed me off. When I saw the little girl from Hawaii start to cry it just broke my heart. I get that it's an illness, and I don't mean to sound judgemental, but how could you put your babies through that? I was just shocked at how spineless the father was. I'm not a hoarder and neither is my DH so I can't fully understand what goes on in their heads, but if your kids are in danger, wouldn't you say "hey, it's time you clean up and get help, or get out"?
Shadywolfe
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 66

Post by Shadywolfe »

tbrumley wrote:I watched last night's premier and it just pissed me off. When I saw the little girl from Hawaii start to cry it just broke my heart. I get that it's an illness, and I don't mean to sound judgemental, but how could you put your babies through that? I was just shocked at how spineless the father was. I'm not a hoarder and neither is my DH so I can't fully understand what goes on in their heads, but if your kids are in danger, wouldn't you say "hey, it's time you clean up and get help, or get out"?
mmhmm and what about the one where the woman lost custody of her son because her house was trashed..literally.. layers of garbage.. he opened an old toy chest and said he remembered putting his toys in there until it started to get piled with junk on top.. he opened it saying it prolly hadn't been opened in 20 years.. and found a baby rattle he remembered
not to mention she had cats all around and as they were cleaning they found 2 cat corpses that were as thin as paper.. who knows how long they'd been dead there.. and they said she'd just say.. oh another cat came up missing.. well that's because you live in a land fill and garbage falls on them and they get buried alive.. prolly from chasing dog-sized rats that are living in that filth.. and she just sat on her porch in her rocking chair rocking away while her children, who didn't even live with her, cleaned her house...that lady needed to be commited
scrapsakes
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 451

Post by scrapsakes »

i just started recording this, but it if awful & painful to watch though
and always, i feel like raiding my house for everything & cleaning, lol.

eta:
OMG, i just remembered my husband sent me this story last week :?
a missing lady from Las Vegas in "Hoarder Found Dead in Home"
"a heart in love with beauty never grows old" Image (turkish proverb)
scrapsakes
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 451

Post by scrapsakes »

Ayla wrote:
PezKat wrote:Did you hear about the Las Vegas (I think) woman who disappeared, and it turned out she had died and her husband and police dogs all missed seeing her in the house because of all the stuff?! Yuck. But I think anyone who is concerned that they have too much is ok and not in danger. ;)
I read about that...and I think it was actually their 3rd or 4th time thru the house before they found her! That is so sad!!!
yep, i just posted a link and it was about FOUR MONTHS before they found her dead body :?
"a heart in love with beauty never grows old" Image (turkish proverb)
MOM2SNOX
A Cherry on Top
Gallery: 139

Post by MOM2SNOX »

Watched the mini-marathon over the weekend and totally cleaned out my family room downstairs! It's motivating in the fact that it makes you NOT want to become a HOARDER!
Trish ~ It's all fun and games until somebody loses an EYELET!
Kimandasmo
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 829

Post by Kimandasmo »

I watched a portion of it once and immediately felt the need to go clean...my scrap area never looked so good...nor my hall closet!
Retiree3
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 5468

Post by Retiree3 »

I've never seen the show before.
[
Donna-Retiree3-Proud Grandmother of Three Boys!

[highlight=#000000][/highlight]

anazelia
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 803

Post by anazelia »

I have never watched it. I can't. It creeps me out and reading what you all have to say, just convinces NOT to watch it.
Janshotgun
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 88

Post by Janshotgun »

I've only watched it a few times, never know when it is on or what channel. I hope I'm not going off on a tangent, but I think I might have met a hoarder today at Walmart. I hope I'm not stereotyping this family!

There was a young man with scruffy dirty blonde hair wearing khakis, socks and sandals pushing a wheelchair with a young, obese woman wearing a sundress and flip flops (it was cool today) and she was pushing the shopping cart with a little boy (about 2) and all that was in the cart were 2 rubbermaid totes. The smell hit me around 25 feet away. I believe it was her - the body odor was so bad, I had to hold my breath.

It made me wonder what their home must look like when they can't keep themselves clean. I mean, my eyes were watering. I felt sorry for the little boy.
Jan - trying to find my way

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Ladybug11
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 88

Post by Ladybug11 »

Even just the commercials for that show creep me out...yuckkk!
Grandma Flowers
Cherry Cropper
Gallery: 5

Post by Grandma Flowers »

Maybe if I could get DH to watch it he'd decide to clean our garages!
Image Image Image Image

---Jan---
LyndaKay
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 40

Post by LyndaKay »

Grandma Flowers wrote:Maybe if I could get DH to watch it he'd decide to clean our garages!

LOL!!

Lynda
nonnies
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 29

Post by nonnies »

Shows like clean house on Stlye network make me feel better about myself -

Hoarders - that is just the saddest show - I can't watch it ...it just felt a little like exploitation to me.
~Nonnie~

My Blog: Nonnies Notions
gine
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 157

Post by gine »

I have never watched the show, have to give it a try as long as it does not make want to throw any of my hoarded goodies away.
I just cleaned my scraproom, it took me a good week,,,,Ti probably would have fit right in there before i started
Gine !!!

Image Image

http://ginesscraproom.blogspot.com

Organized people are just too lazy to look for things!!!
Cherry Bing

Post by »

I know what you mean. I watch the show too and feel the same way. I gotta clean or throw out stuff. I am a packrat of some sorts but its a very controlled pac rat.. so far. I never want to be like that. I have a dear friend who I wish I could help her. She is like those people on the shows HOrders..not as bad but between the cat hair and oder and little trails left to walk I havent had the stomach to visit her at her house. I have often wished she would watch the show and get motivated for her familys sake. I think living in all that chaos must leave a person with elevated blood pressure due to the stress that have in that enviroment-even if they are numb to it.

I have seen first hand what a horders home looks like when they abandon it due to the city condeming it. we took a condemed house and began flipping it. like they do on flip this house. We hauled 50 long big trailors full of garbage to the dump. I think it was over 2o,ooo tons..it was insane. dead animals under all that..so gross. I just dont understand how people can live like that. (sorry my post is long)

Return to “General Talk”