I think it needs to be said

Moderator: ACOT Employee

JeanG
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 5

Re: I think it needs to be said

Post by JeanG »

I've been thinking about this a lot recently - well, since we started with Question of the Day and Fill in the Blank. I haven't answered a lot of them because I felt I might give away too much information. I didn't answer the high school question for the same reason. It's too easy for someone to build profiles on us. I'm not so paranoid that I never answer them - I just try to be careful of what I do say. And I don't think the Question of the Day or any of the questions asked should stop - it's fun! Like Tracy said, we just have to be a bit careful.  Thanks, Tracy, for bringing it up.
I wonder, sometimes, if we ever give God a headache.
KBeachy
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 1

Post by KBeachy »

Thank you for the reminder! That is so important!
Semper Fi
Flapdoodle
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 3

Post by Flapdoodle »

Koiwey wrote:
Judes wrote: I agree.  I was thinking:  Who needs to know my middle name and where I went to high school?  Use your heads, people.

They were my posts. I was just asking in a friendly way....no need to get rude about anything. You don't have to answer- you have a choice. Why do I start to feel that this is reminiscent of high school bully days? Sad, no need for paranoia- the only thing you have to fear, is fear itself. LOL
You should try and look at it from our point of view. Here is a new person coming onto the board, asking some (albeit innocent) personal questions. It totally sent up a red flag with me.  That's why I didn't really answer the one seriously.
ImageIf life gives you lemons, go find an annoying person with paper cuts.
stinky_pete
Cherry Tart

Post by stinky_pete »

you do have to be careful.  I had my billfold stolen out of my purse from work one day.  My DL and other info like that was stolen.  I am a lot more careful now.
pawprints
A Cherry on Top
Gallery: 1066

Post by pawprints »

I also want to add to this... don't mention your first name, last name, and then your date of birth! Again, although we may all be talking among ourselves, as long as we are talking on the Internet we are not having private conversations (as many of you have pointed out). Thanks to Tracy for bringing this to everyone's attention.

ImageImage Image Image  

handerful
Cherry Cropper
Gallery: 430

Post by handerful »

hmm.  I just googled my screen name and it took me to some posts I have made... many of them to pages in the gallery here.  

I did learn something.  I thought I had made up the word "handerful"  but Nat King Cole has a song named "A Handerful of Stars".  I will have to check it out...
Image Image
RACHEL
AlwaysHappy
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 227

Post by AlwaysHappy »

baltoscrapper wrote: ok, now I am paranoid!! I've posted lots of personal info! :? But, I lied about it all..............my name is really "KAren", my dh is actually "Bubba" and my daughter (not son as once thought) is Bubba Jr. We all live in a trailer in Nebraska , not Baltimore as previously stated. So, while you thought you all knew me, it was all a big fat lie! Forget what you heard and just call me Karen now! :winkb:
Oh my gosh Karen!! Does that mean those kittens are actually puppies dressed up to look like kittens?  Is JT Jr really named Spot?  Don't tell me the truth.  I can't handle it. 
Image ImageImage

Kari_H
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 246

Post by Kari_H »

MLee wrote: Tracy, I cannot believe you posted this. I went to bed thinking about this last night!! There has been so much very intimate, very detailed stuff shared lately that, if desired, a lot could be constructed about certain lives very easily. I was actually going to post the very same thing when I read your message so THANK YOU for the PSA!!

A year and half ago I became very aware of how easily people can go back and find anything and everything about you just with google and your name. We leave so much of our personal lives on SBing boards and I ended up with a stalker who was not very nice at all. They weren't a thief but a very nasty person. So please be careful. Not everyone on SBing MBs are who or what they seem, even those that you *think* are your online friends. :waiting: You really don't know anything about them at all.

In 2005 I went to visit Charleneanne in CA. Thank God she's a sweet and honest person. I only knew her from being online here with us at ACOT. When my current DH heard about the way I flew out to visit her after only knowing her across the miles, he was completely FLOORED that my family would let me go and do that especially my ex DH. I had a great time in CA and am glad I went, but what if..... you know? The DH told me to get any ideas of doing that ever again out of my head, at least this one cares.. LOL. BTW, if it is to CA to see Charlene, I can go. ;) Oh yeah and the best part of the trip was Charlene making sure my friend Allen wasn't a freak whom I also knew from playing Sims Online. I could've been dumpster fodder 2x over!!!
Kari ----- "Women with whips, 82% more likely to get what they want."

Check out my site! http://countryroadphotography.zenfolio.com/
Nikki_E
Cherry Cropper
Gallery: 19

Post by Nikki_E »

You don't have to give out personal info to get your identity messed up.  Someone was using my social and the authorities said they probably just made up a number and it happened to be mine!  Be careful everyone and thanks for bringing it up.
Nikki

When you see me with a smile on my face, then you'll know I'm a mental case. ~ Alice Cooper
lpap0807
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 32

Post by lpap0807 »

Thanks for the reminder
Have a blessed day!
kennabeans
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 39

Post by kennabeans »

Very well put and a great reminder to us all.
ImageImageImage
gonecamping
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 129

Post by gonecamping »

I just googled myself, not much interesting there. But I am going to start doing that on a regular basis to make sure things stay that way!
***Tanya***
emarie803
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 691

Post by emarie803 »

gonecamping wrote:I just googled myself, not much interesting there. But I am going to start doing that on a regular basis to make sure things stay that way!

Yeah, same here!
scrapaholic
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 5

Post by scrapaholic »

It is scary.
Have a coke and a smile!Image
Judes
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by Judes »

Koi, I apologize for the tone of my remark.  You keep on asking your questions.
[font=Arial:ohrhf522]Pages completed in 2010: 179
Pages completed in 2011: 121
An ideologue knows he's right. A person of faith knows only that he doesn't know. ----Walter Gustafson, Everett. From Seattle Times, Letters to the Editor, 26 Mar 2007.[/font:ohrhf522][/size:ohrhf522][/font]
Flapdoodle
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by Flapdoodle »

Aw, Judes. That was sweet of you. :)
Koiwey
Sweet Cherry Pie

Post by Koiwey »

Judes wrote: Koi, I apologize for the tone of my remark.  You keep on asking your questions.

Thank you very much, Judes. It takes a special person to apologize like this and I hope that we all keep enjoying our time on the board together. I now look forward to your posts, too.
All is well.   :)
Carol
Enjoy for we will never have this day again.
Koi
Koiwey
Sweet Cherry Pie

Post by Koiwey »

Flapdoodle wrote: Aw, Judes. That was sweet of you. :)

Fair warning, Flap! If it starts up again today,  a direct call to Kristen will finish it. I have met you before on a playground in 3rd grade- you were the one always kicking sand in everyone's face and making them cry. Leave me alone and go on about your day.
Carol
Enjoy for we will never have this day again.
Koi
Flapdoodle
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by Flapdoodle »

WHOA. Threatening me? Really?
suslvgeo
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 517

Post by suslvgeo »

okay people, don't make me pull out my mad moderator skills.

You do realize I am super grouchy after my loverly DC trip, right?? :winkb: :-D
SUS ImageImageImage

Return to “General Talk”