Get FREE shipping with your $35 order with code FREESHIP35

RitaS

Cherry Bing

Is This A Sales pitch??
We now have a wireless laptop - but our home does not have wireless capabilities. I've been looking up wireless routers, figuring there will be some great deals this next week.

Before I settle on a brand, I thought I should call the local phone company to see if they have a recommendation as to a brand that works better with their DSL modem. The guy tells me we have to rent a wireless modem from them or it won't work. Huh??? What's that - a sales pitch?

Why would companies like amazon and best buy even sell wireless routers if they are not compatible with phone company DSL modems?

Doing the math, at $4 rental/mo once we get past month 17 we are paying beyond what we can buy one for outright.
Rita S

Life is about second chances. There would be no hope if God didn't give us another.

-Tracy-

Wild Cherry

Re: Is This A Sales pitch??
Did he understand that you were looking for a router? Your post says he said you need to use their wireless *modem*.
On a molecular level, I'm very busy.

Brandon Singer

Site Admin

If your DSL modem has a network port, then can basically use any (there are non that I know of that wouldn't work). Our DSL modem has a network port on it, probably most do. You just need to plug in a network cord into your DSL modem and then into the WAN port on your wireless router.
-Echo

AnnOminous

Chocolate Covered Cherry

I had to buy my modem from AT&T. and I think I got a rebate

ajkulig

Cherry Bing

HA that's funny. I am sure they tell people that and sucker people who don't know better in all the time. At $5 a month for a year you can buy the one we have on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WRT54G2-W ... 551&sr=8-3
Find my books here. See the mom (crafting, cooking, organizing, and homeschooling) side of me here. {Under construction}

MarthaT

Sweet Cherry Pie

No, you don't have to buy thiers, they should tell you what models work though
ImageImage

bayouscrap

Sweet Cherry Pie

Not sure who your phone company is but in my case it is AT&T (formerly SBC). I bought their router when I first signed on with them I went through 2 of them and finally bought a Netgear but it gives me fits all the time as far as working with the ISP. The phone company are of absolutly no help since I don't have their router.
Michelle
Born to Crop not to Mop!

ImageImage

kennabeans

Cherry Cola

When we finally got wireless, we asked the company that hooked ours up. They recommended theirs but told us we could get another brand if we wanted. They just told us not to get to chinzy because you get what you pay for.
ImageImageImage

JeanG

Cherry Cola

yeah. What Brandon said....:-D :-D
I wonder, sometimes, if we ever give God a headache.

AmyTeets

Digital Designers

yeah, that's BS. They just came out with an "N" router. We have a nice one because we have gaming systems as well.
Amy Teets Designs

My Blog
Facebook
Semper Fi

Snag Me!

deerewife

Cherry Jubilee

Yep any router will work. There are however some phone companies that will tell you that they sell a wireless 'modem'. I don't see the need for that extra when you can just plug the router into the existing modem.

Now, dh wired our house so we could have internet everywhere...but our dsl modem's signal isn't strong enough to split so we ended up with a wireless router. we only have problems when the phone rings...they must share something that knocks the wireless offline while the cordless is in use.
Image Image Image Image

Jenna - Mom to Emily (2/02) & Kaitlyn (2/04)

Ashjoy

Cherry Bomb

Yes, we have a wireless and don't rent it from anybody. That is just crazy. And we can see several of our neighbors on our computers.
Joyce 

RitaS

Cherry Bing

-Tracy- wrote:Did he understand that you were looking for a router? Your post says he said you need to use their wireless *modem*.
Yep - told him I was trying to decide which wireless router to get to put on the DSL modem and wanted to know if the phone co. had a brand preference for compatibility. He told me a router would not work and we would have to get their modem.
Rita S

Life is about second chances. There would be no hope if God didn't give us another.

milmomma

Chocolate Covered Cherry

AmyTeets wrote:yeah, that's BS. They just came out with an "N" router. We have a nice one because we have gaming systems as well.

I smell steaming poooooooo. That's so not true. Even AT&T which we've had will make you buy theirs, but its like 50$(You don't need it!). I have yet to see a company where you have to use theirs. After our talk, I know you should be able to pick up any you like :) Ignore the butt on the phone he just wants your money.

Return to “General Talk”

Information

Moderators

ACOT Employee