What is cheaper....

Moderator: ACOT Employee

tinkerbelldani
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 5

What is cheaper....

Post by tinkerbelldani »

Carrie123 was talking about what beautiful layouts you can do with digi... I agree.
To those ladies that do digi... what do you think is cheaper the digi or regular scrapbooking?

Digi.....I would think is the cost of printing and

Regular....the cost of paper and embellishments
ImageDani

milmomma
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 67

Re: What is cheaper....

Post by milmomma »

In my experience after years of paper then almost that time digi. Digi has been cheaper for me.
immom2anc
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 264

Post by immom2anc »

I'm a bad digi scrapper and haven't yet printed my layouts, but I'm definitely going to agree that digi is cheaper. I still paper scrap and I can drop $20 at Michael's and only accomplish 4 or 5 layouts, whereas I can print a digi book of 20 or so layouts for the same price. Plus I find a lot of my digi elements for free or make them myself. Something thats harder to do in paper. :)
**Kristen**
My photography: http://www.kristencarterphotography.com
Image Image ImageImage Image
scrappininAK
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 1886

Post by scrappininAK »

I would say digi - you can get tons of great freebies, you don't need a lot of storage, there's no wastage (you don't have to keep buying letter packs to get more "e"'s. Your fav papaers are available over and over. Any mistakes can be easily erased. I never print any of my digi pages off though.
Heather

My Blog Unleashed
My Etsy Store CutMania
CutMania Newsletter Sign Up
dshepard
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 520

Post by dshepard »

I haven't printed off any of mine either, but hope to someday. There's a lot more versatility, and if you need something a different color, you can change the color instead of having to buy more supplies. I started off with some free stuff I found on the internet just to see if I'd like it and I ended up loving it! Some sites have some really cute stuff for free. And you can always look for sales on the digital stuff and get it then. :-D
Danna :)

Proudly creating for Image Image
tinkerbelldani
Sweet Cherry Pie

Post by tinkerbelldani »

immom2anc wrote:I'm a bad digi scrapper and haven't yet printed my layouts, but I'm definitely going to agree that digi is cheaper. I still paper scrap and I can drop $20 at Michael's and only accomplish 4 or 5 layouts, whereas I can print a digi book of 20 or so layouts for the same price. Plus I find a lot of my digi elements for free or make them myself. Something thats harder to do in paper. :)

WOW! that is good price, but to print them you would have to have a photo printer correct? or take it somewhere to print?
ImageDani

sarahwhithers
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 2269

Post by sarahwhithers »

When I've printed out my digi pages I get them at 99 cents plus shipping. So really, it's not that pricey at all. You can get one piece of regular patterned paper for that. So digital is definitely way cheaper in my opinion. :-D
scraptag
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 567

Post by scraptag »

My favorite freebies are from the blog hops! :-D
ajkulig
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 47

Post by ajkulig »

Digital is WAY cheaper there is no cricut or cartridges to buy! No running out of adhesive- but that still doesn't make me want to do it lol I like doing things with my hand feeling the paper and the different textures. I am addicted to my computers but scrapbooking is not some thing I can make myself do on a computer monitor. I think scrapbooking is different things to differnt people and that is why I have my paper only h ang up.
Find my books here. See the mom (crafting, cooking, organizing, and homeschooling) side of me here. {Under construction}
deerewife
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 483

Post by deerewife »

It probably is cheaper to do digi, but I love the feel of stuff and finishing a layout and actually having it to hold in my hands or give away.

Plus, what would I do with my current stash? Selling it is not an option! DH would freak!!
Image Image Image Image

Jenna - Mom to Emily (2/02) & Kaitlyn (2/04)
SBcrazee
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 28

Post by SBcrazee »

Digi is definitely cheaper. But after working on a computer all day, I can't imagine enjoying digi scrapping at the end of the day & on weekends. I need something different & paper scrapping gives me that.

So for me even though the cost is higher, the satisfaction is so much higher too.
ImageImage
dshepard
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 520

Post by dshepard »

deerewife wrote:It probably is cheaper to do digi, but I love the feel of stuff and finishing a layout and actually having it to hold in my hands or give away.

Plus, what would I do with my current stash? Selling it is not an option! DH would freak!!

I also have a LOT of paper supplies I've bought over the last 11 years, so I will have to do regular pages with those. I may do some hybrid...maybe make some photo collages or print out the digital stuff I like and use them with the paper supplies. But my shopping for paper supplies will probably be phased out eventually (I bet my husband would be happy to hear that!) :)
Danna :)

Proudly creating for Image Image
jcsmaestra
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 930

Post by jcsmaestra »

Digi is probably cheaper, but I'm not that good at it. Besides, you can't beat handling the paper, feeling the textures, seeing the dimension of the embellies, etc. I know that digi los look fantastic on the computer, but in person I don't think they look or feel as good as paper los. I love to touch paper los. The feel of the texture and dimension is very satisfying to me.

As far as being able to change colors, sizes, etc. in digi, you can alter colors and sizes in paper scrapping, too. You can make paper look different. you can make some of your own embellies even without a cutting machine. It all depends on how creative you are. I think paper scrapping is just as flexible as digi.
Mary           Love is all around you.

ImageImage  Image Image Image

Grandma Flowers
Cherry Cropper

Post by Grandma Flowers »

I would think digi is cheaper.
Image Image Image Image

---Jan---
oceanbreezes423
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 2144

Post by oceanbreezes423 »

I am not a digi person. I did check it out, and I would say it is less expensive, but I too love the different textures, the dimension of a paper layout. I did a wedding book for my son, and I can't see them having that same reaction over a digital one.
ImageSusan  Image   Image  Image
letumom
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 846

Post by letumom »

I am a self-professed Bi-Scraptual!

I love my digi - I can take it with me on the road, and complete layouts when I'm in a hotel room. There's no mess, and I can use elements over and over again. There are a lot of freebies available - and I started using some of them before I even bought my Photo Shop Elements program - using Microsoft's Publisher program. I am more impressed with my layouts in digi than in paper, especially when viewed on the computer.

BUT

I love my paper too! I haven't learned how to create altered items or cards with digi, yet! And I have tons of stuff that I need to use up. I'm always tempted when new product is released, and I think I'm going to use it for "that special" project or layout. Right now I'm concentrating on a lot of stuff for my dd's wedding - black/white with red themed and wedding products. My paper layouts have a different look IRL than my digi layots, since they have real dimensions.

I have probably spent tons more in paper and supplies, than my digi, but when I get ready to print out the digi, it will not be inexpensive.
Laurie

Flasher
Cherry Crush
Gallery: 323

Post by Flasher »

deerewife wrote:It probably is cheaper to do digi, but I love the feel of stuff and finishing a layout and actually having it to hold in my hands or give away.

Me, too. I have to feel everything and when it's finished I love to feel it and hug it and love it and call it George!

I've suspected that digi would be way cheaper for me, and I've seen quite a few cute kits. But, it's just not for me.
OCD is not an adjective.  It is not a personality quirk. It is not synonymous with being organized.  It is a complex and debilitating mental health illness that affects people of all ages and walks of life, and is defined by the presence of unwanted, intrusive thoughts and repetitive actions. 💙 I am an OCD warrior and I fight for my son. 💙

JDs Mom
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 424

Post by JDs Mom »

Digi--for sure! Between "freebies" and blog trains, I have amassed a ton of papers, elements and entire kits. I have three thumb-drives going--I just added up my used space and have a total of 18 gb's used between the kits I've purchased here at ACOT and the other stuff I've found on line. Now, that being said, I have NOT printed out any layouts, though. But it is still WAAAAAY cheaper than turning me loose at A's and J's each week when I'm working in the "big city!!!"
Carol

ACOT May 2010 Digi Guest CT

formerly CT for Merkeley Designs, Sus Designs and E-scape and Scrap...

reelynn
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 6

Post by reelynn »

Digi is WAY cheaper than paper - even if you print 12x12 at a printing site rather than 8x8 at home like I do.
Shawnery Mathis
sakura-panda
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 48

Post by sakura-panda »

I don't think I agree. I think that supplies-wise, not including tools but including developing of both photos and the digi-layout, they cost about the same. But maybe that is just me.

It costs me about $3 to print a 12x12 layout; a paper layout usually has two or three pieces each of paper, photos and embellishments. Not counting stash in either case, but fresh from the store papers, elements, and kits, I would say it would be about $7 or $8 for a paper layout, same as a digi made with a $4 or $5 kit and $3 for printing.

Of course, in both cases I have stash to work from, so the actual cost per layout is lower. I'm just trying to compare them as equally as possible and starting more or less from scratch seems to be the best way.
~ Katie ~

Return to “General Talk”