How do you boil eggs?

Moderator: ACOT Employee

girlsmommy
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 172

How do you boil eggs?

Post by girlsmommy »

Strange question, I know. I have always thought that you boil eggs for about ten minutes or so. I was looking on the internet and some people bring to a boil, turn off heat and cover for about 15 minutes. How do you boil eggs?
Stacie

Image Image Image Be who you are, not who you think you should be.
deerewife
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 483

Re: How do you boil eggs?

Post by deerewife »

I put the eggs in the pot, cover with cold water bring to a boil, cover, turn off heat and let sit for 15 minutes.

Now, that's what I normally do - today I boiled for over 15 minutes cause I got on the internet :)
Image Image Image Image

Jenna - Mom to Emily (2/02) & Kaitlyn (2/04)
carrie123
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 699

Post by carrie123 »

I throw them in the water and when they float to the top I turn the heat off and let them sit in the hot water for about 5-10 minutes....
PurpleGoddess
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 10

Post by PurpleGoddess »

I start with cold water and eggs and let it come to a boil. The second it starts boiling, I time it for 6 minutes. At the end of 6 minutes I pour out the boiling water and put cold water in the pan and let it sit in the sink for a bit to stop the cooking and cool them off. I might change the water once more to cool them quickly. They are always perfect and never have that icky green ring on the yolks. Viola!
scrappie_stacie
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 184

Post by scrappie_stacie »

girlsmommy wrote:Strange question, I know. I have always thought that you boil eggs for about ten minutes or so. I was looking on the internet and some people bring to a boil, turn off heat and cover for about 15 minutes. How do you boil eggs?

That's what I do, then after the 15 minutes I fill the pot with cold water to stop the cooking process. You don't get that green around the outside of the yolk if you do it this way.

---------------------------------------------------------
oceanbreezes423
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 2150

Post by oceanbreezes423 »

I start with cold water, bring to a boil and time 15 min. I have always had mine come out fine.
ImageSusan  Image   Image  Image
JeanG
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 5

Post by JeanG »

I put them in cold water, bring to a boil, leave a few minutes, turn the burner off and come back 2 hours later and say, "Oh, Crap!! I forgot about the eggs!"
I wonder, sometimes, if we ever give God a headache.
4peasinourpod
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 816

Post by 4peasinourpod »

omg..so funny...i am doing it right now!
Julia child says put in pot....bring to boil, turn off. 15 minutes later strain and run under cold water ;)

my first batch turned out great ;)
~pam~
-Shannon-
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 148

Post by -Shannon- »

4peasinourpod wrote:omg..so funny...i am doing it right now!
Julia child says put in pot....bring to boil, turn off. 15 minutes later strain and run under cold water ;)

my first batch turned out great ;)

That's how I've always done.

now I want some. dang.
- Shannon

I have an everyday religion that works for me. Love yourself first, and everything else falls into line.
-Lucille Ball

MLee
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 404

Post by MLee »

I do it Julia's way... have never had a problem. Just finished mine, in fact.

Grandma Flowers
Cherry Cropper
Gallery: 5

Post by Grandma Flowers »

girlsmommy wrote:Strange question, I know. I have always thought that you boil eggs for about ten minutes or so. I was looking on the internet and some people bring to a boil, turn off heat and cover for about 15 minutes. How do you boil eggs?
Just like this. But after they've been covered for 15 minutes, drain them and put in ice water until cool.
Image Image Image Image

---Jan---
AlwaysHappy
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 227

Post by AlwaysHappy »

oceanbreezes423 wrote:I start with cold water, bring to a boil and time 15 min. I have always had mine come out fine.
Ditto.. I do mine the same way
Image ImageImage

pawprints
A Cherry on Top
Gallery: 1055

Post by pawprints »

I put them in my steamer! No mess, no fuss, and no pot to clean.

Image Image Image

scrappininAK
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 1886

Post by scrappininAK »

I bring water to a boil then add eggs and boil for 7 minutes. They're perfect softboiled eggs then with runny yolk
Heather

My Blog Unleashed
My Etsy Store CutMania
CutMania Newsletter Sign Up
sherry
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 1

Post by sherry »

I put them in a pot of cold water, turn the heat on high, let it come to a boil, turn the heat down to the lowest setting, let them boil for 20 minutes ( I hate any uncooked center). Then I drain, cover with cold water & lots of ice. I peel while still slightly warm, the peel comes off much better. And it is true- eggs that are purchased a couple of weeks before use peel very easily, much, much better than fresher ones. I've also heard you can add salt or vinegar to the water to help them peel easily.
MamaK321
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 1010

Post by MamaK321 »

AlwaysHappy wrote:
oceanbreezes423 wrote:I start with cold water, bring to a boil and time 15 min. I have always had mine come out fine.
Ditto.. I do mine the same way

double ditto
Image Image
Scraprat
Cherry Cola

Post by Scraprat »

I put the eggs in cold water, bring to a boil, then turn the heat down a couple of notches and boil for 15 minutes. When done, I run cold water and even put ice in sometimes. They always peel real easily and aren't rubbery. My dh told me years ago, he liked my way better than his mom's. Hers were always hard to peel.
Take care of you,
Deb

Kitkat137
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 151

Post by Kitkat137 »

I also start with cold water, bring to a boil and and when they float to the top I turn the temperature to low and let them cook for about 10 mins.
Kat >^..^<

Image Image Image
immom2anc
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 264

Post by immom2anc »

Cold water to start, eggs in; then boil... and forget for about 30 minutes. lol. that's the way it usually works even if it wasn't planned.
**Kristen**
My photography: http://www.kristencarterphotography.com
Image Image ImageImage Image
babykaykz1108
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 40

Post by babykaykz1108 »

Apparently I do it wrong, but they always come out right so I suppose it really isn't wrong, just different. I bring the water to a boil, put the eggs in for about 10 minutes, turn off the burner and let them sit for a few minutes (uncovered) then run cold water over them.

Anyone looking for a really cool egg dying technique, visit Martha's site and check out the marbelized egg instructions. They turn out BEAUTIFUL! We also did some with electrical tape cut outs. Really cool. These were also on Martha Stewart's site.
Have a great day/evening!
Adrienne (babykaykz1108)

Return to “General Talk”