Get FREE shipping with your $35 order with code FREESHIP35

scrappinchic

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Re: Desk drama at school
Ugggg lift top desks are the worst! You have to take everything off and put it in your lap just to get one supply. The pencils are always falling on the floor when students open them. I'd point out how lucky he has not to have one and ask him to count how many people drop their stuff on the floor getting out their book. Most schools gave those up years ago. So, I have to agree with the teacher. If it is a big deal to him I'm sure he can find someone to switch with.
I'm not late
Everyone else is way too on time.
0/3 for February

sherry

Cherry Bing

Well, first, let me say, I totally understand how you feel. Those early school years, heck, middle school years are hard ones and we are parents want to protect our kids against hurt feelings etc. But, let's put it in perspective- it's a school desk for pity's sake. I know he's very little but now might be a good time to let him start learning those little life lessons-- everything isn't the same for every one etc. Put a good spin on it and let it go! Yes, I think the teacher probably has a million over more serious issues to think about & deal with than this.

lilkoala3

Bowl Full of Cherries

ChrissyTina wrote:
JanetM wrote:I think that he will be fine with using that one, why don't you point out to him that he's pretty lucky to get that desk as that's the one that the older kids usually get.

Perfect solution. I do not think you should press this issue. I'm am an advocate of tough love and my kids have learned that they won't get everything they want every single time. I've also made it a point to teach them that being different is something special and it's super cool. If your son can't learn to accept that his desk is special, how will it be when he's in 4th grade or in middle school? I think that if you let this issue go, you'll be doing him a favor in the long run! :D Good luck!
I agree. I'd let it go if I were you. There's a good chance you may need to fight a bigger, more important battle later in the year. And I know alot of teachers, and yes, they would likely think you were one of "those" parents.
Leslie

MamaK321

Cherry Addict

oh my gosh Janell.... I had a hard time getting past the fact that there are only 28 kids in that class!!! That's awesome. We're reaching 40 here.
But for the desk thing, I don't think it'd be awful to ask the teacher again. Back to School night comes up soon, right, and that would be a good time to check out the situation again and maybe even have some other classmates parents around to ask about a trade IF your son is still bothered by it and doesn't fall for the cool-factor twist.
Image Image

AlwaysHappy

Cherry Cola

JanetM wrote:I think that he will be fine with using that one, why don't you point out to him that he's pretty lucky to get that desk as that's the one that the older kids usually get.

I also like this idea. He's the one with the cool desk and that makes him special.
Image ImageImage

imwickedwitch

Cherry Cola

I vote with those who have said to not make a big deal of it. The sooner kids learn to deal with obstacles like that the better. A small victory like this will make it easier to deal with bigger things down the road.
Becky

Image Image Image

SusanZennario

Cherry Bing

This is just me, but I would just tell him the truth....there is a shortage of desks and he got the one he got, and its nobody's fault and wasn't done on purpose to HIM. Make it like its no big deal...."its just a desk" or "think of all the stuff you can stash in there"! LOL!
Image ImageImage Image

Susan Zennario - NJ
Mommy of Johnny (20), Matt (14) and Susie (12)
My Blog - Paper Daisy Dreams

SusanZennario

Cherry Bing

MamaK321 wrote:oh my gosh Janell.... I had a hard time getting past the fact that there are only 28 kids in that class!!! That's awesome. We're reaching 40 here.
But for the desk thing, I don't think it'd be awful to ask the teacher again. Back to School night comes up soon, right, and that would be a good time to check out the situation again and maybe even have some other classmates parents around to ask about a trade IF your son is still bothered by it and doesn't fall for the cool-factor twist.
HOLY MOLY! 40 kids in ONE class! THAT I would complain about! LOL! I have three kids....one out of school and one going into 7th and one going into 8th. In all of these years, never has there been more than 26 kids in one of my kids classes! I know this for a fact because the kids are assigned a number at the beginning of the year and it goes alphabetical. Our last name is Zennario so naturally we are always at the end of the line and the highest any of my kids have ever been was 26! I guess that's something for me to be thankful for! God Bless you trying to keep order and never mind the homework for 40+ students!
Image ImageImage Image

Susan Zennario - NJ
Mommy of Johnny (20), Matt (14) and Susie (12)
My Blog - Paper Daisy Dreams

scrap-o-holic

Cherry Bing

Re: Desk drama at school *Updated*
I'm glad things worked out. A word of advice - seriously don't sweat the small stuff. there will be alot bigger things that happen through out the years that will need your attention. Kids don't like anything that makes them feel different from their peers (even desks)! I always took the approach that if it's my responsibility as the parent to let as little drama as possible consume my kids. That doesn't mean I didn't listen and give hugs. Knowing what to do is hard bc all we really want in the end is for our kiddos to be happy at the moment!
Sometimes the one you think is your knight in shining armour might actually turn out to be a retard in tin foil!

Retiree3

Wild Cherry

I'm glad everything worked out for your son.
[
Donna-Retiree3-Proud Grandmother of Three Boys!

[highlight=#000000][/highlight]

kennabeans

Cherry Cola

That is good. It is hard to let our kids be upset, isn't it. Good job momma!!
ImageImageImage

lilkoala3

Bowl Full of Cherries

And now everyone is gonna want that gimpy desk!
Leslie

JanetM

Sweet Cherry Pie

Glad it's all solved without any big issues, you'll have enouigh of those to deal with. Sounds like everyone is happy now.

Grandma Flowers

Cherry Cropper

Glad it all worked out.
Image Image Image Image

---Jan---

shayla_rose

Cherry Cola

Cool glad it all worked out!

Wheeliegirl

Cherry Jubilee

Glad it all worked out.
ImageImageImageImage
-Donna-

MOM2SNOX

A Cherry on Top

Sweeeet! Glad to see it's been resolved!
Trish ~ It's all fun and games until somebody loses an EYELET!

Ayla

Cherry Addict

Glad things worked out well!
 Image Image
You don't quit playing because you grow old....you grow old because you quit playing.

montana_girl

Cherry Bomb

Glad everything worked out for him! :)
Stacy

AlwaysHappy

Cherry Cola

Great news!
Image ImageImage

Return to “General Talk”

Information