Get FREE shipping with your $35 order with code FREESHIP35

LyndaKay

Cherry Jubilee

Pizza stone tips
Has anyone used a pizza stone in their electric oven? I have one that came w/ the oven, but I haven't used it yet and wondered if anyone had any TIPS before I burn a good meal.

Lynda

grifscap

Chocolate Covered Cherry

Re: Pizza stone tips
Never used one myself.

MLee

Cherry Cola

Is it just the round ceramic pizza stone? If so, I use mine all of the time.

• Don't put it on a warm burner on the top of the oven - they can crack.
  • Don't wash it soapy water - they absorb the taste and smell of dishwashing liquid. You should have a scraper that will get off any hard stuff and then rinse them off with water and you're done.
  • The natural oils from cooking - cookies, breads, pizza, etc., will season the stone and you shouldn't have to coat it with a cooking spray. I used some lightly in the beginning but I never do now
  • Things cook just a little faster on them than on a regular sheet pan so watch your foods at first.
  • However, things cook more evenly and brown beautifully. I don't even know how to bake on anything else anymore.

LyndaKay

Cherry Jubilee

MLee wrote:Is it just the round ceramic pizza stone? If so, I use mine all of the time.

• Don't put it on a warm burner on the top of the oven - they can crack.
  • Don't wash it soapy water - they absorb the taste and smell of dishwashing liquid. You should have a scraper that will get off any hard stuff and then rinse them off with water and you're done.
  • The natural oils from cooking - cookies, breads, pizza, etc., will season the stone and you shouldn't have to coat it with a cooking spray. I used some lightly in the beginning but I never do now
  • Things cook just a little faster on them than on a regular sheet pan so watch your foods at first.
  • However, things cook more evenly and brown beautifully. I don't even know how to bake on anything else anymore.
Thanks so much, especially for the cleaning tips. I didn't know about the absorption. Big help!!

Lynda

jcsmaestra

Cherry Cola

I use my primarily for warming or making pizza. I put it in the oven before I turn it on. By the time the pizza goes in, it's hot enough to make a beautiful brown crust quickly.

I never used it for other foods. What do you make on it?
Mary           Love is all around you.

ImageImage  Image Image Image

anazelia

Cherry Cola

We love ours. We make homemade pizza all the time with. We typically preheat the oven with the stone in it. Then place the pizza on it- we never use it for anything else. We also don't wash it. We will wipe it off with a wet paper towel, but that is it.

Northern Brat

Chocolate Covered Cherry

I so love mine!!!!

Like M'Lee said...totally agree....although, I do use soap on it...I know they say that you shouldn't, but I don't feel that it's "clean" if soap isn't used. I just make sure that it's rinsed off with alot of hot water. I haven't had an issue with it, and did I say I love it???? :-D
Leslie
2012: Goal - 75 layouts 4 mini albums 20 cards --------> Progress - layouts mini album - cards
J - /6
ImageImage

scraptag

Cherry Cola

I have one from pampered chef, and it's great. But I only have one, so have to use the ol cookie sheet for the second pizza. It always come out better on the stone, because it cooks more evenly.

meteechtap

Cherry Cola

We have a ceramic one and it stays in our electric oven! We LOVE it! Pizza is sooo much better with it! Highly recomend it!
~Janet~Image Image Image
Celebrity Cherry 5/10 , Guest Ct 5/11

LyndaKay

Cherry Jubilee

Thanks everyone for the tips. I'll start out with pizza, but maybe will try it with cookies someday.

Lynda

PezKat

Chocolate Covered Cherry

I love mine, too! I never preheat it though, I didn't think you were supposed to. They recommend that you cook something fatty on it the first time, like crescent rolls or biscuits, to help season it. It's awesome for crescent or any rolls, because it's very difficult to burn things on the stone! That's one of the things I love about it. And yeah, definitely don't soak it in soapy water! DH did that to one of ours once & I got out the baking soda to try to get the soap smell out of it. They really clean (scrape) pretty easily.

Enjoy!
Image Image

Art_Teacher

Cherry Crush

I have a Pampered Chef one, too, and I always make pizza and rolls on it! One more tip: Don't put frozen food that is small in the center of a large stone...the heat differential will crack it...learned that the hard way. No problem with a full-size pizza, though.:-D
Laura
 Image    Image         Image

Grandma Flowers

Cherry Cropper

I haven't used mine in years, but M'Lee has some good tips. I don't know why I quit using it.
Image Image Image Image

---Jan---

LaWanna

Cherry Blossom

I use mine all the time with an electric oven too. They are great for pizza and even cookies. I understand that cooking time is just a bit shorter, so you need to keep an eye on it. For cookies, the time is shorter for the first batch, but after the stone gets hot the time is about the same. For cleaning, no soap, just hot water. I have a scraper from Pampered Chef to get everything off and leave it on the counter to dry. It will perform better the worse it looks. The first time you cook something on it, make something kind of oily/greasy like canned biscuits that will help season it.
LaWanna Desjardin
Find Desjardin Digital Designs on Facebook!
Blog: A Happy Distraction
Handmade Purses, Tote and More

** Yes that's my little dog sneaking a Dum-Dum Sucker.

scrappie_stacie

Cherry Bomb

I have several pampered chef stones. My favorite is their bar pan. Just made pepperoni bread tonite for my son and his friends. We use it for everything... pizza, fish sticks, chicken tenders, tater tots, fries, pork tenderloin, chicken parm, cookies! Like everyone else has said it cooks evenly and I find it doesn't seem to burn things like a normal cookie sheet might. Definitely don't use soap!!!

---------------------------------------------------------

milmomma

Chocolate Covered Cherry

I have two from pamper chef and love them! I use it for everything! From pork chops to pizza, cookies to pizza rolls, bagel bites, chicken, crescent rolls, bread sticks, everything! I have a wilton cookie sheet but prefer my stones. Anything I can cook that doesn't need sides ;)

JDs Mom

Cherry Bomb

Don't every expect it to look again like the day you first used it--the grosser it looks, the better it cooks!!
Carol

ACOT May 2010 Digi Guest CT

formerly CT for Merkeley Designs, Sus Designs and E-scape and Scrap...

Dianedi

Cherry Garcia

Great thread! Thanks for all of the tips! I've had a pizza stone for years, but I've never used it!

MarthaT

Sweet Cherry Pie

JDs Mom wrote:Don't every expect it to look again like the day you first used it--the grosser it looks, the better it cooks!!

Mine is so black
ImageImage

scrappie_stacie

Cherry Bomb

MarthaT wrote:
JDs Mom wrote:Don't every expect it to look again like the day you first used it--the grosser it looks, the better it cooks!!

Mine is so black

Mine are gross looking too! If someone didn't know that's how they're supposed to be they probably wouldn't eat anything I cooked on it... LOL!

---------------------------------------------------------

Return to “General Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee